Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2014, 02:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alaska
THOR #1133
Water system question

We recently purchased a new Thor Tuscany xte 36MQ. The walk through we got from the dealer was basically non existent. We have since discovered there is a fresh water holding tank on the left side that sits on top of the black and grey water holding tanks and there is a gravity feed fresh water holding tank on the right side. The left side tank has a drain/dump valve, but the water level in it is not monitored and the water in it does not appeared to be used by the MH water system. The tank on the right side is monitored by the tank gauges and that water is definitely used by the system, but I cannot find a drain/dump valve for it.

Can someone please explain this water system to me and tell me how we can use the water in the left side tank?

Thanks
Mark

Old 09-22-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I am having some difficulty in visualizing your setup.

Sometimes water tanks are "slaved" together.

I had a boat that had two water tanks, and they were simply connected in a WYE configuration. The tank monitor was only on one tank as the water levels of the two tanks (eventually) leveled so that the tank not being read by the monitor had the same amount of water in it.

While the boat didn't have a drain, If both tanks are WYE'ed together, it would make sense that only one drain would be needed as it would still drain both tanks.

Perhaps your tank configuration is similar, either connected in a WYE configuration (both tanks parallel), or if one tank is physically higher than the other, perhaps it feeds into the lower tank. If the lower tank has the monitor, then it would not measure any use until the upper tank were drained.

Also, on my boat, there was only one fill tube as it filled both tanks simultaneously.

I'm guessin' you have a similar setup.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #3

State: Alaska
THOR #1133
Thank you

FW28z
Thank you for your response. One tank may be slaved to the other, we have not done enough testing to find out yet. It seemed odd that the right side tank was 75% down and the monitor gauge registered that, yet the left side was still completely full (visually as observed through the semi clear white plastic of the tank?? I was hopeful that someone on this forum would know the answer. I find it difficult to believe that ours is soo unique that no one else has the same model with the same configuration.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I can think of no other possibilities. Strange indeed.

Unless the one tank's water line is plugged up.

That has happened to me with boats. One boat I owned, I had to tear apart the water pump and found a white-milky substance fouling the diaphragm so much so that it would no longer pump.

Not sure if it was residual goop put on the hoses to clean/seal/lubricate them for assembly, or something from the tank itself. Never found out what the goop was.

So there may be some residual pieces of material of some sort that could clog up a hose.

Not saying this is the problem, but it does happen.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Maybe the left tank lives at a lower height above the ground so it would still be full while the higher tank would be partially empty????

Funny, Just over the weekend I was just thinking about installing a second grey tank on my coach and plumbing it this way.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: California
THOR #892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ridling View Post
FW28z
. It seemed odd that the right side tank was 75% down and the monitor gauge registered that, yet the left side was still completely full (visually as observed through the semi clear white plastic of the tank??
Check the vent hose on the left tank, for the crossover to work, both tanks must be well vented.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

Model: Daybreak 32HD
State: Texas
THOR #1188
I have a 100 gal water tank in my Thor Daybreak and there is only one large tank that goes all the way across the coach. you probably have the same setup and that is why you don't see guage wires on both sides.

Tags
water system question