Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2021, 07:48 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: California
THOR #22013
Rapid deterioration of Fake leather

After only moderate use of my 2016 Chateau Citation motor home, the paper thin coating of the fake leather on my hide-a-bed couch began rapidly flaking across both arms and the seating areas of the couch. The product is obviously cheap and of poor quality. To make matters worse it would almost be impossible to replace because it is part of the entire fabric covering associated with the hide-a-bed. Very disappointing. After contacting the company and advising them, they told me there was no relief, the product was out of warrant.New buyers...BEWARE! Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!

Old 03-14-2021, 08:16 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
This is a well-documented issue with RVs built around the same time as yours.
The company that sold that crap went belly-up, and your factory warranty is a distant memory.
Try to look on this as an opportunity to customize your rig.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Right. It’s common among all brands and has been going on for at least 6 or 7 years. The manufacturers are doing it with full knowledge. In my case, my 2019 Newmar began peeling in fewer than 6,000 miles. Newmar has agreed to recover all of my furniture and only time will tell if they choose a better product this time. Flexsteel was a major supplier of the poor quality furniture but it was only in conjunction with what the manufacturers specified. Flexsteel is still in business but is no longer supplying the RV industry. Apparently though a number of Flexsteel’s former employees have formed their own company to make seats and they will be redoing mine (in October!). I have to suppose that they are not especially interested in getting the same reputation that their former employers have!
Old 03-14-2021, 08:42 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronadoron View Post
After only moderate use of my 2016 Chateau Citation motor home, the paper thin coating of the fake leather on my hide-a-bed couch began rapidly flaking across both arms and the seating areas of the couch. The product is obviously cheap and of poor quality. To make matters worse it would almost be impossible to replace because it is part of the entire fabric covering associated with the hide-a-bed. Very disappointing. After contacting the company and advising them, they told me there was no relief, the product was out of warrant.New buyers...BEWARE! Cheap, Cheap, Cheap!
Everyone with a rig "of a certain age" seems to have this problem. I just put these on captain's chairs yesterday - nice fit, reasonable price, durability TBD. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looking at options for recovering the dinette cushions. Thinking about giving these folks a shot - but haven't yet committed to the decision. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Look at it this way: For a 2016 you got a lot more mileage out of that covering than most people.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:35 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
And most of us expect to aimlessly spend money on a vehicle that was probably over priced to begin with but you would like to think items like couches and seats could hold up for a few more than a handful of years.
I really did enjoy Thor's, "sorry dude" attitude about it. $187K isn't enough to include the good stuff.

The seats/couch we ended up replacing them with are a lot nicer and functional for sure so I guess in hindsight it was an upgrade it was just about the last thing we thought we would have to replace that soon.

Funny that I have lawn chairs sitting in the backyard of my house in Texas that are 8 years olds and look better than the crap we pulled out of the Palazzo.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You bought leatherette, aka fake leather, aka faux leather. What do you expect from fake anything? Thor never said you were getting real anything.
Old 03-22-2021, 10:11 PM   #8

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
And most of us expect to aimlessly spend money on a vehicle that was probably over priced to begin with but you would like to think items like couches and seats could hold up for a few more than a handful of years.

I really did enjoy Thor's, "sorry dude" attitude about it. $187K isn't enough to include the good stuff.

The seats/couch we ended up replacing them with are a lot nicer and functional for sure so I guess in hindsight it was an upgrade it was just about the last thing we thought we would have to replace that soon.

Funny that I have lawn chairs sitting in the backyard of my house in Texas that are 8 years olds and look better than the crap we pulled out of the Palazzo.

Take a deep breath and let it go. Sure, this sort of stuff shouldn’t happen at all - let alone be common. But it is. Expensive but at least you’ve got a nice upgrade.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:42 AM   #9

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
You bought leatherette, aka fake leather, aka faux leather. What do you expect from fake anything? Thor never said you were getting real anything.
Oh I get it, it's the consumer who's the idiot. How could anyone ever fault a multi billion dollar operation?
I mean so what if this happens to everyone who's purchased an RV with this exact same material, the builders is surely not at any fault.

The poor guys.
I guess bending over for anything they want to throw in there is the correct way to act?

You do realize there are thousands of pieces of furniture built across the world right now using "fake leather" and they aren't having this issue.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:01 AM   #10

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzball View Post
Oh I get it, it's the consumer who's the idiot. How could anyone ever fault a multi billion dollar operation?

I mean so what if this happens to everyone who's purchased an RV with this exact same material, the builders is surely not at any fault.

The poor guys.

I guess bending over for anything they want to throw in there is the correct way to act?

You do realize there are thousands of pieces of furniture built across the world right now using "fake leather" and they aren't having this issue.

