Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27B
State: Tennessee
THOR #14933
WiFi Ranger poor performance

WiFi Ranger came factory installed on my MH. Every time I've used it, I got a worse signal/speeds than just accessing internet using my ATT data plan without it. Recently at campground with almost non-existent ATT signal and with WiFI Ranger got nothing. I contacted the company and not much help. Anyone else have similar results?

Old 06-13-2019, 05:08 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The Ranger cannot increase speed of existing source. It can only help pull whatever service is out there a bit stronger to you. Most campgrounds have tons of people drawing from the system and they also cut back speeds the more you use it. It keeps people from streaming TV and downloading movies on their system. for emails, they (CG's) are OK...for good internet speeds...worthless.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgscooter View Post
WiFi Ranger came factory installed on my MH. Every time I've used it, I got a worse signal/speeds than just accessing internet using my ATT data plan without it. Recently at campground with almost non-existent ATT signal and with WiFI Ranger got nothing. I contacted the company and not much help. Anyone else have similar results?
You're comparing apples and oranges.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the Wifi Ranger and similar 'antenna' systems to help you find and connect to the internet are much less meaningful in the new era of 'Unlimited data' via most cell phone providers...though it's still useful if you run 'out' of data, are throttled down on your cell data, or just want to preserve your cell plan data for use later...

but, no, the wifi ranger cannot 'give' you anything more than what's available where you are. If McDonalds is nearby, you may can pick it up on the wifi ranger, and yet not see it at all on your phone, which is an example of where it may be 'handy', when you need it. Sometimes campground and rv park wifi signals are either weak, not close enough to your site for your phone to pick up, or are otherwise hard to attach to with you phone - the wifi ranger gives you the ability to bring in a stronger signal, amplify it, and provide it to ALL your phones and devices within your RV, especially the dedicated ipad and computer devices that dont' have a cellular option.

One great thing about a wifi ranger is the ability, at some restricted campgrounds and parks, where you use your wifi ranger as the only 'allowed' attachment to their internet wifi signal, and yet share it to ALL your onboard devices... the campground only sees your single device. This is important when you see 'Tengonet' and other campground third-party wifi services, where it's either only 'free' for a single device, or you are charged on a 'per device' basis....most of us have MANY devices!

but, I'll admit, while we have a wifi ranger, we rarely use it anymore - the AT&T signal is just available at most areas where we need it, and even though our cell plan is throttled, it's still usable without the addition or need of a secondary 'wifi ranger' type antenna, since it is only for wifi only.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:06 AM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
the Wifi Ranger and similar 'antenna' systems to help you find and connect to the internet are much less meaningful in the new era of 'Unlimited data' via most cell phone providers...though it's still useful if you run 'out' of data, are throttled down on your cell data, or just want to preserve your cell plan data for use later...

but, no, the wifi ranger cannot 'give' you anything more than what's available where you are. If McDonalds is nearby, you may can pick it up on the wifi ranger, and yet not see it at all on your phone, which is an example of where it may be 'handy', when you need it. Sometimes campground and rv park wifi signals are either weak, not close enough to your site for your phone to pick up, or are otherwise hard to attach to with you phone - the wifi ranger gives you the ability to bring in a stronger signal, amplify it, and provide it to ALL your phones and devices within your RV, especially the dedicated ipad and computer devices that dont' have a cellular option.

One great thing about a wifi ranger is the ability, at some restricted campgrounds and parks, where you use your wifi ranger as the only 'allowed' attachment to their internet wifi signal, and yet share it to ALL your onboard devices... the campground only sees your single device. This is important when you see 'Tengonet' and other campground third-party wifi services, where it's either only 'free' for a single device, or you are charged on a 'per device' basis....most of us have MANY devices!

but, I'll admit, while we have a wifi ranger, we rarely use it anymore - the AT&T signal is just available at most areas where we need it, and even though our cell plan is throttled, it's still usable without the addition or need of a secondary 'wifi ranger' type antenna, since it is only for wifi only.
Well said. Plus using your hot spot is a secure network. I would NEVER open up any bank or financial web link on a free WiFi network. I have a WiFi Ranger on the roof and the Go A/C. I use the Go AC all the time to connect all of my devices to and use my ATT hot spot as the data source. But if I am in a dead zone I can always use the Ranger to pull in a WiFi signal. If you need to be connected all of the time, the Ranger is just one tool that you should carry. The few times I have called WiFi Ranger, they have been super helpful and knowledgeable.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:26 PM   #6

State: New York
THOR #15037
I am in total agreement.

I have been playing with it since purchasing my Windsport in March. I don't expect a lot out of it, but it definitely doesn't do as presented. I have watched their videos and read manuals.

One of the big things is not having to log into several different units (hotspots, campground wifi and even your cell) This even doesn't work. My Roku is right under the unit and doesn't stay connected and/or my cell phone is seen and then not.

The one thing that I have done to help with some stress is I have a tablet that I no longer use. I have set that up to be the controller for WiFi Ranger. That way I am able to check it when it appears to be down and/or look for other nearby open wifi units to connect to.

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #7

Model: Windsport 27B
State: Tennessee
THOR #14933
Wi-fi Ranger Videos

None of the Wi-Fi Ranger videos I found are the same version as was factory installed on my Windsport. I was wondering if you upgrade to the version with sim card etc if it's any better? In reviews/videos people refer to accessing networks "miles" away. I was in McDonalds lot and got stronger signal/speeds on my devices without using Wifi ranger.