Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13098
Onan Generator Issue

While driving thru Ohio last Thursday in the pouring rain, I mean Noah-like rain, I noticed the generator light on the panel was lit. The generator was not running but it was making a noise, well, like it was trying to start. The starter motor was not running, but it was almost like the solenoid was wanting to engage. The noise was like a "puff puff puff puff". This went on for many miles until we stopped for the night. I removed the generator cover and left the unit dry out and the noise stopped and has been fine the rest of our (dry) trip home. Has any one experienced this? I am going to spray some dielectric grease on the exposed contacts to prevent this in the future.
TIA

Old 06-22-2019, 05:51 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
I wonder if the hard rain got into the gen control board connector and maybe caused the priming circuit to activate? Now that the gen area has dried out, if you hold the remote gen start button down to stop position the red light should come on and the generator fuel pump will come on to prime the generator .......until you release the button. Is that sound the same one you heard while driving in the rain?
Old 06-22-2019, 06:42 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13098
That's it....Thanks! I also noticed that my generator cover did not fit properly (either poor design or assembly by Thor) and might have allowed water to get into the unit. I have since modified the cover so that it fits as intended.
Again, thanks!
Old 06-22-2019, 11:18 PM   #4

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Glad to help. By the way, when you run the generator for longer than a few minutes, you should always make sure the cover panel is on it because it helps with ducting cooling air over the gen. So if you leave the gen cover off and close the gen coach door while running long term (thinking you will get more cool air through there) you may actually overheat the gen and warp the door from heat. FYI.