Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: New York
THOR #3187
Old question Gas VS Diesel

So I know its probably been asked a million times but which is better. Gas or Diesel engine? I know gas is noisier and diesel has less repairs or longer maintenance schedule. I have a gas ACE now and find it very loud , but so much has gone wrong with it in its first year just wondering if I should of gotten a diesel.

thoughts?

Old 11-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl
gas is noisier and diesel
I'm not sure many people would agree with that.

In general Diesel engines are louder than an equivalent gas engine. Diesel pushers are quieter for the driver simply because the engine is as far away from the driver as possible.

This an age old question and you'll see many arguments in favor for each. It usually comes down to preferences and budget.

Quote:
but so much has gone wrong with it in its first year just wondering if I should of gotten a diesel.
The quality of the coach isn't related to the powertrain. The quality is based on the manufacturer. It is very likely that if you purchased an equivalent Thor Diesel pusher to your ACE you may have had all the same issues or similar ones at least.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 01:54 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
As has been pointed out several times -- the Ford V-10 is a fairly high revving engine. That makes it fairly load. There is probably insufficient sound absorbing insulation behind the dashboard, under the dog house, and under the floor. Incresing the insulation should help mitigate the noise.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #4

THOR #3187
Is installing insulation something that I can do myself ?
Old 11-09-2015, 02:18 PM   #5

THOR #2601
Yes -- you can order FatMat from amazon (has a sticky backing that you just peel off a plastic sheet covering). JamieGeek had applied additional insulation to his dog house and also added additional insulation under his dash on his Axis. He might weigh in and give you a better description since I haven't added insulation to my Vegas yet.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 11-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #6

THOR #3187
So a fat Mat can be used in any kind of RV to cover the dog house?
Old 11-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I rally with 2 FMCA chapters and 0ver 50 percent of the members in one chapter own diesel pushers ranging from Tiffin to Prevost with the majority being American Coach and Monaco. Whenever we rally I always get the third degree about "when are you going to upgrade to a DP? During the last rally after listening to all the pros of upgrading to a DP, I looked at one of the folks asking the all to familiar question and answered with another question which was "Have you paid off the 15K for your engine replacement on the way to Alaska last year?" End of discussion.

Only you can answer the question about should you have bought a diesel. It is after all only you that can adequately determine you RV camping style, miles driven per year, and financial situation. Until others can accurately describe your Rv'ing lifestyle, situation and conditions they are only providing their personal opinion.

Bottom line, find the fit that works for you and realize all motorhomes will have their quirks and issues. Once you have done that then you can truly enjoy the trip. Who knows, maybe the perfect fit is the coach parked in your driveway. I know at the present time I am preparing our fit for its next trip down the road in about 20 days, 22.5 hours.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #8

THOR #2601
Fat-Mat is just heat resistant sheet insulation with a sticky backing. You order it in various sixed sheets and cut it to size and fit, pull off the backing and put it in place. Here is a link to Amazon -- it comes in various thicknesses and sheet sizes. I think JamieGeek used 3/4 inch thick.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_2gz7azxazo_e
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 11-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl View Post
Here is the link to a post I did earlier this year when I sound deadened my Challenger. This is a project that anyone that is minimally mechanically included can perform. Simple tools, screwdriver, scissors, razor knife are all that were needed.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f8/...egin-1515.html

There are other posts where folks have insulated the dog house and A pillars on the Axis as well.

My next project in this area is going to be the floor under the driver's and passenger's seats.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Here are some of the threads about using Fatmat to deaden the sound:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...ffled-897.html
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...egas-1504.html

The one sheet I purchased was big enough to cover the inside of the doghouse and still have a ton extra. Recently I cut it up and used the rest to cover as much as I could under the dash--at least what I could reach from the front "hood".
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:16 AM   #11

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I looked at a couple of 2016 Windsport models a few days ago and saw that they have linoleum on the floor on the driver and passenger sides, and there is no carpet covering the dog house. Ours is all carpeted. I wonder if the models without the carpeting will be louder, particularly due to engine and road noise?
Old 11-13-2015, 03:18 AM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl View Post
Mr. Obvious here: The Fat mat goes on the underside of the doghouse.

Our old coach had carpeting over the doghouse, and it was louder than our 2016 Vegas. I believe Thor listened, and added more insulation in the Vegas/Axis somewhere along.

Back to the original question of gas vs. diesel. I've had both. Diesels are great for daily use and long runs. For many RVers, gas engines will handle sitting for months better than the diesels. Diesels shine when you put on a lot of miles and climb a lot of mountains.

Since the cost of diesel rose above gasoline, the economics of diesels aren't as good as years ago. New ones have the extra expense and hassle of DEF. Soundwise, no comparison between a front engine and a rear engine.

Remember, you will get some of the extra cost of the diesel back when you sell or trade. There is no simple answer to the diesel/gas question.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:33 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
....cut.... Soundwise, no comparison between a front engine and a rear engine. ....cut....
Good point, and as also mentioned by Jamie previously, diesel pushers are generally quieter because engine is all the way at back.

The loudest motorhome I've tested was a Front Engine Diesel (FRED). We couldn't talk normally -- the sound level was horrendous. Vibration at idle was bad too.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I have had both a diesel pusher and a few gas motor homes. All of the previous comments are correct, particularly the ease of cruising on hilly terrain with a diesel. After 52 years of driving gas powered vehicles, I never had a problem with a poor tankful of gasoline, however, during the eight years that we owned a diesel pusher we got a tankful of bad diesel that affected the big engine and the generator. I don't know if contaminated diesel is more common that contaminated gasoline. Also, our diesel pusher had two fuel filters, an oil filter, and a monstrous air filter. Replacing all of them was expensive.

We had air brakes and air suspension, so the motor home braked very well and rode like on a cloud.