Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2017, 02:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Onan generator starting

Spent about 6 hours and 10,000 steps at the Tampa RV show, and here's the best tip I picked up. I asked the Onan rep why my generator doesn't usually start on the first try after priming, but always starts on the second try, or sometimes if I let it crank long enough.

His answer was simple, hold the prime button for longer after the light comes on, maybe another 10 seconds. The cause might be that the fuel in the line drains back some after being shut off. Can't wait to try this out!

I asked the Thor rep why there are no drip rails on the Vegas, and why the right mirror on the Vegas isn't spaced out to see around the awning rails. His reply was the stock company line, that each enhancement adds to the cost and they want to hold the price point.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:14 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

I asked the Thor rep why there are no drip rails on the Vegas, and why the right mirror on the Vegas isn't spaced out to see around the awning rails. His reply was the stock company line, that each enhancement adds to the cost and they want to hold the price point.
On our Tuscany I had the same problem, could only see the awning rail. I called the company that made the mirror and asked if they made longer arms, mine was an eight inch length. Company said yes, they made arms out to 14 inches. I asked what the price difference was, same price. I said why don't you send Thor longer arms, they said they send what Thor orders.

I was able to purchase just the arm, which they normally don't do, for $75.
They answer of adding cost doesn't hold water so I call BS on that one!
Old 01-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut...

If I understand your mirror question correctly, another solution may be to go with newer awning design that doesn't have vertical rails attached to wall, but rather cantilever out from top. I saw quite a few of those at show, including on Thor motorhomes, that look cleaner, more aero, and eliminate head knockers. Cost may be higher though.

Price point is obviously important, but I think limits design too much, particularly when it comes to their perceived size classes. We were shopping with another couple (different types of units) and were all disappointed on how the industry limits choices by size. That should be a different thread since it has nothing to do with Onan.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If I understand your mirror question correctly, another solution may be to go with newer awning design that doesn't have vertical rails attached to wall, but rather cantilever out from top. I saw quite a few of those at show, including on Thor motorhomes, that look cleaner, more aero, and eliminate head knockers. Cost may be higher though.

The Axis/Vegas, and most all newer model RVs, have the new style awnings. You still have the rails on the side that support the awining apparatus, and they stick out from the side almost 2 inches. The reason it is a problem for Axis/Vegas is that the front is tapered so that the mirror mount isn't flush with the sides from the start. The left mirror has a clear view, but the right is obstructed by that awning rail.

I'd consider spending $75 for a longer right mirror arm. Anyone know where to go for that?
Old 01-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Note that the Tuscany has different mirrors which are way more flexible. Thus it is easier to install longer arms as they are removable.

The Axis/Vegas arms are more permanently mounted to the side (I would suspect to get a longer arm you'd have to order the whole mirror--but that is also the case with the Tuscany and SuperD just got lucky).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #6

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

The Axis/Vegas, and most all newer model RVs, have the new style awnings. You still have the rails on the side that support the awining apparatus, and they stick out from the side almost 2 inches. The reason it is a problem for Axis/Vegas is that the front is tapered so that the mirror mount isn't flush with the sides from the start. The left mirror has a clear view, but the right is obstructed by that awning rail.

I'd consider spending $75 for a longer right mirror arm. Anyone know where to go for that?
I was thinking of the even newer awnings that have no vertical supports. They cantilever out and thus would not interfere with rear view from mirror. That's a longer-term Thor solution that doesn't help you though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	271
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	3763  
Old 01-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #7

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Maybe im missing something here but cant you guys adjust your mirrors

Jerry

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:08 PM   #8

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Maybe im missing something here but cant you guys adjust your mirrors

Jerry

The mirrors can be adjusted but don't stick out far enough to see around the awning rails. Kinda like having a passenger with their elbow sticking out the window, just can't see around it.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:20 PM   #9

