Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #15327
Radio advice

After 2 calls to Thor customer service, 3 wiring schematics (none of which were right) and a lot of frustration I've determined that the stock Axxera radio in my Vegas 25.1 is DOA. I've removed the old radio and looking for a replacement unit.

There was a post on this awhile back and if I remember correctly someone suggested the Kenwood DMX4707S. The Kenwood is a direct replacement but I would like to make sure that there is no loss of options (all cameras, blue tooth etc.) If anyone has any info on this one it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Dennis

Old 08-25-2020, 11:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Any double-din sized radio with an A/V input for a backup camera will work. You get to decide what other features you want (like Bluetooth, Android Auto, Satellite radio, etc). All camera switching is done outside the radio.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:37 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've got the Kenwood, and it's works great!
Old 08-25-2020, 11:42 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You are not bound to the small 7 inch screen.
Double dins come with 10 and 12 and even 13 inch screens.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VT82FVN...8399046&sr=8-4
This is an example of the available size not a recommended brand.

I would never buy anything less than an android radio head.
Too many fine things like offline maps and weather and online waze and the most excellent Sygic maps.
50,000 apps of all sorts. Don't pass them up.

Posts 186 and 379 in my signature thread shows a 10.1 inch in a Vegas dash.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:13 PM   #5

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
I got sick of the axxera unit on trip #1

It's gone!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083WH983V...p_mob_ap_share

This unit sounds sooooo much better. Reverse and side cameras work just fine.

I could not find an Android unit with XM Radio but I can actually just run the XM app and stream it.Click image for larger version

Name:	Image%20(13).jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	25885
Old 09-01-2020, 12:11 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There's a used one on that eonon page for

There's a used one on that eonon page for $145.
Stealing.
I don't have a vehicle to put it in or it'd be mine.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:22 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.1
State: Mississippi
THOR #15327
Thanks for the replies. I did purchase the Kenwood, finished the install this afternoon. It is a much better radio. Problem was I discover during the installation that the original radio was not defective there is a wiring problem in my rig. I did have to do a workaround on the new radio to get it to power up and as everyone knows workarounds ain't perfect. If we have a DC wiring expert in our group I would love to talk to you.

There is one question about the new Kenwood. Do any of the current owners know any way to activate the rear view camera without being in reverse? That was an option that I used a lot on the Axerra.

Thanks again
Old 09-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinasrig View Post
Thanks for the replies. I did purchase the Kenwood, finished the install this afternoon. It is a much better radio. Problem was I discover during the installation that the original radio was not defective there is a wiring problem in my rig. I did have to do a workaround on the new radio to get it to power up and as everyone knows workarounds ain't perfect. If we have a DC wiring expert in our group I would love to talk to you.

There is one question about the new Kenwood. Do any of the current owners know any way to activate the rear view camera without being in reverse? That was an option that I used a lot on the Axerra.

Thanks again
Seems that would be answered in the radio operating manual.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #9

THOR #19565
That’s something I actually miss. I was thinking of adding some switch that energizes the orange back up wire but not sure if that would turn on the white lights in the back.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:25 PM   #10

Model: Outlaw 37LS
State: Nebraska
THOR #1630
Setting in the radio

I installed the Pioneer AVH-600EX, but the Kenwood should be the same in terms of the rear view camera.

I leave mine on all the time to see my toad while driving.

You should not need to change any wires.

The wire that connects to the reverse lights is just used as a trigger for the radio system to automatically engage the rear view camera when in reverse. I did not need to change any wiring to get full time rearview camera. I simply hit the camera icon on the main screen on my Pioneer.

I would suggest reading the manual on the Kenwood.

If you are not getting the rear camera at all (including when the RV is in reverse) I would first check the settings on the radio. On my Pioneer, I always have to re-enable the camera in the settings after it has been in storage (i.e. meaning I disconnected the house batteries).

If you have it properly enabled in the radio settings and still do not get the rear, it is most likely the video switch box. They use a video switch box that takes all 3 camera inputs, and then outputs to the single cam connection on your radio.

Do you get a camera picture when using either of the turn signals?
If yes, try swapping the rear view camera and that turn signal camera at the switcher box. If you now get rear view camera with the turn signal active, you know that the rear input on the switcher box is bad. If you do not get the rear camera, you can now conclude that either the rear camera has an issue, or the wiring between the camera and the box.

Hope that helps a little.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:39 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
State: South America
THOR #19174
I stream my XM off my phone. This radio is a POS. I've replaced 1 already. When unit was new I was given a free subscription to XM, never worked. Keeps telling me to look for the antenna not connected. The screen bounced off from highway driving. Good Luck...They should also place outdoor speakers instead of the TV they put on the side. Bugs Love it...
Old 09-06-2020, 01:10 AM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:

Thanks again

You just need to provide 12V to the Kenwood’s backup wire. Maybe using a rocker switch in one of the vacant locations on the dash so it looks nice. I use a separate dedicated screen for my cameras so do not use my Kenwood for that. An upcoming mod is to add a universal steering wheel or column mounted radio controls. It’s a long reach to my radio and the controls are tiny.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #13

State: Missouri
THOR #19360
Axxera

I just got my unit back after getting a new axxera installed at the dealer. I have an extended warranty and it cost me the $50 deductible instead of the $490 list price. It is actually an upgrade. This one is fit for Sirius XM whereas the original was not.

We will see how long it is usable. The backup camera is working fine with the new radio. The original kept blowing fuses and after testing the dealer agreed it was the radio itself that was defective.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:16 AM   #14

THOR #18343
For those talking about XM RADIO, all you need to do is buy the Sirius/xm tuner and plug it into the back of the radio...
Old 09-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #15

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:

Thanks again
My backup camera comes on if I activate the hazard warning lights
Old 09-10-2020, 01:26 AM   #16

THOR #19565
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBarba View Post
I stream my XM off my phone. This radio is a POS. I've replaced 1 already. When unit was new I was given a free subscription to XM, never worked. Keeps telling me to look for the antenna not connected. The screen bounced off from highway driving. Good Luck...They should also place outdoor speakers instead of the TV they put on the side. Bugs Love it...
My brand new axxera also had the antenna issue 2000 miles I to the first trip. Piece of junk. Already replaced it.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:10 PM   #17

Brand: Jayco
State: New Jersey
THOR #19560
Putting on the emergency flashers turned on the back camera when I had the THOR coach.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:57 AM   #18

Model: Windsport 34R
State: Texas
THOR #21191
not a radio prob but how do you remove the plastic trim around the radio and the AC controls? I need to replace the AC control module as the second fan speed is inop.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #19

Model: AXIS 25.3
State: California
THOR #20631
Just my luck :-( After reading about the bad radio I was ready to upgrade with a new one from Amazon. But on the way to get other issues addressed the radio broke. It was frozen on and you couldn't change stations nor change the volume. The service manager had to remove and disconnect to shut it off. So just my luck, I'll get a replacement Axxera under warranty instead of an upgrade.
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:15 PM   #20

THOR #18343
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojanlora View Post
My brand new axxera also had the antenna issue 2000 miles I to the first trip. Piece of junk. Already replaced it.
I know it’s a little late but you need to buy a xm tuner and plug it into the back of the radio. Then XM will work!