Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2022, 11:56 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicker View Post
I got the Pioneer DMH-W2770NEX to replace the stock head unit. This new one supports wireless car play. It seems really nice except it does this dreaded “AMP Overloaded” message when the RV starts up.

Running in battery, it plays through all the speakers fine. I had it installed at Car Toys and they are at a loss what’s triggering the problem. All the speakers are checking out ok.

Has anyone seen this problem yet?
If it's under warranty send it back and get another one, if it does the same thing it's probably the installation

Old 11-23-2022, 12:20 AM   #22

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Texas
THOR #28119
I’m still at the shop. We swapped out a second head unit. Same thing. Replaced theater seat speakers from factory, same thing.

It only happens when the engine is turned. When it’s running off the house batteries, there are no problems.

What scenario would running the engine be sending more power to the radio unit? So frustrating.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:42 AM   #23

THOR #20274
Quote:
I’m still at the shop. We swapped out a second head unit. Same thing. Replaced theater seat speakers from factory, same thing.

It only happens when the engine is turned. When it’s running off the house batteries, there are no problems.

What scenario would running the engine be sending more power to the radio unit? So frustrating.
I looked at 2 videos on YouTube and it turns out both videos say there is bad wiring to the speakers. They said disconnect one speaker at a time until it stops, bad wiring or a bad speaker. One person cut the wires near the radio one by one because the short was in the wiring going to the speaker. I don't know why it does it only with the engine running
Old 11-23-2022, 12:57 AM   #24

THOR #28119
I thought it just ran off of the coach batteries. Any thoughts on how to keep it lower voltage?
Old 11-23-2022, 01:09 AM   #25

THOR #20274
Quote:
I thought it just ran off of the coach batteries. Any thoughts on how to keep it lower voltage?
They are saying the amp is overloading because of shorted speaker wires. Try a Google search there might be posts or videos from Pioneer on amp overloading
Old 11-23-2022, 01:09 AM   #26
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Does it do it when the engine starts as you first said? Or while the engine is running which you later said?

The difference between the engine running or not is the voltage applied to the memory power wire initially, and to the house battery bus after the BIRD/BIM kicks in. There may also be a lot of RF ripple from the alternator on the power lines or RF in the air from other engine components.

Does it work OK when SP is plugged in? The converter can also supply up to 14.6 VDC to both the house and chassis DC busses.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 01:12 AM   #27

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Did your old radio run off of both engine and house batteries? In my coach the radio only runs off of the house batteries. If your old radio was only house batteries and now it is hooked to both house and engine then turning the engine on might overload the radio.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:17 AM   #28

THOR #28119
Old radio was factory and when we purchased our rv earlier this year, was a dead brick.

It doesn’t hit AMP overload just when turning on the motorcoach, it’s literally within a few seconds after putting it into drive. Just running off house batteries is fine.

I haven’t tested shore power or inverter. I will do that tomorrow.
Old 11-23-2022, 01:26 AM   #29
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Old radio was factory and when we purchased our rv earlier this year, was a dead brick.

It doesn’t hit AMP overload just when turning on the motorcoach, it’s literally within a few seconds after putting it into drive. Just running off house batteries is fine.

Inverter? Do you have an inverter/charger? Or just a converter?
Old 11-23-2022, 01:52 AM   #30

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:

Check your alternator. Years ago, I was experiencing electrical problems with the instrument panel gauges and the radio. The problems occurred while driving or standing still revving the engine. The problem turned out to be the rectifier in the alternator, AC current was leaking into the 12-volt dc wiring. Since the rectifier was integrated with the alternator, we replaced the alternator and the corrected all the problems.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 02:14 AM   #31

THOR #20274
Quote:

I was watching another video,
Like I posted before and removed the voltage can be too high or too low, the radio has parameters, and it will turn on the amp warning. Watch the video
Old 11-23-2022, 04:05 PM   #32

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
I was watching another video,
Like I posted before and removed the voltage can be too high or too low, the radio has parameters, and it will turn on the amp warning. Watch the video
Can you simulate having AC on the line, as if the alternators rectifier is failing?

Old 11-23-2022, 05:08 PM   #33
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Can you simulate having AC on the line, as if the alternators rectifier is failing?
Just switch the voltmeter to the AC scale while measuring the DC voltage. If there is AC ripple of any significance it will be read.
Old 11-23-2022, 06:39 PM   #34

THOR #28145
Quote:
I was wondering whether AC on the line could be simulated on the bench.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:22 PM   #35

THOR #20274
Quote:
I remember the old days changing the diodes in my alternator when I ran my aircraft landing lights too long.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:45 PM   #36
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I was wondering whether AC on the line could be simulated on the bench.
Yep, apply an AC signal from a signal generator through a capacitor to the DC voltage. The signal generator would determine the frequency and amplitude of the AC signal. A good signal generator can inject sine waves, square waves, sawtooth waves, etc.
Old 11-30-2022, 11:06 PM   #37

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Driving just a few blocks from my residence, my AVM70 started to flicker while the directional signal was on. Soon my cabin filled with smoke coming from below dash under the radio, and smoke detector went off. I pulled onto a side street, opened windows and doors, the smoke cleared, but I had no more connections to cameras, radio would not work, nor was my phone connected.

I have insurance that will cover a replacement ($100 deductible), but it has been impossible to get someone/someplace to install new radio. Up until today the best I can do is a Camping World, which I have had many bad experiences, who set up an appointment for me on 1-3-23, but can not guarantee it will be fixed before I leave for Florida, because parts have been coming in 4 to 6 weeks later. I'll be in Florida by the time they come in.

Today, Best Buy said they would do the work, if they carry a radio that I can view cameras and connect my iPhone. Does anyone know what I can use to replace the AVM70 that Best Buy may have? Also has anyone had a similar experience?
Old 11-30-2022, 11:58 PM   #38
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
Today, Best Buy said they would do the work, if they carry a radio that I can view cameras and connect my iPhone. Does anyone know what I can use to replace the AVM70 that Best Buy may have? Also has anyone had a similar experience?
Any double DIN form factor radio with an RCA backup camera video input will work. The camera switching is done external to the radio.

Of course you don't know if the camera switcher and wiring are still intact - no telling what the radio dragged down with it.

BestBuy claims to have access to 54 different models of DoubleDIN form factor radios:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...&st=car+stereo

You just need to narrow down the other features you want.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:02 AM   #39

THOR #20274
Try doing a search at the top of the page. This is from another thread, possibly this radio might be sold at Best Buy.https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...m70-32668.html
Old 01-02-2023, 09:07 PM   #40

State: North Carolina
THOR #26556
If you have that old Axxera laying around, would you like a few bucks for it? Mine went out, AVM70, and I'm selling the RV (HE24). Camping world wants $1500.