Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2020, 08:37 PM   #41
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
Generally speaking you are best to put it close to the convertor. Your battery leads go there anyways, so should be of sufficient gauge. That also allow you to pick what circuits you want to go to the inverter which allows you to use the style which auto switches when the power is off without feeding items with too much current draw to run off an inverter like an A/c, or items you don't want to run off like a fridge which you want to auto switch to gas if no power. Generally speaking you only want small appliances, TV's etc to run off an inverter.
It would be easiest there for a small inverter, but most coaches only have a 50 Amp DC breaker between the batteries and converter and wire sized for that current, so that would be a bad idea for any inverter bigger than about 400 watts - and that's pushing it as there are other DC loads to consider.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:52 PM   #42

State: British Columbia
THOR #12644
That is a point. Mine is 1200 w but I don't come anywhere near to drawing that. It's good idea to feel the battery leads when loading them down to see if they are warm. I don't try to run a microwave or anything like that. if I want to do that i start the genset. The inverter is handy for powering a TV, my cpap, computer & stuff like that. I had a heck of a job getting my fridge onto a separate 120v run as its on the other side of the RV and was looped to a couple of other sockets, including the one powering my TV. That is one appliance you do not want running off an inverter unless ist A/C only.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:00 PM   #43
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcoman View Post
That is a point. Mine is 1200 w but I don't come anywhere near to drawing that. It's good idea to feel the battery leads when loading them down to see if they are warm. I don't try to run a microwave or anything like that. if I want to do that i start the genset. The inverter is handy for powering a TV, my cpap, computer & stuff like that. I had a heck of a job getting my fridge onto a separate 120v run as its on the other side of the RV and was looped to a couple of other sockets, including the one powering my TV. That is one appliance you do not want running off an inverter unless ist A/C only.
What appliance are you referring to? A TV? That's the primary purpose of adding an inverter in most RVs: to power the TV without running the generator when not connected to SP.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:03 PM   #44

State: British Columbia
THOR #12644
no, i meant my fridge & TV were on the same run,so I had to separate them out so the TV was on the inverter, but the fridge was not.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:14 PM   #45
Site Team

THOR #7035
So the absorption fridge is the appliance you never want to run off an inverter? Better not tell that to all the propane safety advocates whose primary purpose for an inverter is so they can run their absorption fridge underway without using the "dangerous" propane.

400 watts of resistive load is the perfect use for a MSW inverter.

Tags
cable length, inverter, inverter placement