Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2018, 04:36 AM   #1

State: Florida
THOR #7299
Inverter

If the RV is not hooked to shore power how long will the inverter run the residential refrigerator? Thinking of a future trip which will involve boondocking and don’t want to run the generator non stop.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Till the battery is dead. Underway, your alternator will charge your battery. Boon docking, depends on your power usage and that's a question that can not be answered with any accuracy here.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:55 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
agreed, so many folks ask this same question, but it's not one anyone else can answer but you. YOUR situation and how your use it and how you 'camp' and your expectations and how much 'stuff' you put in it and how often your open the door and how 'low' your set the temperature and whether you want the ice maker to make ice.... etc, etc... you get the idea.

what is your make and model of RV?
what type of fridge do you have?
how many batteries for the House do you have?
what make and model Inverter do you have?
do you have an AGS(automatic generator starter)?
do you have a battery charge/level readout?

you'll not be needing to ever run your generator 24/7 'just because' you have a residential fridge, if that's indeed what you have. most any manufacturer is going to provide at least two 6v deep charge House batteries, even if just for the fridge. Your inverter will take the 12v battery output and turn it into 120v outlet power for the fridge, and even possibly other outlets in your RV. Your generator will charge the batteries when off-grid, but how often and for how long truly is subjective to your situation at the time. None of us have an 'exact' amount of time that a generator runs... it will depend on the usage. Everyone is different. Plus, some of us turn our fridge 'up', or even 'off', during the night.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
As others have said there is a lot of unknowns but I can tell you of my experience. I have a 2016 Miramar with an 1800 watt inverter and had 2-6 volt deep cycle batteries. I would turn the generator off at 10:00 pm and the low battery warning would begin beeping at 5:00 am.

I had the AutoGenStart set to not run from 10:00 pm to 7:00 am so I couldn't make it through the night. I replaced the 2 batteries that came with the coach with 4-6 volt 235AH batteries. I haven't had a problem since.

You could also shut off the fridge just before going to bed and it should remain cold enough through the night. A couple hours of running the generator should bring the batteries back to normal.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #5

Model: Chateau Super C 33SW
THOR #10499
2015 Chateau 33SW on the F-550 chassis.

I have been having troubles with more than about 30 minutes on the inverter with the fridge, so have been wondering the same thing for a couple of months. The batteries were new in 2017, 2 under the step in the battery compartment, and a 3rd added in the storage compartment with the inverter. I did notice the other day that 2 of the batteries are starting batteries and the 3rd is a deep cycle, all 12V. Could the starting batteries be causing part of the issue? It's pretty frustrating that the inverter starts alarming very soon after switching from shore power to battery.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #6

THOR #4735
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanChateau33SW View Post

I have been having troubles with more than about 30 minutes on the inverter with the fridge, so have been wondering the same thing for a couple of months. The batteries were new in 2017, 2 under the step in the battery compartment, and a 3rd added in the storage compartment with the inverter. I did notice the other day that 2 of the batteries are starting batteries and the 3rd is a deep cycle, all 12V. Could the starting batteries be causing part of the issue? It's pretty frustrating that the inverter starts alarming very soon after switching from shore power to battery.
doubtful, since only the one battery is for the House, or thru the Inverter... the starting batteries are for the vehicle/coach only, nothing to do with the inverter or running the 'fridge'...

12v batteries aren't the best for 'deep charge' usage, which is what you need for slow consistent drain on the batteries from inverter usage. Two 6v deep cycle would work much better, longer. Most of the larger coaches have a least 4 of these, and most all have residential fridges, but most smaller coaches only provide 2 6v batteries on a smaller 'fridge only' inverter.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:35 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:

Sounds like the wrong type of batteries are being used for the wrong application. Your starting (chassis) battery should be a 12V starting battery, but the house batteries should be deep cycle (either 6V or 12V.) You may want to consider replacing the house batteries with good deep cycle batteries, and move the starting battery to the chassis battery wiring. If they are sealed lead acid batteries, you may also want to check their water levels and top them off (cover the plates) every so often with distilled water. Constant charging tends to wreck SLA batteries as the fluid boils off and the level goes down, uncovering the lead plates and making them less effective. If you choose to replace them, I would recommend AGM (absorbed glass mat) deep cycle batteries as they are pretty much no maintenance batteries.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

THOR #10499
I should clarify that the starter batteries I ma referencing are not the chassis batteries. They are coach batteries, connected to the 12V coach side. A 3rd deep cycle was added, presumably because there wasn't enough run time with the 2 that were installed.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #9

THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Sounds like the wrong type of batteries are being used for the wrong application. Your starting (chassis) battery should be a 12V starting battery, but the house batteries should be deep cycle (either 6V or 12V.) You may want to consider replacing the house batteries with good deep cycle batteries, and move the starting battery to the chassis battery wiring. If they are sealed lead acid batteries, you may also want to check their water levels and top them off (cover the plates) every so often with distilled water. Constant charging tends to wreck SLA batteries as the fluid boils off and the level goes down, uncovering the lead plates and making them less effective. If you choose to replace them, I would recommend AGM (absorbed glass mat) deep cycle batteries as they are pretty much no maintenance batteries.