Of course it’s the manufacturers fault. They’ve been putting that stuff in all brands of coach for years. It’s a dreadful practice and they don’t even try to hide it. But getting all fuzzed up about it after the fact is not very productive. You can go there if you want but at this point in my life I simply refuse to be upset about something as relatively unimportant as furniture.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:11 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #6600
Feeling the same pain.. All the furniture in my 2015 Windsport is ruined with this issue and am forced to deal with it. Recovering was going to cost me $4K. So I decided to remodel the interior. Here is my crappy covered Thor furniture:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	29296

I will send a post with updated interior once I’m done. Went with new pieces from Shop4Seats.

The Manufacturers have been using this stuff knowingly for years. I’ve seen posts across many from owners of 2009-2016 models. Doesn’t make it right in any way shape or form what they are doing. Like most of you, I enjoy owning my RV, and have taken many great trips and tailgates. Been RVing for 25+ years and understand well the quality burden owners face. This particular issue is such a pain. I think it’s worth some effort to ensure new potential buyers are aware. Maybe that will improve what’s offered.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:20 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It stinks that you have to go through all of this trouble; but your RV will be a one of a kind beauty: when you're done!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #13

THOR #6600
Yes. We are taking opportunity to rework the interior. Quite a project! Been dealing with the pleather dandruff mess for past 4 years, every type of seat cover you can imagine. Had enough. Having some challenges with Shop4Seats also, but they are working with us and have been very supportive. Can’t say that for Thor. Although I will say this, we have had to order a variety of indoor materials to do our mods and the The Thor parts folks and our dealer have been fantastic to help. I’ve been able to get everything I need to match the interior. Also some great help from some countertop makers in Elkhart.
Old 03-23-2021, 04:03 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
does this work? 303 Products (30308CSR) UV Protectant Spray for Vinyl, Plastic, Rubber, Fiberglass, Leather
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	303.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	29298  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 05:59 PM   #15

State: Florida
THOR #1249
I use 303 on dash and exterior, but it will not help on the seats. I had the same crap on my home recliners and it rotted also.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #16

THOR #6600
I used UV protectant on vinyl and covered my RV for good portions of the year. Also had a treatment done at the dealership which was supposed to cover warranty on leather/Vinyl for 5 years. When I attempted to act on that warranty, I found it required follow up treatments which we never knew were needed, so no luck. I will say this, now that I’ve removed the furniture, the vinyl is more intact on spots that weren’t exposed. But I don’t think any protectant would of helped. I read on another forum that this pleather was also heat sensitive.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #17
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by southladon View Post
Feeling the same pain.. All the furniture in my 2015 Windsport is ruined with this issue and am forced to deal with it. Recovering was going to cost me $4K. So I decided to remodel the interior. Here is my crappy covered Thor furniture:Attachment 29296

I will send a post with updated interior once I’m done. Went with new pieces from Shop4Seats.

The Manufacturers have been using this stuff knowingly for years. I’ve seen posts across many from owners of 2009-2016 models. Doesn’t make it right in any way shape or form what they are doing. Like most of you, I enjoy owning my RV, and have taken many great trips and tailgates. Been RVing for 25+ years and understand well the quality burden owners face. This particular issue is such a pain. I think it’s worth some effort to ensure new potential buyers are aware. Maybe that will improve what’s offered.
It’s not Thor furniture. Thor did not manufacture that furniture and the warranty was through the furniture manufacturer.

Please stop misleading folks by saying it is Thor furniture.

Crappy, yes. Thor, no. Channel the complaints where they belong and maybe something will be done.

BTW, leatherette desk chairs also deteriorate after a short time in use and many of them are made by the same company.
Old 03-23-2021, 07:19 PM   #18

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
It’s not Thor furniture. Thor did not manufacture that furniture and the warranty was through the furniture manufacturer.

Please stop misleading folks by saying it is Thor furniture.

Crappy, yes. Thor, no. Channel the complaints where they belong and maybe something will be done.

BTW, leatherette desk chairs also deteriorate after a short time in use and many of them are made by the same company.

I disagree. It IS the RV maker’s fault. They are the ones who specified and purchased this furniture for their products. Certainly they did so with full knowledge that the seats will fail. It has been common practice in the industry for a decade or more. My 2019 Newmar began peeling in fewer than 9 months/6,000 miles. It’s a disgraceful practice but it’s just one of the things you’ll likely have to deal with when you buy an RV. Like leaks and high maintenance costs. Doesn’t make it right but getting upset about it isn’t very helpful either
Old 03-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I sorta kinda gotta agree:
Thor sourced the furniture based on low bid...

But I would be much happier to blame the manufacturer of the "Pleather"...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I'm a software engineer. If we use a third party software library in an application and that library introduces a bug, we don't, and can't, get away with saying, "Don't look at us! It's because of a bug in component X made by company Y! Oh, and sorry about your lost data. Better luck next time!" That's ridiculous. We chose that component, and it's our responsibility to make sure our software works for our customers, and fix issues should they arise.

Likewise, Thor chose the make and model for the furniture, and it's there responsibility to fix issues, should they arise, for their customers.