Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2020, 03:17 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Onan RV Inverter QG Generator

Here’s some new information I ran across on the new Onan Inverter QG 2800i generator. The 4,000-Watt inverter generator size should follow this one.

Noise is 65 versus 70 dB(A) at 10-feet at 50% load. No load is 64 dB(A) at 10 ft.

Engine is larger at 252 cc versus previous 217 cc.

Engine speed is 2,445 to 2,900 RPM versus previous 3,600 RPM.

Listed weight is down from 125 to 110 pounds.

Size are similar, but about 0.6” taller.

Most important part is reduced fuel consumption, and that was a little difficult to compare because data is rounded off significantly, so I converted fuel consumption of previous (or existing generator) from liters/hour to gallons/hour for a bit more accuracy.

Previous QG 2800:

No load — 0.2 Gal/h (0.8 L/h
Half load — 0.34 Gal/h (1.3 L/h)
Full load — 0.45 Gal/h (1.7 L/h)

New Inverter QG 2800i:

No load — 0.14 Gal/h (0.53 L/h
Half load — 0.21 Gal/h (0.79 L/h)
Full load — 0.46 Gal/h (1.74 L/h)

Since 1/2 load, or 50%, represents 1,400 Watts, it should be able to power an efficient air conditioner at about 0.2 gallons per hour, or 5 hours on one gallon. At night since A/Cs rarely operate 100% duty cycle, the generator should power a typical energy efficient RV A/C all night with about 2.0 gallons of gas or less.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #2

THOR #2121
By the way, this new Onan built-in compact inverter generator will also be available for propane fuel, which are most commonly used on Class B and some B+ built on diesel-powered chassis (like Sprinter and Transit). Diesel generators tend to be more expensive and heavier, so RV manufacturers often use the 2,500 Watt LPG Onan generators on these smaller motorhomes.

As expected, greatest advantage of inverter generator in fuel savings is at light load. At full load there is no fuel consumption advantage.

Previous LPG 2500 Watt:

No load — 1.2 lb/hr
Half load — 1.6 lb/hr
Full load — 2.3 lb/hr

New Inverter LPG 2500 Watt:

No load — 0.77 lb/hr
Half load — 1.27 lb/hr
Full load — 2.31 lb/hr
Old 07-14-2020, 01:36 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #19611
Onan 2800i

Any idea when this unit will be available for sale?

Does it have a release date?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2020, 02:41 AM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
cut...

Previous LPG 2500 Watt:

No load — 1.2 lb/hr
Half load — 1.6 lb/hr
Full load — 2.3 lb/hr

New Inverter LPG 2500 Watt:

No load — 0.77 lb/hr
Half load — 1.27 lb/hr
Full load — 2.31 lb/hr
They only seem to have managed finding a no-load efficiency. That and the rest is unimpressive. No improvement at full load. The two together just create space somewhere they might be able to use for something else.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:56 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshupenia View Post

Thanks

Sorry, no hard data. I was told in January that they expected to have the 2800-Watt generator available by end of this year, and the 4000-Watt sometime next year if I recall correctly. I’d have to check my notes.

The 2800i was shown first in Motorhome Magazine ad so it’s likely that it will be available first.
Old 07-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #6

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
They only seem to have managed finding a no-load efficiency. That and the rest is unimpressive. No improvement at full load. The two together just create space somewhere they might be able to use for something else.

That’s the nature of inverter generators. These are more efficient at idle or 50% load, so a real improvement since generators rarely operate at 100% capacity. The other advantage is some reduction in noise, although it looks far from what we’d expect from a Honda or other top brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

.....cut.....

As expected, greatest advantage of inverter generator in fuel savings is at light load. At full load there is no fuel consumption advantage.

.....cut....
Old 10-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #7

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshupenia View Post

Thanks

The new QG 2800i is now listed as the replacement for the discontinued regular QG 2800.

James and his wife of the Fit RV compared it to their standard QG 2800 at idle and while powering their air conditioner from various distances, and found significantly lower noise levels.

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/qui...0i-we-test-it/

Below is link to Onan page.

https://www.cummins.com/generators/onan-qg-2800i
Old 10-05-2020, 07:42 PM   #8

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Regarding Onan, in general...