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking they installed the wrong application of batteries also. If I change out the 2 batteries to 6V and still have the 12V deep cycle, am I going to have any problems? Seems that I wouldn't want to mismatch the system like that.

I would definitely go with AGM if/when I replace them. You get better aH and less maintenance. I was thinking also o fbuying pure lead batteries for more run time. Thoughts?
Old 03-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Dan, if you install two new 6-Volt batteries they will be connected in series to provide the same 12-Volts, so that in itself isn’t the biggest problem. In my opinion you don’t want to connect AGMs and flooded together because they have different charging requirements.

In the long run you’d probably be happier with 4 new batteries. Your existing deep cycle battery may not be that great already. If you go with AGM, check converter to see if you can switch charge setting from flooded to AGM.

By the way, I like AGM batteries, but I’m not sure you get more amp-hours compared to flooded for the same size or weight. That’s not to say they are not worth the slight reduction in capacity — they have other advantages.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #11

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
If they are under the steps, there may not be enough room for additional batteries. And yes, don’t mix battery types (SLA and AGM) or they will all perform poorly as charging is different for each.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #12

THOR #10499
Thanks All. Sounds like our batteries are not at the top of their game any more. When not running the inverter, they seem to last quite a while just running the radio, lights, and the water pump though.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 AM   #13
Edk

Model: Chateau 35sk
State: Connecticut
THOR #7856
Quote:

Dan, a couple of things you got to be aware of 1st most important if that 3rd battery is flooded lead acid it most definitely should be in a ventilated compartment. When charging it off gases corrosive and possible flammable gases. With your inverter mounted in the same compartment could cause severe consequences. Also a properly designed battery bank should be, 1) all batteries same amp hrs, and 2) same age, and 3) all deep cycle 6 or 12 volt if not, charging and discharging will not work correctly.
Edk
Old 03-19-2018, 01:24 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Your inverter may be screaming after about half an hour due to low voltage detection caused by an excessive voltage drop from your batteries to the inverter. Check those connections for corrosion and the wires to the inverter to make sure they are sized properly for the current draw and length of run.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:51 PM   #15

THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edk View Post
Dan, a couple of things you got to be aware of 1st most important if that 3rd battery is flooded lead acid it most definitely should be in a ventilated compartment. When charging it off gases corrosive and possible flammable gases. With your inverter mounted in the same compartment could cause severe consequences. Also a properly designed battery bank should be, 1) all batteries same amp hrs, and 2) same age, and 3) all deep cycle 6 or 12 volt if not, charging and discharging will not work correctly.
Edk
Thanks Ed. The battery box does have a vent to the outside of the compartment. We bought the MH in January, and just took our first trip this past weekend. I haven't checked the water level in the batteries yet, but will be sure to do that this week.

They are different batteries, and I agree that the will have different charging requirements and discharge rates. No doubt, the "starter" batteries under the step will draw down before the deep cycle in the compartment, but it won't be far behind once the other 2 are dead.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:54 PM   #16

THOR #10499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Your inverter may be screaming after about half an hour due to low voltage detection caused by an excessive voltage drop from your batteries to the inverter. Check those connections for corrosion and the wires to the inverter to make sure they are sized properly for the current draw and length of run.
Thanks Ted & Melinda. The terminals are all clean, battery cables are appropriately sized, and the inverter is only a couple of feet away - I'd say less than 4 feet, maybe a 5 foot cable run.

I think I am going to start with replacing the batteries, but will also add a solar array to help with keeping them charged - probably start with 400W. I am going to star another thread about solar because I have several questions regarding how to connect and if the coach charger being on at the same time is going to cause any problems.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:44 PM   #17

THOR #10499
Checked water and connections in the batteries tonight. 4 of the 6 terminals we loose. Tightened them and testing the fridge on inverter for the last hour or so. Batteries are holding steady at 12.1V. The fridge was starting from being if the last few days, so that's with the compressor running constantly. I think we are in good shape as far as batteries go. Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:28 PM   #18

Model: 2019 Thor Aria 3901
State: Illinois
THOR #11051
aria 3901 inverter

Newby, and not sure how to post so here goes. Will the aria 3901 microwave and induction stove top run off the magnum inverter? I think it's a MODIFIED sine wave inverter. Thanks, engrprof
Old 03-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #19

THOR #4735
yes, they should, if they are plugged into a 120v outlet, as I'm sure they are. You'll have to watch the cooktop which can bring down the battery levels very quickly, though.