THOR #3156
When i got my mh the right mirror fully adjusted out hardly showed me the road. I had a good view of the mh side. On my mirror there are 3 allen screws where the mirror attaches to the post. I loosened one screw which allowed me to turn the entire mirror assembly. Now i have full view of the road. The 3 screws each control a different adjustment. I was lucky the first one i trird was the one i needed. If i remember correctly it was the only screw i could get to

I would think (which is difficult for me) thats would be all you guys need

Jerry

FMCA # F464385
Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice
When i got my mh the right mirror fully adjusted out hardly showed me the road. I had a good view of the mh side. On my mirror there are 3 allen screws where the mirror attaches to the post. I loosened one screw which allowed me to turn the entire mirror assembly. Now i have full view of the road. The 3 screws each control a different adjustment. I was lucky the first one i trird was the one i needed. If i remember correctly it was the only screw i could get to

I would think (which is difficult for me) thats would be all you guys need
Nope: My mirrors were like that and I adjusted them--still can't see around the awning.

If you look at an Axis/Vegas floorplan:

Note how the front of the unit is tapered. This makes it hard enough to see behind the unit through the mirrors as you have to adjust them to get around the taper. Now add the 3" or so from the awning rail on the passenger side.

The mirror arms really could be longer (on both sides) by an inch or two. What makes this more frustrating is when the camera's embedded in the mirrors decide to cut out.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:37 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29D
THOR #5756
I hated the cheap mirrors Thor put on my motorhome, and after a little searching around, I found that Ramco (Ramco-eng.com) made some mirrors that I liked. I contacted them and came across a project engineer, who was willing to work with me. He found a mirror arm that had a similar base to the one I had on my motorhome, but was about 3" longer and carried a mirror head that has almost doubled the size of my old one - similar to the ones they put on the "big rigs") Their pricing was very reasonable. I can only recommend to check with them and see what they have to offer to solve your problems.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #12

THOR #3156
Make more sense now. My hurricane isnt tapered like that

FMCA # F464385
Old 04-01-2017, 05:47 AM   #13

State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
Onan Generator Priming Procedure

I have a 2016 Axis 24.1 with the 4000 watt Onan. How do I prime the generator before cranking it ? Didn't realize there was a way to prime it until I read it on the Forum. Thanks
Old 04-01-2017, 05:51 AM   #14

State: Tennessee
THOR #3372
Onan Generator Priming Procedure

How do you prime the Onan 4000 watt gas Generator prior to start ?
Old 04-01-2017, 08:21 AM   #15

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
hold the button in for 50 seconds then crank it. if it don't start hold it 20 more seconds then it will start.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:07 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick104
How do you prime the Onan 4000 watt gas Generator prior to start ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigwelder
hold the button in for 50 seconds then crank it. if it don't start hold it 20 more seconds then it will start.
Hold the button on "Stop" until the light comes on. While the light is on the pump is running priming. Keep the light on for 30-50 seconds or so.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #17

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post

well there is a "cost", even if the parts cost the same....it might mean Thor would have to track, order, and stock multiple length arms...which could be a headache and eat margins a bit.
Not saying their right, just that there's a bit more to it than price.

regarding the priming procedure..... I was having the same problem, and read a similar thread to this one sometime ago. I've taken to holding the stop button a full 20-30 seconds after the line comes on and starting goes much better.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #18

Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
On our Tuscany I had the same problem, could only see the awning rail. I called the company that made the mirror and asked if they made longer arms, mine was an eight inch length. Company said yes, they made arms out to 14 inches. I asked what the price difference was, same price. I said why don't you send Thor longer arms, they said they send what Thor orders.

Might be because there is limit to the width of the coach including mirrors
Old 04-20-2017, 09:16 PM   #19

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Legal width limit with mirrors is 9.5 feet. The majority of the wide body class A's are 9 feet, with a three inch mirror overlap on each side. That's why on those class A's the mirrors are mounted so far forward, protruding forward and slightly out.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #20

THOR #5196
Width would depend on how the mirror arms are angled. I have NEVER seen or heard of a police officer measuring mirror width, probably never will!!!