Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2019, 12:25 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #14024
Report on UltraPower Tuning of 6.8 V10 2- valve

I had promised to call UltraRVProducts.com and get detailed information on their UPFORD - Ford V10 Ultra Power Custom Tuning Power Upgrade. Talked to the chief tech advisor.

They confirmed that the 2-valve 6.8 V10 engine typically get 43 more horsepower and 47 ft. lbs. more torque.

the following power benefits:
  • 1997-2019 2v V10 Gains of 43 HP and 47 ft-lb Torque
  • 2006-2015 3v V10 Gains of 52 HP and 61 ft-lb Torque
  • 2016+ 3v V10 Gains of 56 HP and 73 ft-lb Torque
  • Gains of up to 1/2 MPG (Not Guaranteed)
  • Drastically reduces annoying downshifts at slightest grade
  • Maintains speeds and higher gears longer when climbing hills

The device is the same as 5-star but he process is different. They take you VIN and you plug the device in the motorhome and they get the strategy code that Ford put into engine's control and diagnostic chip. They then email you a custom file that goes into their device through a USB cord and from the device into the engine (it comes with a cord to connect it to the diagnostic chip). Even more interesting, he mentioned that a recent customer passed CA emissions tests after doing the tuning. If you need to reset their is no period of adjustment necessary before smog.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:44 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhappel View Post
I had promised to call UltraRVProducts.com and get detailed information on their UPFORD - Ford V10 Ultra Power Custom Tuning Power Upgrade. Talked to the chief tech advisor.

They confirmed that the 2-valve 6.8 V10 engine typically get 43 more horsepower and 47 ft. lbs. more torque.

the following power benefits:
  • 1997-2019 2v V10 Gains of 43 HP and 47 ft-lb Torque
  • 2006-2015 3v V10 Gains of 52 HP and 61 ft-lb Torque
  • 2016+ 3v V10 Gains of 56 HP and 73 ft-lb Torque
  • Gains of up to 1/2 MPG (Not Guaranteed)
  • Drastically reduces annoying downshifts at slightest grade
  • Maintains speeds and higher gears longer when climbing hills

The device is the same as 5-star but he process is different. They take you VIN and you plug the device in the motorhome and they get the strategy code that Ford put into engine's control and diagnostic chip. They then email you a custom file that goes into their device through a USB cord and from the device into the engine (it comes with a cord to connect it to the diagnostic chip). Even more interesting, he mentioned that a recent customer passed CA emissions tests after doing the tuning. If you need to reset their is no period of adjustment necessary before smog.
That is the same process as 5-Star: Get the calibration # out out of the engine computer (ECU) and send that to 5-Star. They then send you a file that the programmer flashes into the ECU.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:03 AM   #3

THOR #14024
Thanks for the correction...

The tech guy said there was a difference, thanks for the correction. I noticed in the fuels discussion that 5-star sounded like they were going to give us a discount, true?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:06 AM   #4

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #12839
The 5-star tune made a night and day difference in the drivability of our 2015 ACE 29.2! As important as the power and milage (+1/2-1 consistent) was the change in shift points (up and down). In tow haul mode, it would keep speed down on hills and I used it in town and would almost never use my brakes unless coming to a complete stop.
There is a before and after video on the 5-star sight showing the difference between two Ford trucks towing the same 14k lb trailer, same grade, same day, only difference was one had tune and one didn't and it was exactly the improvement I saw on my RV!
The second best mod was the "cheep handling fix" described on the IRV2 forum. It did for the handling what the tuner did for the power.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:17 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhappel View Post
The tech guy said there was a difference, thanks for the correction. I noticed in the fuels discussion that 5-star sounded like they were going to give us a discount, true?
They are giving a discount to IRV2 members.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:26 AM   #6

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Illinois
THOR #7230
What is the cost difference between the 5 star and the Ultra rv tune? What is the irs discount?
Old 02-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #7

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
From what I have learned on these threads about the V10 tuning...
1st, I cannot explain the technical part, the parameters, differences, etc, there are others more into it that I, & respectfully so.

About the discount with 5 Star Tuning, the only folks I have experience with.
They just announced a purchase discount to members of this Thor Forums group.
However,
Prior to that announcement, someone mentioned a discount on another forum group, called: iRV2.com. (I RV too)

The website for 5 Star advertises a $549 price tag.
Using a link provided to iRV2 got the 5 Star web page locked, so I called them.
The discount is still in affect, he took my order over the phone, free shipping, at a 20% discounted price, and all I asked for was the iRV2 price of $439.

