Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2021, 10:15 PM   #21

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
X3

Do not do it, however like Pete says if you no longer need the 240v it can be converted to a 120v 50amp outlet.

FYI don't think of the 120v50a cord going to your mh as 240v50a it is NOT.

Next time your in a 50a campground take a look at the breakerS in the pedestal, they'll both be 50a.

Then you can start thinking of you power cord as 2 120v 50a circuits wrapped in 1 sheath.

50 amp RV service IS 240 volts delivered to the main circuit breaker in the RV. Neutral and ground must be separated in the RV shore power. Neutral must be Isolated from the ground in the RV shore power. You can not use a welding outlet.

Name:  50_Amp_240V-metered-300x226.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  18.6 KB

50-amp Service (1).pdf

Old 01-19-2021, 10:20 PM   #22

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
3 prong 30 amp RV outlet is 120 volts, not 240. you can use a 50/30 dogbone to use the 50 amp outlet. Note diagram on the right.

Click image for larger version

Name:	split phase.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	28136
Old 01-20-2021, 06:08 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #21795
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
50 amp RV service IS 240 volts delivered to the main circuit breaker in the RV. Neutral and ground must be separated in the RV shore power. Neutral must be Isolated from the ground in the RV shore power. You can not use a welding outlet.

Attachment 28134

Attachment 28135
Would a dryer outlet be the same as a welding outlet? This one used to be a dryer outlet.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:02 PM   #24

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
It is NOT important as to the device being supplied by the outlet although most codes refer to Dryer or Range outlets for household use. Only the NEMA or other ratings as to the voltage/amperage/phase is what counts. Here is a couple of charts, can you identify the one you have in the house?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nema rv receptacle chart.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	28143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plugs & Connectors.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	28144  

Old 01-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #25

THOR #21795
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
It is NOT important as to the device being supplied by the outlet although most codes refer to Dryer or Range outlets for household use. Only the NEMA or other ratings as to the voltage/amperage/phase is what counts. Here is a couple of charts, can you identify the one you have in the house?
Mine looks like the NEMA 10-50 in the pink 240v section. The breaker it is comes from is a double breaker that says "30" on it.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:48 PM   #26

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
When this 50 amp question comes up it is always three pages of some fact some nonsense and a whole unneeded education.

Spend $100 or $200 or less and call an electrician/handyman to come put the correct plug where you want it.

Make life easy.
Some of the things said in these electrical threads should be criminalized.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #27

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Amen.
Old 01-20-2021, 09:51 PM   #28

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Time to get a local electrician involved. With using the existing wiring you will need a single pole 30A breaker to replace the double and the RV type 30A receptacle. BUT you have a double pole 30A that can be removed and a 50A double pole installed in the panelboard, then you have to remove the old wire and install new properly sized wire to the spot you need it with the 50A pedestal receptacle. Grounded and safe.
Default to safe. Pay others for their knowledge and expertise.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:02 PM   #29

THOR #21795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
When this 50 amp question comes up it is always three pages of some fact some nonsense and a whole unneeded education.

Spend $100 or $200 or less and call an electrician/handyman to come put the correct plug where you want it.

Make life easy.
Some of the things said in these electrical threads should be criminalized.
Yup. I know that drill! Ask 50 people, get 50 different answers. Just thought I'd take a chance and see if there was any good info to glean from the pool. I know it's been all over the place but I am thankful to anyone who gave honest and sincere feedback to the best of their knowledge. I am not so stupid as to run with one opinion without doing due diligence and research which was what this exercise was truly about... So do you care to remark on what is valid vs "criminal" or did you just come here to tell me to pay someone? I'm all for some valid advice.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:17 PM   #30

THOR #13932
I just came to say to pay someone.
Two outside rv spots and an inside rv spot at my place.
They look just like rv park pedestals.

I do know the right answer.
I won't suggest anyone who doesn't know the correct answer to just pick one, even mine, from this mess and proceed.

I do know a licensed electrician won't be guessing.

My 30amp rv is plugged into a 15amp circuit. It's a long garage and that's the handiest receptacle.
It does just fine.

The picture is one of my pedestals.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0120211511~01.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	28147  

Old 01-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #31

THOR #21795
Quote:
I just came to say to pay someone.
Two outside rv spots and an inside rv spot at my place.
They look just like rv park pedestals.

I'm not sure what in this thread was guess, estimate, 'my dad said' or sabotage.
I do know the right answer.
I do know a licensed electrician won't be guessing.

I do easy and I support local professionals.

My 30amp rv is plugged into a 15amp circuit. It's a long garage and that's the handiest receptacle.
It does just fine.

