Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2018, 01:52 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #6634
Rear camera monitor flickers, goes blank

On my Axxera AV615BHM, the rear camera tends to flicker when the road gets bumpy (and sometimes when the road is smooth). Eventually the monitor goes out completely. I can usually get it to come back on by lightly hitting the dash just below the monitor, but the screen will eventually flicker and got black again. I can reach under the dash and find a connection that turns the screen off when unplugged, but pushing the plug back into place doesn't do anything to help the overall problem. Has anyone else had this, and can you tell me the best way to get to the Axxera wiring in order to figure out what's going on? Thanks!
Hugh Chapman
2017 Thor ACE 29.4 with 13,000 miles.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #2

Model: 2018 Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #9055
Mine does the same, flickers, flashes and goes blank every so often. I wonder how many of us have the same issue.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
I was trying to clean up the under dash wires the other day and found the camera connection box. Its about 2x3 located to the drivers side of the radio, not attached to anything. I disconnected/reconnected the wires and my rear camera problem stopped. Find the connection box
Old 04-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Ours does that also, seems to be the video cable between the splitter and the radio. I pinched the ground, outside, slightly on the RCA plugged and this has helped a lot.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #5

THOR #6634
I'll get out and dig around under the dash later today. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #6

Model: Four Winds 24FS Class C
State: California
THOR #10509
Axxera

My Axxera back up camera acted the same way. I took it to Camping World and upon examination they found loose connectors due to tension on the cables in the back. When they relieved the tension and reconnected and reinstalled the unit, the camera worked fine. Poor installation causing a problem is consistent with several other installation issues I have had with my new Thor Class C.
Old 04-14-2018, 05:26 PM   #7

THOR #6634
Cautiously optomistic

Ok, Be Happy. I dove in today to find the connection box you talked about. After ten minutes of arm and body contortions I think I hit pay-dirt; a small gray box with three rca plugs. I assume the plugs were for the left, right and back-up cameras. They were all plugged in and at first seemed secure, but then I noticed that each plug had a round tightening nut that when screwed onto the receivers should hold the wires in place. All three of the nuts were loose. I tightened each of them then took the rig for a short drive. The eight miles was not enough to make me absolutely certain that the monitor was working right, but I didn't notice any more flickering.
As Roger said, this sort of thing is consistent with a batch of other problems I've had. I'm starting to feel that instead of an RV I've bought an RV kit. I'm hoping that I'm getting closer to having everything assembled.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #8

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I have had this problem from day one.

I tried squeezing the RCA jack, taping the connection, still have to reach under and tap the wires bundle.

I am going to try adding a patch cord between the 2 wires and see if I can identify which end is more of the culprit, or eventually cut the RCA jacks and splice the individual wires. I am reluctant to try this because the wire lead from the radio unit is pretty short and it is difficult to reach all the way up to the back of the radio.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:38 AM   #9

State: Alabama
THOR #11329
I had the same issue. Had the unit replaced twice. Finally figured out the dimmer selection from the system touchscreen had to be in the off position. Haven’t had any problems since.
Old 04-24-2018, 12:26 AM   #10

State: California
THOR #7588
Had same problem with my Axis 25.2. Top top of dash board off to expose back of radio. Found the camera wire. Made sure it was well connected, then taped it together with electrical insulation tape and never had the problem again.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 35M
State: Michigan
THOR #7496
Had to grin when i read your post, just got back from florida, was having the same problem.
A firm tap on the panel near the radio, would usually fix it, at least for a while.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #12

State: Alabama
THOR #8876
Didn't even make it home in our 2017 34F before the camera controller fell out of the dash. Shortly later the backup camera quit working. I fixed the connection and attached the camera controller better.

I can't remember who's post I saw this in originally but it's not my idea. I plan to order a quad input monitor, run the cameras directly to it, and add an additional camera to the front of the RV. For $100 or so it should simplify things greatly.