Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2019, 06:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #15962
Opening Closing Slides

2020 Plazzo 36.3 diesel. Step one set parking brake, step two keep engine running, step three turn on main battery switch. Extend slides. Nope won't go power to low requires 13.1 volts or higher from batteries. Have to start generator or hook up to shore power. I'm getting good power from solar system, seems inverter has power as told to me by the main panel. Any ideas. Others having this issue. New to me to have to run engine to open slides. But it's my first diesel.

Old 10-14-2019, 08:28 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Why not just put the "Use/Sore" switch in "Use" when you start up the rig, and are on the road?
That'll give the alternator a chance to charge them back up...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
It's not a diesel thing...I don't think slides will operate with engine running. At least mine don't. Ignition must be off. However, I never operate slides without least generator running or connected to shore power. I never trust batteries alone to do this unless I've just finished a long run or taking a break at rest area..during a long run with everything at full charge. Also, as Bob said...just leave Use/Store Switch in the Use position unless you're storing the coach for a period.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #4

Model: 2019 Freedom Elite 30FE
THOR #16600
I cannot move my slides with the engine running.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Its a mixed bag: Some Thor's require the engine running to extend slides and other's won't extend slides with engine running (our Axis is the latter).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My Tiffin is "Bass-ackwards" from how Thor does things...
Engine on for moving the slides, and off for deploying and retracting the levelers...

... and I STILL get ti wrong...
Old 10-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #7

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
i cannot move my slides with the engine running.
DITTO.

When I picked my rig up from CW recently, the house battery was dead. I had to start the engine to get enough juice to start the generator, then shut the engine off so I could operate the slides.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:46 PM   #8

THOR #15962
My Thor requires engine running other wise its locked on main power panel. Awning and bunk bed are also locked. I can only get unlock with engine running. The main battery switch is on, and use button on. If not nothing will happen. I was trying to find out what to do if I can't get engine started after camping and need a tow. But a lot more things are not going to happen as I will have no air to raise home back up or retract levelers. Hope it never happens. Just seeing what others have done to keep power up. Right now it's a hit or wait for power to get above 13 volts.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:24 PM   #9

THOR #15962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie200 View Post
My Thor requires engine running other wise its locked on main power panel. Awning and bunk bed are also locked. I can only get unlock with engine running. The main battery switch is on, and use button on. If not nothing will happen. I was trying to find out what to do if I can't get engine started after camping and need a tow. But a lot more things are not going to happen as I will have no air to raise home back up or retract levelers. Hope it never happens. Just seeing what others have done to keep power up. Right now it's a hit or wait for power to get above 13 volts.
Sun shining, good power from solar panel, hooked up to shore power, still below 13. Time to call Thor. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191022_141637.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	20998
Old 10-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #10

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I never turn use/store switch off. Never. The MH either hooked up to shore power or in use.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
I never turn use/store switch off. Never. The MH either hooked up to shore power or in use.
Have you ever given any thought to the possibility of "cooking" your batteries?
Old 10-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #12

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
I don't want to seem glib -- but why not hook up power and use shore power to operate slides? I NEVER open my slide using battery power. I assume that the amperage draw on the two motors trying to move he slide is pretty high. Guess I'm a bit confused on why it is so difficult to hook up power as soon as you've pulled or backed into the site.

I back in. Set the brake. Turn off engine. Hook up electric cable and water. Turn on pedestal power and city water. Turn on refrigerator (on auto) and turn on Water Heater (on AC power). Open slide. Then I do all the rest of the hookups and get the stuff out and set up. By the time I'm finished the hot water is ready and the refrigerator is already cooling down.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #13

THOR #15962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I don't want to seem glib -- but why not hook up power and use shore power to operate slides? I NEVER open my slide using battery power. I assume that the amperage draw on the two motors trying to move he slide is pretty high. Guess I'm a bit confused on why it is so difficult to hook up power as soon as you've pulled or backed into the site.

I back in. Set the brake. Turn off engine. Hook up electric cable and water. Turn on pedestal power and city water. Turn on refrigerator (on auto) and turn on Water Heater (on AC power). Open slide. Then I do all the rest of the hookups and get the stuff out and set up. By the time I'm finished the hot water is ready and the refrigerator is already cooling down.
Yep I did all that in the old days with a gas home. I had gas/electric water heater, only gas with this one, I have to keep engine running to drop Jack's, that pulls power, than open up with engine running, all the while my new neighbors are wondering what the heck I'm doing as engine keeps running and air being released, it's kinda noisy, all the while I'm running around outside hooking up power and heck before I open up its easier to get water, sewar etc etc going. All I'm saying is it shouldn't be this complicated of a process, guess my new neighbors will just have to put up with it or go inside.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:15 PM   #14

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Have you ever given any thought to the possibility of "cooking" your batteries?
Nope. Charger goes to no charge when batteries are fully charged. Usually check batteries twice a year. Sometimes have to fill a little once a year.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
...Just checking..
Old 10-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #16

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:

The vast majority of the new Class A coaches require that you

Have the engine running to extend slides to maintain voltage so as most of us do it as follows

Park in desired position
Lower jacks per auto level or manual level by dumping air and then leveling
Extend slides
Shut off engine

Hook up electric, water and so on
Old 10-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #17

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:

Shore power is 120 volts. Slides are 12 volts. leave the battery disconect on while driving and batteries will be charged.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #18

Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
My old 2004

My old 2004 Four winds Infinity has to meet the following before slides will Extend or Retract.

1. chassis switch on.

2. Engine running.

3. parking brake set.

4. Leveling Jacks On or down.

All 4 conditions have to be met or the slides will not operate.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:25 PM   #19

State: Ohio
THOR #12388
I had a 2016 Palazzo and the slides would not work with the engine running. The rules were (from Thor) run the engine to extend or retract the jacks. Shut the engine off to extend or retract the slides. They also advised that you put the jacks down before you extend the slides.
So the sequence was park, extend the jacks, shut off the engine, extend the slides.

Bill
Old 10-26-2019, 08:00 PM   #20

State: Arkansas
THOR #7075
Slides won’t extend or retract unless key is positioned to the “ON” position. Diesel motor does not have to be running.