Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Replacing Axxera AVM70 stereo

The Axxera AVM70 stereo in my Chateau 31E continues to annoy the heck out of me. When listening to a podcast it cuts in and out all the time, even if the podcast was previously downloaded via wifi. The display flickers whenever the headlights are on. And there is the annoying muting of the audio whenever you use turn signals and it switches to the camera view. I also find the rear camera display is pretty useless in the dark or in bright light (i.e. most of the time).

I would also like to have an RV navigation system where I can enter the RV dimensions to avoid getting into bad situations where it doesn’t fit. I was considering getting a Garmin RV nav unit, but I think I'd prefer to have the nav system built into the stereo if it had the features I want. Apple Car Play would also be a nice feature to have.

So, I decided to replace the Axxera with the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX DVD/CD reciever. It used to be their flagship model and sold for about $800, but it has now been replaced with the 8201NEX (which looks the same to me), so it’s now $620 at Walmart or $645 Amazon. This seems like a good deal to get a top of the line Pioneer stereo with Car Play plus a navigation system.

Here are some highlights:
· 7” capacitive touch-screen display
· Built-in navigation system, includes free map updates. Has 7.9 million points of interest.
· Can create a navigation system profile for the RV, with vehicle dimensions and weight. Also which type of roads you want to avoid (dirt roads, toll roads, etc.)
· Receives free traffic into
· Has Apple Car Play and Android Auto

· Compatible with the existing cameras. Also has an additional camera input if you want one.

· Does not change the radio volume when switching to camera view

Old 05-23-2018, 06:07 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
The display in our Chateau 24F flickers on and off also, seems like only when the headlights on. Thanks for the suggestion on the stereo replacement, have been looking for a good replacement with navigation.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:44 PM   #3

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
IMHO the Axxera radios make great boat anchors. I replaced mine a long time go with the Pioneer AVH-4100NEX. There are newer models now. The display includes reticulated lines so that it is easier to judge the rear camera distances. The Pioneer NEX series have Apple CarPlay which I use all the time.

As for "on board" vs. a Garmin GPS, I went with the Garmin RV 760 GPS. I have it mounted on the dash above the instruments. I like it there because it gives me a speedometer without taking my eyes off the road. It allows you to put in length, width, height, and GVWR. It has never gotten me in a bad situation. The other thing I like is the lifetime updates.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
How about some pictures?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
How about some pictures?

I haven't installed it yet. I just made the decision on which unit to get and I ordered it. I'm hoping to install it in a couple of weeks, and I'll probably upgrade the door speakers while I'm at it.

When I install it, I'd like to run a cable from the TV audio output to the aux input on the stereo so that the TV sound can be played through the stereo, since the TV speakers are not very good. I could just install an aux input in the dash and plug in a cable when we want it, but the more elegant solution would be to have a permanently connected cable so we can just select aux input on the stereo to get the TV sound. It will probably be a pain to route the cable, though, so we'll see.

Another cool idea would be to run an HDMI cable from the stereo to the outside TV so that you can play DVDs from the Pioneer stereo if you want to watch a DVD movie outside. We almost never use the outdoor TV, though, so I probably won't bother doing this, but it would be a cool option for those that do like to watch movies outside.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:35 AM   #6

State: California
THOR #17761
Hello. Did you replace your Axxera radio? How did it work out? We just got a 31E and the turn signal annoys me and the rear camera also is blurry. Seeing how this unit worked for you?
Old 02-22-2020, 04:52 AM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv Bob View Post
Hello. Did you replace your Axxera radio? How did it work out? We just got a 31E and the turn signal annoys me and the rear camera also is blurry. Seeing how this unit worked for you?
You know a new radio won't change any of that.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #8

THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv Bob View Post

Yes, I did replace it. There is a whole thread about it and photos here:

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...nex-12449.html

This was one of the best upgrades I've done to the RV, well worth it IMO. I don't usually use the Pioneer navigation though. I found that it gives me some strange routing sometimes, so I just use Google Maps on my iPhone.

Brad
Old 07-16-2021, 04:34 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Ohio
THOR #23681
Great info! My axxera AVM70 stops displaying the turn signal camera's when I'm on the freeway. I go to turn on the radio immediately after, and the whole unit is dead.

I get to my destination and get my Coach all set up on sight, and just out of curiosity, turn on the radio and it works. Turn the key ignition on and turn signal, and camera works. STRANGE!!!

2018 Thor Hurricane 35M
Old 07-16-2021, 03:24 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Oregon
THOR #19629
I had similar issue with my 2017 coach, drove from Oregon to AZ with no stereo for 98% of the ride. Every once and a while it would turn on for a few minutes then off again.