Another thread, on Thor Forums recently, the 5 Star rep stated there is now a discount for this group of folks too, if they wish.
I noticed that it was more like a 15% discount price, so the choice is yours.

This is from my own experience, I chose 5 Star, and am not saying one brand is better than any other.
I hope this sheds some light for some, have a nice day!

p.s. We also live in a no emissions testing area, so I am not worried about swapping back on a factory tune, or if this one is kosher. I just want the performance enhancement while you still can!
Old 02-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Also in my new Motorhome Magazine (March 2019 page # 69) 5 star has a "$100 coupon" on it. The 20% is a better deal but if it runs out you can try this coupon?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Please consider that while feeling and hearing downshifts may be annoying to some drivers, they may actually save fuel and be less stressful on engine. Running an engine at close to 100% torque so it doesn’t downshift is neither the most fuel efficient nor easiest on engine.

I know there are other things going on, but it’s not an obvious win-win all around. Many people think that running at lower RPMs always saves fuel but that’s not the case. Often it’s more efficient to downshift and let engine operate at faster RPMs.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
At least it's good to know that the folks running the 2-valve V-10 have options.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #11

THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Please consider that while feeling and hearing downshifts may be annoying to some drivers, they may actually save fuel and be less stressful on engine. Running an engine at close to 100% torque so it doesn’t downshift is neither the most fuel efficient nor easiest on engine.

I know there are other things going on, but it’s not an obvious win-win all around. Many people think that running at lower RPMs always saves fuel but that’s not the case. Often it’s more efficient to downshift and let engine operate at faster RPMs.
I can see your point but it does "seem" like its using more fuel efficent at a lower RPMs. If the engine is spinning faster, the intake and exhaust are sucking in and exhaling more so therefore more fuel being burnt? I dont know but it make sense.

But if you dont change your throttle positon (at Hi RPM or Low RPM) are you really using more or less fuel? Perhaps since its all computer controlled it will add more fuel as needed??

I dont know ... just a thought.... GMtech can answers these better than most of us.

I think as long as you dont bog down your engine (with an automatic it should not allow its self to "bog down" like my manual trans Jeep can) and it stays in a good torquey part of the power band I would think that would be more fuel efficient at a lower RPM.

Perhaps running at 100% peak torque at all time no matter what Rpm you will "win the race" to the finish line but be less fuel efficient??

But I think I would pick "comfort" (Less engine noise) and what I perceive as "easier on the engine" (AKA lower RPM) over MPG anytime.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Old 02-02-2019, 10:47 PM   #12

THOR #14024
2 valve performance increase

I think the most important thing about both are that one may expect a 40+ effective horse power increase from either!
Old 02-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
... And that's never a bad thing!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:43 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I can see your point but it does "seem" like its using more fuel efficent at a lower RPMs. If the engine is spinning faster, the intake and exhaust are sucking in and exhaling more so therefore more fuel being burnt? I dont know but it make sense.

.....cut.....

Your post made me smile — thanks.

You said you see my point, but then disagreed or questioned what I said as being incorrect. Which by the way is 100% OK with me. It’s a good thing.

I don’t have, and have never seen, a BSFC Map for the Ford V10, but take a look at this for another engine and see if it makes sense to you. The numbers will be different, but the general shape and principles are similar.

My previous comment may make more sense once you understand how most engines perform under different loads and speeds. If you have questions or want to discuss the technical aspects, please let me know.

The bottom line is that transmissions have gears for a reason. Ford engineers know the advantages of gear changes to vary speed and torque on engine, which is why they keep adding more gears. If they didn’t expect and want shifts, they wouldn’t be going from 6- to 10-speed.

Map below is for another older engine, not Ford V10.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37CE4BDC-9832-40ED-94DF-8A90DC0A9D48.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	15501  
Old 02-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #15

THOR #2121
This is from newer and more efficient engine, but again the principles are similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3598B418-0290-49E1-98CB-CAC3BCFEBC39.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	15502  
Old 02-04-2019, 03:39 AM   #16

THOR #12231
Quote:
Your post made me smile — thanks.