I'm currently shopping for a propane Whole-House standby generator.
20KW is the preferred size so that I can run my 5 Ton air conditioner if necessary

Well, everyone's heard of Generac. They have about 60% of the business.
My issue with Generac is the large fuel consumption.
2.5 gallons/hr at 1/2 load. 10 hours is 25 gallons at $2.19/gal = $55
Plus the decibel level is 67
Equipment price is about $4800 with the 200 amp transfer switch

But recently I've been looking at a Cummins/Onan
1.9 gallons/hr at 1/2 load (so that's a Win!) 25% less fuel cost
Decibel level is 65 (slightly better than Generac)
Price is exactly the same
Cummins/Onan weighs about 75# more than Generac (who cares?)

Bottomline...I trust Cummins/Onan. They make a fine product line.
Old 10-05-2020, 08:07 PM   #9

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Having just read this thread today and learning about the new QG 2,800i inverter generator, I contacted the Thor dealer where I have an order for a new Axis 24.1 set for a Jan/Feb delivery. I asked him if Thor could substitute the new generator for the standard QG 4000 and I would be happy to pay any reasonable price difference.

Thor said no.

That is a pretty arbitrary, short sided position. The installation should be almost identical to the QG 4000 although one of the posts above says that the i generator is 0.6" taller.

I believe that in a year or so ALL new RVs will come with one of these inverter generators. They are superior in every way. But it probably costs Thor a few hundred dollars for the i vs the old one (which I am happy to pay) and Thor if anything is cheap.

Oh well no surprises there, I knew that when I bought mine.

David
Old 10-05-2020, 08:30 PM   #10

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Having just read this thread today and learning about the new QG 2,800i inverter generator, I contacted the Thor dealer where I have an order for a new Axis 24.1 set for a Jan/Feb delivery. I asked him if Thor could substitute the new generator for the standard QG 4000 and I would be happy to pay any reasonable price difference.

Thor said no.

That is a pretty arbitrary, short sided position. The installation should be almost identical to the QG 4000 although one of the posts above says that the i generator is 0.6" taller.

I believe that in a year or so ALL new RVs will come with one of these inverter generators. They are superior in every way. But it probably costs Thor a few hundred dollars for the i vs the old one (which I am happy to pay) and Thor if anything is cheap.

Oh well no surprises there, I knew that when I bought mine.

David

In this case I can see why Thor turned you down because the standard generator is a 4,000-Watt that can power A/C and microwave simultaneously, and the QG 2800i can’t. The size isn’t the issue because the QG 2800i should be much smaller and lighter than the standard QG 4000.

The Onan rep at Tampa Super Show told me the QG 4000i (i for inverter) would follow in less than a year. So far everything he said was essentially accurate right down to odd RPM operating range.

Thor doesn’t seem to do much custom anything. They’re not set up for changes; not even when all you want is for something to be left off.
Old 11-07-2020, 02:59 PM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Did some more investigating and now the Cummins/Onan website has detailed specs for the 2800i inverter generator. As noted above it has very favorable fuel consumption, about 2/3 of its non inverter equivalent at half load and half of the 4000 generator.

The generator operates between 2,455 and 2,900 rpm depending on load. That is what makes it quieter and more fuel efficient than the 3,600 rpm Onan. There was a brief review by someone who Winnabago loaned a small Class C with the new generator. The review claimed that the noise level was 9 dB lower. That is a lot.

The other thing I like about it is the EFI which will eliminate carburetor rebuilds due to varnish build up in ethanol laced gasoline. You don't see any problems in modern EFI cars, only older carbureted ones, lawn mower, outboard and generator engines.

So we will have to see. I am going to take another run at Thor early next year before they start building our Axis to see if they can install one

Oh and in response to Chance's comment above about the 2800i not being able to run the A/C and microwave at the same time, yes I understand that and am ok with it. I would much rather have this generator than have the ability to run both. And why should Thor impose their will on a customer who understands this. Hey the dealer has thousands of dollars of my money to insure that I go through with the purchase.

David