Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 11:40 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 29.2
State: Georgia
THOR #6481
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
Width would depend on how the mirror arms are angled. I have NEVER seen or heard of a police officer measuring mirror width, probably never will!!!

No they won't but when the rv I built there are regulations

Old 04-20-2017, 11:56 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I was of course being sarcastic, but still it depends on how the arms are angled. Thor could either place the mirrors in a better position or angle the arms to meet regs. It would be on the customer if they changed the angle and made the mirrors wider.

Just for my own knowledge I double checked DOT regs, they only state vehicle width and do not include mirrors. Checked Texas and they are the same, mirror width is not mentioned.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:44 AM   #23

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Mirrors are not figures when computing the width of a vehicle, otherwise all buses and trucks would measure illegal. The vehicles built on the E-350 and E-450 stripped chassis have frontal area restrictions from Ford. The house size must meet Ford specifications or Ford will not sign the contract.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:03 AM   #24

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Mirrors are not figures when computing the width of a vehicle, otherwise all buses and trucks would measure illegal. The vehicles built on the E-350 and E-450 stripped chassis have frontal area restrictions from Ford. The house size must meet Ford specifications or Ford will not sign the contract.
I knew about the Ford restrictions, just had to double check the mirror and width reg. Ford has a lot of restrictions, including weight, height, and length to comply with chassis capabilities.