Replaced it with an Alpine touch screen once we got back, plus better speakers, amp and sub. Shipped the Axxera radio to Thor with a letter of disappointment and never heard back.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:33 AM   #11

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
^^^^^^Thats funny
Semper Fi
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #12

Model: AXIS 25.3
THOR #20631
I wish you hadn't shipped that Axxera back to Thor. They probably just installed it in another rig!
Wandering Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:48 PM   #13

Model: 24HE
State: North Carolina
THOR #27061
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
The Axxera AVM70 stereo in my Chateau 31E continues to annoy the heck out of me. When listening to a podcast it cuts in and out all the time, even if the podcast was previously downloaded via wifi. The display flickers whenever the headlights are on. And there is the annoying muting of the audio whenever you use turn signals and it switches to the camera view. I also find the rear camera display is pretty useless in the dark or in bright light (i.e. most of the time).

I would also like to have an RV navigation system where I can enter the RV dimensions to avoid getting into bad situations where it doesn’t fit. I was considering getting a Garmin RV nav unit, but I think I'd prefer to have the nav system built into the stereo if it had the features I want. Apple Car Play would also be a nice feature to have.

So, I decided to replace the Axxera with the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX DVD/CD reciever. It used to be their flagship model and sold for about $800, but it has now been replaced with the 8201NEX (which looks the same to me), so it’s now $620 at Walmart or $645 Amazon. This seems like a good deal to get a top of the line Pioneer stereo with Car Play plus a navigation system.

Here are some highlights:
· 7” capacitive touch-screen display
· Built-in navigation system, includes free map updates. Has 7.9 million points of interest.
· Can create a navigation system profile for the RV, with vehicle dimensions and weight. Also which type of roads you want to avoid (dirt roads, toll roads, etc.)
· Receives free traffic into
· Has Apple Car Play and Android Auto

· Compatible with the existing cameras. Also has an additional camera input if you want one.

· Does not change the radio volume when switching to camera view
Want to sell your AXXERA MVM 70 to me?
Old 07-25-2022, 09:53 PM   #14

Model: 24HE
State: North Carolina
THOR #27061
Axxera avm 70

Anyone here want to sell me their WORKING unit? Mine completely failed this weekend and I just want to replace it so the harness and ports all align.

Jim
336-926-5377
Old 07-30-2022, 10:00 AM   #15

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Collins View Post
Anyone here want to sell me their WORKING unit? Mine completely failed this weekend and I just want to replace it so the harness and ports all align.

Jim
336-926-5377
I want to replace mine. My concern is with a different brand and the color coded wiring harness, you need to solder together the wires into the plug on some of them.

Querying here, someone mentioned that the color code is standard across most, if not all brands. I would surely hope so. So far, I am waiting until fall for this project, as the dash on our 2016 E450 looks challenging to remove. It's not just around the radio, that big. Wintering will give me plenty of time to tackle the task without interfering with travel plans through October.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #16

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Texas
THOR #28119
Mine is failed as well. Did you get a match or upgrade?
Old 10-03-2022, 11:01 PM   #17

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Collins View Post

Jim
336-926-5377
Don’t waste your time installing another Axxera. Buy something better.

Installation is not hard but if you do not want to do it then hire someone to do it.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:25 PM   #18

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Question Kenwood DNX775RVS??

Han anyone replaced an AXXERA70 radio with the Kenwood DNX775RVS radio? This radio looks like a good choice based on the promotional materials. Before I fork over $1,500.00 I would like to hear from someone who has done the deed so to speak. Were there any gotchas? how much actual rewiring was required. Do the truck/bus routing features actually work as advertised?

I will be installing this in a 2018 Thor ACE 30.3. FWIW the AXXER70 isn't even good enough to be a boat anchor. Even without sunglasses on a cloudy day the screen it too dim to see anything without diverting attention away from the road ahead.

Dan Perra
2018 Thor ACE 30.3
2020 Jeep Gladiator towed

Thanks
Old 10-16-2022, 11:50 PM   #19

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPass58 View Post
I had similar issue with my 2017 coach, drove from Oregon to AZ with no stereo for 98% of the ride. Every once and a while it would turn on for a few minutes then off again.

Replaced it with an Alpine touch screen once we got back, plus better speakers, amp and sub. Shipped the Axxera radio to Thor with a letter of disappointment and never heard back.
Where did you get the work done? We live in Vancouver area.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:11 PM   #20

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Texas
THOR #28119
I got the Pioneer DMH-W2770NEX to replace the stock head unit. This new one supports wireless car play. It seems really nice except it does this dreaded “AMP Overloaded” message when the RV starts up.

Running in battery, it plays through all the speakers fine. I had it installed at Car Toys and they are at a loss what’s triggering the problem. All the speakers are checking out ok.

Has anyone seen this problem yet?