You said you see my point, but then disagreed or questioned what I said as being incorrect. Which by the way is 100% OK with me. It’s a good thing.

I don’t have, and have never seen, a BSFC Map for the Ford V10, but take a look at this for another engine and see if it makes sense to you. The numbers will be different, but the general shape and principles are similar.

My previous comment may make more sense once you understand how most engines perform under different loads and speeds. If you have questions or want to discuss the technical aspects, please let me know.

The bottom line is that transmissions have gears for a reason. Ford engineers know the advantages of gear changes to vary speed and torque on engine, which is why they keep adding more gears. If they didn’t expect and want shifts, they wouldn’t be going from 6- to 10-speed.

Map below is for another older engine, not Ford V10.
Im glad I made you smile. This RV of mine has given me a desire to learn new things RV related. So thats a good thing (I guess but my pocket book is feeling the squeeze).

I never said your were incorrect ..... Im just trying to understand "why".

I just need to do my own research on this subject when I have time.

I was just point out that it seems more fuel efficient with lower RPM's as long as the engine is not bogged down.

I think the key with the 5 star is that instead of going from 6th to 4th right away it will try 5th gear to see if it can mantain the current speeds with the given load.

Its really a happy balance of gears, TQ, load, wind resistance and LEAD FOOT.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #17

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Proof is in the drive! After first installing my 5 Star Tune 2 years ago I was still not getting engine braking downshifts (factory problem that required having ECU reflashed), called 5 Star and they sent another tune to correct the problem, no charge!

After 2 years I would not go back to the factory Tune!!! Acceleration, shifting, and believe it or not, better mpg by about 0.5. I put about 2500 miles on my coach prior to installing my Tune, difference was night and day. Worth every penny and then some!!!
Old 02-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #18

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
The RPM does not necessarily correlate to fuel consumption.

Think of it like this.
You are traveling at 55 mph.
With no down or upshifting during this exercise, you encounter a slight uphill grade, and you begin to decrease in mph.
What do you do to maintain a constant 55 mph?
You increase the fuel consumption! More pedal!
More fuel equals more power.

The same applies to large scale diesel generators, where increased RPMs, could be detrimental to the generator's windings from centrifugal force.
These engines are governed to a specific RPM and a fuel rack dispenses more fuel when a load arises maintaining a constant RPM.

I hope this helps some understand the dynamics of fuel consumption at specific rpm a little better.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:41 PM   #19

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post

......cut..... So thats a good thing (I guess but my pocket book is feeling the squeeze).

......cut......
That’s partly why I added my initial comment. People who are new to motorhomes, or trucks for that matter, may not know that these vehicles have a lot less power for their weight, and that it’s therefore necessary and completely normal for them to downshift more often when they encounter hills.

There is nothing wrong with spending money and tinkering if that brings you pleasure, but there is nothing wrong either with letting the transmission downshift as needed.

If cruising along at 2,000 RPMs in 6th gear and you encounter a hill that exceeds available torque, a downshift to 5th will bring RPMs up to 2,540 which isn’t that bad. That gear shift will reduce torque to 79% of previous (if at same horsepower) which could easily improve fuel economy going up that hill compared to staying in higher gear. BSFC Maps show it’s very likely. Best part is that by going from 2,000 to 2,540 RPMs, you gain more power than a tune at 2,000 RPMs and it’s free.

I’m not trying to discourage tuning, just pointing out that unless downshifts annoy you that badly, letting the transmission do it’s job is another option.

P.S. — Performance tests show about 10% improvement in acceleration which is indicative of maximum power gain. This is significant but I don’t personally see how it would prevent enjoying driving a motorhome. Let’s face it, the weight of rigs varies far more than 10%, so there are plenty of guys getting by with less performance even if they have installed a tune.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:54 PM   #20

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
This is from newer and more efficient engine, but again the principles are similar.

This is good and accurate advice...understanding the "torque curve" of your engine helps in performance. Driving by the tachometer and knowing the torque range will give you the best performance, best mileage and least wear-n-tear. If you change tire sizes...this will change performance. Driving "by the ear" is the worst thing you can do. As stated...the engineers program these engine and transmissions to do this for you. the more gears...the more options the engine has to work with. There are times you just need to slow down or speed up a little to "fall into the proper torque range" for conditions.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote