Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Outlaw 38RE
State: West Virginia
THOR #17154
Propane won’t flow

I’m sorry to be a newbie PITA! But I’m so non mechanically inclined it’s not funny. And I’ve owned this thing for a week and ready to give up. Overnight we discovered multiple issues. It’s raining here and a wiper blade broke, so we’re going to be a while before we can move. So - we may spend another night in Walmart.
That said, my propane stopped flowing. So I have no heat. We did as advised and turned off the propane before we left our last stop. When we got here last night, I turned it back on, but nothing flowed. Nothing to the furnace, stove or water heater. So I’m thinking it’s the regulator at the tank? My mechanical abilities stop at “tapping the damned thing” to see if maybe something inside was stuck.

Someone - please tell me it’s a simple fix...

Thank you

Old 11-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
1 - Verify there is propane in the tank by the local gauge
2 - Verify the valve is all the way open by turning counter-clockwise
3 - Turn on a stove top burner and put a flame next to the burner - it should flicker due to air/gas flow even if it doesn't light due to air in the line.

If no flow per step 3 above you probably do have a regulator problem. If you have flow, let it run until the flame lights the burner and continue to run it to get air out of the system before trying the heater.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
"16" has given you some darn good advice...
I'll just add that you're not a PITA, and good luck!
Everybody has to start somewhere...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:07 PM   #4

THOR #17154
We have a full tank. Filled it before we left and the gauge shows full.
When we turn on the main valve we can hear pressure open up. So it appears that the main valve / knob is working.
When we turn on the stove jets and click piezo, every once in a while a small 1/4” flame will light then quickly go out.
When I turn on the furnace and it calls for heat, the fan will blow, and I think I can hear clicking when it tries to ignite the propane.
The water heater “pilot out” light illuminates.

I’m confident there’s either a blockage at the main or the regulator is stuck closed.

Any miracle cures?
Old 11-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37YT
State: Texas
THOR #16118
For our coach, it takes 15-20 seconds of flow at the stove for it to light... and another 15 or so seconds to get gas back to the water heater. It is low pressure, so it takes awhile to clear the air out of the pipes.

If required, changing the regulator should not be difficult. Good luck!
2020 Thor Challenger 37YT
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Terry Ekeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

THOR #17154
While we’re waiting for wiper blades, we tried the stove again.
We turned on the propane at the tank.
Heard the pressure.
Turned on the burner and hit the lighter.
The burner lit and burned (blue) for a little, pulsed a little, then slowly decreased till it’s sitting there at less than 1/4” flame.
Now we’ve got 1/3” yellow flame
Old 11-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #7

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Get one of these in your walmart.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bic-Multi...count/41586711

It takes a long time (minutes) to clear the air out of the propane line.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
It takes a long time (minutes) to clear the air out of the propane line.
I agree... and since we've all heard the horror stories about filling rooms with propane: it takes a lot of guts, and a true leap of Faith: to turn the knob... and wait to light it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:10 AM   #9

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
It sounds like air in the line. I would run a stove top burner, for awhile, while trying to light it every few seconds. My guess is after about 15 or twenty seconds of this, the burner will stay on and your air in the line problem will be solved.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:52 AM   #10

THOR #17154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
It sounds like air in the line. I would run a stove top burner, for awhile, while trying to light it every few seconds. My guess is after about 15 or twenty seconds of this, the burner will stay on and your air in the line problem will be solved.
Nope...
We ran the burner for at least 20-30 minutes. Also, no gas to the water heater or furnaces. I’m going to have to replace the regulator when we get home tomorrow. Tonight, at 38 degrees, we freeze...
Old 11-08-2019, 03:06 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by WearyTraveler View Post
Nope...
We ran the burner for at least 20-30 minutes. Also, no gas to the water heater or furnaces. I’m going to have to replace the regulator when we get home tomorrow. Tonight, at 38 degrees, we freeze...
You need a backup plan. Carry a gas buddy and a 1g propane tank for emergencies. It doesn't take up a lot of room and will warm the space enough for an overnight stay.

Similar situation: traveling from NC to FL to see parents. Got tired, pulled into a flying J to spend the night. Fridge gas light flashing - nothing at the range top. Hook a 20lb to an extend-a-stay and all is good. Try to fill the tank. She accepts a gallon. Been sitting in FL for two weeks. Fridge and water heater have been exclusively on gas. Go figure. I'm still scratching my head. The RV is level in both scenarios...
Old 11-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #12

State: Arizona
THOR #14192
Based on your troubleshooting it sounds like you have moisture in the regulator. Close the valve and open slowly, then try. I’ve had that happen with a grill in cold weather, a couple of try’s closing then opening the valve may fix it. Just open slowly.
Old 11-08-2019, 03:27 AM   #13

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
Nope...
Do you have a small electric heater and enough gas to run the generator?
Old 11-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #14

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
We have a full tank. Filled it before we left and the gauge shows full.
When we turn on the main valve we can hear pressure open up. So it appears that the main valve / knob is working.
When we turn on the stove jets and click piezo, every once in a while a small 1/4” flame will light then quickly go out.
When I turn on the furnace and it calls for heat, the fan will blow, and I think I can hear clicking when it tries to ignite the propane.
The water heater “pilot out” light illuminates.

