Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Minnesota
THOR #14057
Roku Express Install

A couple of days ago I installed a Roku Express to our 40” TV in our over cab entertainment area. It was just hanging out there with cables visible, nicely tucked, but I wanted a cleaner look.

Today’s tidieng up project with Velcro strips, zip ties and zip tie hold downs. I used Velcro to secure the Roku to the entertainment trim/frame. I took picks with iPad, should have used my phone w/flash. Much cleaner look.

JJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A86E620A-5570-4EB0-8119-A5B5EE424D5A.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	16594   Click image for larger version

Name:	092C031B-2998-4FB4-995C-3431D7D01039.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	16595  

Click image for larger version

Name:	602E2B7E-871D-4589-B32E-3476095E1877.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	16596  

FMCA F496287
JJMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Most excellent. How does it work for you so far? I been thinking of installing something like this on my Axis. To many choices on the market... it make my head spin so I do nothing about it.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Most excellent. How does it work for you so far? I been thinking of installing something like this on my Axis. To many choices on the market... it make my head spin so I do nothing about it.
We installed the AMAZON FIRE STICKS on both the above door and bedroom televisions in our VEGAS. Above the door, we plugged the FIRE STICK directly into the HDMI port and are powering via the usb port on the SEIKI On the bedroom unit, I used the DVD cable above the bed and power via the AC outlet there.(didn't want to remove the tv to reach the HDMI port)

We use our hotspot to stream over LTE. Very happy with both. We can also use the ALEXA we installed in the RV to switch programs via voice (kinda cool)
Old 04-21-2019, 12:29 AM   #4

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
We installed the AMAZON FIRE STICKS on both the above door and bedroom televisions in our VEGAS. Above the door, we plugged the FIRE STICK directly into the HDMI port and are powering via the usb port on the SEIKI On the bedroom unit, I used the DVD cable above the bed and power via the AC outlet there.(didn't want to remove the tv to reach the HDMI port)

We use our hotspot to stream over LTE. Very happy with both. We can also use the ALEXA we installed in the RV to switch programs via voice (kinda cool)
I also went with Amazon Firesticks and stream TV. Works great.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:39 AM   #5

THOR #14057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
Works great in the driveway at home haven’t tried out camping yet.

JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 04-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Ok, Thanks... I guess it dont really matter which one you go with. Its still better than what I have now (AKA - Nothing). LOL.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #7

THOR #14057
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMON View Post
Works great in the driveway at home haven’t tried out camping yet.

JJ
At KOA in Waterloo IA and using for the first time at a CG. Raining and cold, been in MH most of the day. Working very good. Watched a few Netflix episodes of Lost In Space and now watching NASCAR truck qualifying on FS1. Added the Fox Sports app and signed in with my DTV account. I must qualify this,,,CG is large but maaaybe %25 occupied, so not many users to compete with. I see a number of TT’s with no tow vehicle and maybe they are monthly renters and just not here. The WiFi signal is very strong but unsecured. I configured my WiFi booster to provide a a secure access point in our MH for our devices.

JJ
FMCA F496287
Old 05-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #8

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMON View Post
At KOA in Waterloo IA and using for the first time at a CG. Raining and cold, been in MH most of the day. Working very good. Watched a few Netflix episodes of Lost In Space and now watching NASCAR truck qualifying on FS1. Added the Fox Sports app and signed in with my DTV account. I must qualify this,,,CG is large but maaaybe %25 occupied, so not many users to compete with. I see a number of TT’s with no tow vehicle and maybe they are monthly renters and just not here. The WiFi signal is very strong but unsecured. I configured my WiFi booster to provide a a secure access point in our MH for our devices.

JJ
It is not a secure point. Maybe all of your devices are connected to a router, but the router is connected to a public WiFi net work. Unless you are using a VPN would be the only way to truly incript your communication.
I just posted this in a thread in this same section.
What is public Wi-Fi?

Public Wi-Fi can be found in popular public places like airports, coffee shops, malls, restaurants, and hotels — and it allows you to access the Internet for free. These “hotspots” are so widespread and common that people frequently connect to them without thinking twice. Although it sounds harmless to log on and check your social media account or browse some news articles, everyday activities that require a login — like reading e-mail or checking your bank account — could be risky business on public Wi-Fi.

What are the risks?

The problem with public Wi-Fi is that there are a tremendous number of risks that go along with these networks. While business owners may believe they’re providing a valuable service to their customers, chances are the security on these networks is lax or nonexistent.

Man-in-the-Middle attacks

One of the most common threats on these networks is called a Man-in-the-Middle (MitM) attack. Essentially, a MitM attack is a form of eavesdropping. When a computer makes a connection to the Internet, data is sent from point A (computer) to point B (service/website), and vulnerabilities can allow an attacker to get in between these transmissions and “read” them. So what you thought was private no longer is.

Unencrypted networks

Encryption means that the information that is sent between your computer and the wireless router are in the form of a “secret code,” so that it cannot be read by anyone who doesn’t have the key to decipher the code. Most routers are shipped from the factory with encryption turned off by default, and it must be turned on when the network is set up. If an IT professional sets up the network, then chances are good that encryption has been enabled. However, there is no surefire way to tell if this has happened.

Malware distribution

Thanks to software vulnerabilities, there are also ways that attackers can slip malware onto your computer without you even knowing. A software vulnerability is a security hole or weakness found in an operating system or software program. Hackers can exploit this weakness by writing code to target a specific vulnerability, and then inject the malware onto your device.

Snooping and sniffing

Wi-Fi snooping and sniffing is what it sounds like. Cybercriminals can buy special software kits and even devices to help assist them with eavesdropping on Wi-Fi signals. This technique can allow the attackers to access everything that you are doing online — from viewing whole webpages you have visited (including any information you may have filled out while visiting that webpage) to being able to capture your login credentials, and even hijack your accounts.

Malicious hotspots

These “rogue access points” trick victims into connecting to what they think is a legitimate network because the name sounds reputable. Say you’re staying at the Goodnyght Inn and want to connect to the hotel’s Wi-Fi. You may think you’re selecting the correct one when you click on “GoodNyte Inn,” but you haven’t. Instead, you’ve just connected to a rogue hotspot set up by cybercriminals who can now view your sensitive information.

How to stay safe on public Wi-Fi

The best way to know your information is safe while using public Wi-Fi is to use a virtual private network (VPN), like Norton Secure VPN, when surfing on your PC, Mac, smartphone or tablet. However, if you must use public Wi-Fi, follow these tips to protect your information.

Don’t:

Allow your Wi-Fi to auto-connect to networks
Log into any account via an app that contains sensitive information. Go to the website instead and verify it uses HTTPS before logging in
Leave your Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on if you are not using them
Access websites that hold your sensitive information, such as such as financial or healthcare accounts
Log onto a network that isn’t password protected
Do:

Disable file sharing
Only visit sites using HTTPS
Log out of accounts when done using them
Use a VPN, like Norton Secure VPN, to make sure your public Wi-Fi connections are made private
Old 05-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
It is not a secure point. Maybe all of your devices are connected to a router, but the router is connected to a public WiFi net work.
Most routers are connected to public internet, a public WIFI is no different. As long as you are on your own LAN behind a router/firewall you should have no problem.

On the other hand, if the OP is just rebroadcasting the campground's WIFI access on their own Access Point with just WAP (or worse WEP security) then I agree, that's an exercise in security uselessness.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote