Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE
State: Florida
THOR #10225
Playing Downloaded Video on Mobile to TV

Hi...

I'm hoping to find a way to cast (or play via HDMI) movies or programs I've downloaded from Netflix or Amazon Video on the coach TV. I Purchased an HDMI to lightening cable but it only plays audio when I play a downloaded video from Netflix. Amazon is the same.

Using Airplay works when both the iPad and Apple TV are on the same LAN. This isn't possible when dry camping and having just started RVing, I'm not sure if it can happen very often in many RV parks. It wasn't available in the park where we did our shakedown this week.

If anyone has solved this, I'd appreciate some advise. It'll save a lot of time.

Thanks... Pete

Old 12-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You have a few options:
  • If where you are dry camping has a cell signal you can turn a hotspot on your phone or tablet and use that as the wifi between the TV and the device with the movie (you won't use any data as you're just sending the data between the TV and the device playing the downloaded movie). You may even be able to do this without cell signal--would have to see what the cellphone does with hotspot enabled and no cell signal
  • Pick up an inexpensive wireless router and use that as your wifi between the TV and the device in question
  • Pick up an inexpensive HTPC and use that to play videos (typically these will also have WiFi and you can set it up as a host for the WiFi network, or you could use it with the router above)
  • There are a few on the forum here that have setup a whole system with a PC, router, an antenna to pickup the campground's WiFI and then have their own "RV WiFi"--the possibilities are endless if you have enough $$ to spend

All you really need is a local WiFi network to connect your devices to the Apple TV either a hotspot or small router should do the trick (you can even plug the Apple TV into the router via a network cable too).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Is this the adapter that you have? I use it all the time. Works perfectly for streaming Netflix from my iPad to the TV using the HDMI cable above the sink.

You do not need to have an Apple TV or a network to do this. Direct out from the device to the HDMI input of the TV.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:58 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
I agree with gbrown. I have the same adapter and use it all o the time to play video directly from my iPad to a TV. I haven't found any video source that didn't work with this adapter.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
You will probably need an MHL adapter. With this I can download from Mediacom TiVo or Netflix to my old cell phone (via wifi) and connect to my TV's HDMI port in my motor home and watch shows I have recorded.

Here is the catch...the newest cell phones have eliminated from their internal system the MHL necessary for this to work. That is probably why you can not get audio when you simply hook up the HDMI to your phone.

You must have the MHL to HDMI converter and your phone (or device) must contain the MHL programming.

I use my old android phone (Note) which works perfectly. Netflix does have a limit on how many it will allow you to download to your device at a time, but I have never found that to be a problem. I just delete after I've watched them and the next time I am near WiFi I download some more.

I love the system. I do not have satellite so this allows me to watch my favorite Netflix shows even when boon docking in an area with zero TV reception.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:14 AM   #6

THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
You will probably need an MHL adapter. With this I can download from Mediacom TiVo or Netflix to my old cell phone (via wifi) and connect to my TV's HDMI port in my motor home and watch shows I have recorded.

Here is the catch...the newest cell phones have eliminated from their internal system the MHL necessary for this to work. That is probably why you can not get audio when you simply hook up the HDMI to your phone.

You must have the MHL to HDMI converter and your phone (or device) must contain the MHL programming.

I use my old android phone (Note) which works perfectly. Netflix does have a limit on how many it will allow you to download to your device at a time, but I have never found that to be a problem. I just delete after I've watched them and the next time I am near WiFi I download some more.

I love the system. I do not have satellite so this allows me to watch my favorite Netflix shows even when boon docking in an area with zero TV reception.
Thanks everyone for the help/advice. I assume that streaming would work fine with the HDMI adapter. It's when I download Netflix or Amazon videos that playback is audio only. I've had the problem for years because our place in WI has 1.5Mb bandwidth. I download overnight and watch the next day. The only way I've gotten this yo work is with Apple TV and Airplay. I'll have to look into MHL. I'm not familiar with it. My first test will be with my Apple TV and an old router I have. If I can set up a LAN in the MH, Airplay might just work fine.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:46 AM   #7

THOR #10225
"All you really need is a local WiFi network to connect your devices to the Apple TV either a hotspot or small router should do the trick (you can even plug the Apple TV into the router via a network cable too)."

I bought a cheap wireless router today and tested Netflix and Amazon Video. I downloaded videos from both services. I placed my iPad and Apple TV on the same LAN without connecting the router to the internet. Airplay seemed to work just fine with the Amazon Video but I was only able the get the audio for the Netflix video.

I've contacted Netflix to see if they can shed some light on this. I wonder if the folks who are streaming Netflix to there mobile devices and are using the HDMI adapter or casting with Airplay would download a video and see if they can get it to work. At least it would show whether it's me or Netflix (or Apple).
Old 12-24-2017, 02:00 AM   #8

THOR #10225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Is this the adapter that you have? I use it all the time. Works perfectly for streaming Netflix from my iPad to the TV using the HDMI cable above the sink.

You do not need to have an Apple TV or a network to do this. Direct out from the device to the HDMI input of the TV.
Would you mind downloading a Netflix video and see if it plays both audio and video? Mine works with streaming but not downloaded videos.

Thanks!

Pete
Old 12-24-2017, 01:05 PM   #9

THOR #10225
This article from a year ago describes the problem.

Netflix’s new offline download feature has one massive drawback – BGR

Pete
Old 12-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #10

THOR #2271
Emmett,
That explains why it works direct connect and not Airplay. So I suggest that you buy the AV dongle that I suggested earlier and then you don't need a WiFi network either.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:16 PM   #11

THOR #10225
Quote:
Emmett,
That explains why it works direct connect and not Airplay. So I suggest that you buy the AV dongle that I suggested earlier and then you don't need a WiFi network either.
I already have the HDMI attachment. It doesn't work with downloaded Netflix.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #12

THOR #2271
Emmett,
My apology. I have the data plan on my iPad. So I always stream and never download. To check out your issue, I downloaded a TV show that I have been streaming. And, believe it or not, I got the audio and no video. I thought they were only blocking Airplay.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:23 AM   #13

THOR #10225
Quote:
Emmett,
My apology. I have the data plan on my iPad. So I always stream and never download. To check out your issue, I downloaded a TV show that I have been streaming. And, believe it or not, I got the audio and no video. I thought they were only blocking Airplay.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.
No worries! I'll have to stick with Amazon Prime Video while camping without decent internet. Have a Merry Christmas!