Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #14873
Question Palazzo low ground clearance

my 2017 Palazzo is built very low to the ground. This means the front drags when crossing some roadway dips or drive entries. The back does too but generally that is the trailer hitch, no problem. I first thought it was only cosmetic damage but has progressed to a significant problem. Have others had this experience? Thanks Dennis

Old 06-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum!
You just have to slow down more, and be extra careful...
Do you have an airbag suspension? Perhaps there's something going on with it...
Old 07-05-2021, 03:26 AM   #3

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
If the Palazzo has air bag suspension, check the ride height. Air suspensions will have ride height adjustments that may involve 3 or 4 adjusters/valves. There will be specific measurements you take on the suspension at the 4 corners. Then specific methods to make the adjustments.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #4

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
My Palazzo has a switch on the driver's left side that raises and lowers the height. If you have that switch make sure it is set for the higher adjustment.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation

the Freightliner XCS chassis is well known for it's LOW stance, and designed specifically for these 'compact' diesel pushers, for the Palazzo and also the ForestRiver Legacy, Fleetwood PaceArrow, WinnieFORZA, etc...
the great advantage is the single entry step, which sometimes is not even needed...compared to most coaches with two to three 'steps' just to get into the coach.

Yes, the air bags are there and will give you an additional ride height of 4-6 inches, but the front skirt design is rather low, so you have to be more careful with these coaches than you might with others... while you are driving, the ride height air bags are already in play, there's nothing you can do to give it more height, except to try to enter/exit hard transitions at a 45degree angle, or as much as possible - never at a straight angle.

As for the Air Bag 'lever', the 'Auto' position means that the coach will always keep the air bags inflated, even when parked. The 'Manual'("LOWER") position means that the coach will have the air bags inflated while driving, but will DEFLATE them(lower the coach) whenever you put the gear in NEUTRAL(park). Some folks may like that, I never have - I leave it in Auto while driving, and only move it to Manual/Lower(dump) when we park for the night. Then and only then do I use the LCI Leveling system to level the coach, as then the legs have much less distance to travel to the ground, and consequently the coach can sit much lower when level.

For the 'Manual' air bags mode, it also can come in handy if you reach an underpass that you might hesitate at, such as 12'. You can put the coach in Neutral, move the lever to 'Manual', allow the air bags to full deflate, then put it back into Drive and QUICKLY proceed - before the bags have time to REINFLATE. You are mainly only worried about getting the roof Air Conditioners thru the underpass, as the coach itself is not the real problem. Our Palazzo from the factory is about 11'10" at ride height, the highest point being the a/c cowling covers, until I added a rear roof-mounted King Tailgater II dome antenna, which added another 1".

The great advantage to the Palazzo and other XCS chassis coaches is that they sit so low - great for when parked, but not as much when transitioning thru intersections, driveways, etc.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:17 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wonder if he has, "found his acorn" yet?
Old 07-24-2022, 08:53 PM   #7

State: California
THOR #27461
what is normal Palazzo ground clearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindhog View Post
my 2017 Palazzo is built very low to the ground. This means the front drags when crossing some roadway dips or drive entries. The back does too but generally that is the trailer hitch, no problem. I first thought it was only cosmetic damage but has progressed to a significant problem. Have others had this experience? Thanks Dennis
What is considered normal clearance between front and back and the ground? I have a 2017 33.2 also seems to be very low, when the step extends it is only about 6" off the ground. It does lower when I vent the air bags with the switch by the drivers feet