I’m confident there’s either a blockage at the main or the regulator is stuck closed.

Any miracle cures?
Turn off tank gas valve. Wait for 1 min and reopen Slowly as stated above. Some have a built in safety valve that will close if gas flows too fast. Don't know if yours has this or not. Why did you turn off the gas at your last stop? No reason to do that that I have heard. Many people travel with the fridge on gas.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #15

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Turn off tank gas valve. Wait for 1 min and reopen Slowly as stated above. Some have a built in safety valve that will close if gas flows too fast.
This
Old 11-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #16

THOR #17154
All thank you for the responses!

We eventually made it to an RV repair shop. I talked to a mechanic there and discussed the symptoms. He said that it sounded like a failed regulator and that he sees “a lot” of failed ones. But he didn’t have the needed model in inventory so he couldn’t fix if for us.

So I’m home, looking for a replacement online. Now more confusion...
  • He said that it was a single stage regulator.
  • The Thor manual says it uses 2 stage regulators

Who is right? I haven’t looked at the current one closely. I’ll get a chance to look again tomorrow and maybe determine single vs 2 stage.

With the little reading I’ve done, 2 stage is safer / better. So if the bad one is a single stage, can I safely replace it with a dual?
Old 11-10-2019, 02:40 AM   #17

THOR #17154
Took the regulator off. It’s a 2 stage, not a single stage that the mech told me. Geeze- you’d think an RV tech would know that stuff!

I ordered 2 from amazon just now.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:59 PM   #18

State: Hawaii
THOR #29973
Tradevman

Quote:
I’m sorry to be a newbie PITA! But I’m so non mechanically inclined it’s not funny. And I’ve owned this thing for a week and ready to give up. Overnight we discovered multiple issues. It’s raining here and a wiper blade broke, so we’re going to be a while before we can move. So - we may spend another night in Walmart.
That said, my propane stopped flowing. So I have no heat. We did as advised and turned off the propane before we left our last stop. When we got here last night, I turned it back on, but nothing flowed. Nothing to the furnace, stove or water heater. So I’m thinking it’s the regulator at the tank? My mechanical abilities stop at “tapping the damned thing” to see if maybe something inside was stuck.

Someone - please tell me it’s a simple fix...

Thank you
Weary traveler, I am having the exact same problem you did in 2019. My service center said I had oil in the regulator, they put it back in after cleaning out the oil, still did not work. They suggested I find a certified propane repair center and have the tank flushed out and refilled. I called 4 propane service companies including the one that just filled my tank which suggested I replace the regulator. Took it back to my service center and had a new one installed. Still not work, they said the turn off valve is not opening and to find a certified repair center. Google could not fine one.

Multiple search's can not get me answers. I am wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem.

Any help any one can give would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2023, 11:24 AM   #19

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynearidge@gmAIL View Post
Weary traveler, I am having the exact same problem you did in 2019. My service center said I had oil in the regulator, they put it back in after cleaning out the oil, still did not work. They suggested I find a certified propane repair center and have the tank flushed out and refilled. I called 4 propane service companies including the one that just filled my tank which suggested I replace the regulator. Took it back to my service center and had a new one installed. Still not work, they said the turn off valve is not opening and to find a certified repair center. Google could not fine one.

Multiple search's can not get me answers. I am wondering if you ever found a solution to this problem.

I leave the main tank valve on all summer until winterize time.
Any help any one can give would be appreciated.
I don't know if this will fix your problem, but it will be worth a try.

I used to have refrigerator gas flow problems after sitting with the main tank turned off, like over winter time. Burning the stove burner only verified the stove had good flow and not to the fridge.

What I did: Using two wrenches to keep from twisting and/or breaking the hose connection bracket, I would open the line at that point enough to hear the gas coming through, then tighten it back down. That always seems to work.

On another rare occasion, I had to remove the little covers and take the fridge's burner out to clean any spider webs away, re-install everything, then test for function. That was a fix too.

I've never had the furnace not light, but I remember a thread here about what to look for on it.
Good luck.

I always leave the tank main valve on all summer, until winterize time.
Old 06-28-2023, 01:53 PM   #20

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I think he has a flow issue at the tank. Not an appliance problem. You could get a portable propane tank, remove the supply line from the fixed tank, attach it to the supply line, and then see if you get flow to the appliances. I can’t imagine removing and installing a valve on the tank would be that difficult if that’s the case.

Tags
newbie, propane