The picture is one of my pedestals.
Yay, Good for you. I happen to like to learn things, especially before I fork out hard earned money. Helps me to find the best qualified for the job if I do end up paying. A process that has never failed me. That's what these forums are for, sharing info. One has to be naive to assume it is all gospel truth. But for the most part it's just good folks trying to be helpful and I can appreciate that. it's one thing to share something that may or may not be accurate as opposed to offering no help in general and commenting simply for the purposes of snark. Says a lot about the type of person. Why even waste your time? Why waste all of our time? Especially since you don't even own a 50 amp RV. Maybe come back when you do...mmmkay?
Old 01-20-2021, 10:40 PM   #32
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Cone View Post
Yay, Good for you. I happen to like to learn things, especially before I fork out hard earned money. Helps me to find the best qualified for the job if I do end up paying. A process that has never failed me. That's what these forums are for, sharing info. One has to be naive to assume it is all gospel truth. But for the most part it's just good folks trying to be helpful and I can appreciate that. it's one thing to share something that may or may not be accurate as opposed to offering no help in general and commenting simply for the purposes of snark. Says a lot about the type of person. Why even waste your time? Why waste all of our time?
Good for you! A better educated consumer is a smart consumer that may prevent hundreds of dollars of damage due to a "licensed" electrician wiring 240 VAC to a 30 amp RV plug (120 VAC) which, unfortunately, has been known to happen.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #33

THOR #13932
Electrical work isn't opinion. We don't get an opinion on wiring electrical receptacles. You know or you don't.
68° vs 70° on a thermostat is opinion.

Please find the ignore feature for this forum and use it on my user name.
You'll learn more by ignoring me.

If you think snark is stating some are dead wrong wrongsayers with dangerous unproven 'facts', and my suggesting professionals do the job of professionals, ignoring me is your best bet.

Which one if these 'tales' will you try?
It's very naive to think naive people won't be reading this thread.

(And as said directly above, the jackass unlicensed electrician did exactly that for the receptacle I had him install at my dads house. 220 in a 30 amp plug.)

Old 01-20-2021, 11:19 PM   #34

THOR #21795
Quote:
Electrical work isn't opinion. We don't get an opinion on wiring electrical receptacles. You know or you don't.
68° vs 70° on a thermostat is opinion.

If you think snark is stating some are dead wrong wrongsayers with dangerous unproven 'facts', and my suggesting professionals do the job of professionals, ignoring me is your best bet.

Which one if these 'tales' will you try?
It's very naive to think naive people won't be reading this thread.

(And as said directly above, the jackass unlicensed electrician did exactly that for the receptacle I had him install at my dads house. 220 in a 30 amp plug.)
I appreciate someone stating facts and debunking things with actual evidence. But the snark part comes in when you call BS but don't offer anything in the way of constructive evidence to base your claim on which is everything you did! As shown by the statement: "I just came to say pay someone." You don't even own the type of equipment we are referencing here so how does that exactly make your opinions valid or worth reading? Just because someone claims to be an electrician doesn't mean they have extensive experience in wiring RV specific services and I don't "do" gambling... instead of me ignoring you, how about just go give "advice" on another forum topic. I think your "cred" is ruined here.

PS: I don't care what a naive person reading this thread does. I started it for my own knowledge and I'm sure, given they can read, they'll know what to do with the information. With no help from you of course...
Old 01-20-2021, 11:34 PM   #35

THOR #21795
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Good for you! A better educated consumer is a smart consumer that may prevent hundreds of dollars of damage due to a "licensed" electrician wiring 240 VAC to a 30 amp RV plug (120 VAC) which, unfortunately, has been known to happen.
Thank you! You are 100% correct. I have personally known of that situation happening so I came here to get informed as best I could first so I can discuss intelligently with my electrician and offer insights related specifically to RV's to ensure checks and balances during the process and get the best possible result for my money. Some people apparently just like to take every person who says "trust me I'm a professional" at their word and follow along like a good sheep...I am not that person. Like I said: my process hasn't failed me yet! And I don't intend for it to.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #36

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
here's the easy breakdown:

50amp RVs are making use of a 240v 4-wire outlet, up to 100amps at 120v power

30amp RVs are making use of a 120v 3-wire outlet, which is, of course, 30amps at 120v

20amp outlets, as well as 15amp outlets, are simply 'household' type outlets that provides exactly what they say they do

....many people make a big deal about all these different power outlets, but the fact is, ANY RV can make use of ANY of these outlets, with a simple adapter. The adapter does all the work, no worries.

... yes, some folks will accidentally confuse a 30amp 120v RV outlet with a much different Clothes Dryer 30amp 240v outlet, including electricians themselves. That is the only outlet that tends to bring out all the 'arguments' on these forums. Think about a 30amp RV outlet as simply a 'larger' household outlet - it's no different otherwise. It's 3-wires just like the others - a power, a ground, and a neutral.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 01:01 AM   #37

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Old 01-21-2021, 01:10 AM   #38
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
X2...
Old 01-21-2021, 01:50 AM   #39

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139

You wont be the first

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy Cone View Post
I appreciate someone stating facts and debunking things with actual evidence. But the snark part comes in when you call BS but don't offer anything in the way of constructive evidence to base your claim on which is everything you did! As shown by the statement: "I just came to say pay someone." You don't even own the type of equipment we are referencing here so how does that exactly make your opinions valid or worth reading? Just because someone claims to be an electrician doesn't mean they have extensive experience in wiring RV specific services and I don't "do" gambling... instead of me ignoring you, how about just go give "advice" on another forum topic. I think your "cred" is ruined here.

PS: I don't care what a naive person reading this thread does. I started it for my own knowledge and I'm sure, given they can read, they'll know what to do with the information. With no help from you of course...
Old 01-21-2021, 02:27 AM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
. Guys: let's not forget that we're here to learn from one another...

... and the beer!