Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2021, 08:43 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by quantum View Post
While driving if the generator starts as we are driving and the alternator is also sending power to the house batteries. Does on source of charging - alternator/generator take over or do the two work together.

I guess I would want to assure as long as the engine is running the alternator from the cab will keep power the inverter to run it all as well as charge the house? Or do the 2 work in tandem.
First I am a little surprised that the AGS starts the generator while the chassis engine is running. I would have thought that the chassis engine's alternator would provide enough voltage to keep the AGS from turning on the generator. Maybe you should check the voltage of the chassis alternator and the turn on voltage of the AGS.

But maybe the AC powered fridge is switching on and pulling enough current through the inverter to drive the battery voltage low enough, even though the chassis alternator is charging, to trigger the AGS to start the generator.

But in any case once the AGS starts the generator, the coach's converter will probably do most of the work as its voltage profile should be higher than the chassis alternator's.

David

Old 01-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #42

State: Florida
THOR #15410
My batteries are original,jacks have been recalibrated. Fairly easy, followed directions on line.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #43

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
While driving if the generator starts as we are driving and the alternator is also sending power to the house batteries. Does on source of charging - alternator/generator take over or do the two work together.

I guess I would want to assure as long as the engine is running the alternator from the cab will keep power the inverter to run it all as well as charge the house? Or do the 2 work in tandem.
About 40% of the time, we run with the generator running. The reason is for the roof A/C. The coach gets uncomfortably hot using the only the chassis A/C when the ambient is above 75 F degrees during the day. From late June until early September daily temps are in the low 90s. What happens to the batteries is a decision made by the Intellitec module. I suspect that the charger keeps the house batteries charged and the alternator keeps the chassis battery charged.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #44

THOR #15410
We never run Genny when driving. Never needed to, dash ac works fine
Old 01-14-2021, 06:02 PM   #45

Model: 2016 class c 31w
State: California
THOR #9093
31w battery

I added another battery to have 3 pretty easy and bring my 1100 gen to run at night to charge batteries and watch tv and run frig. I can leave my frig off for quite awhile before much temp loss
Old 01-15-2021, 11:27 AM   #46

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Just an FYI - This is for those of you who post interesting comments and instructions. Change your profile from “Thor Motor Coach” to your specific model. The dash air probably cools a lot better in 24 ft class C than in a 34 ft Class A. It would be helpful to me if I could know what you own and drive. Chassis comments, tire comments, equipment comments are more meaningful to me if I know they apply to my unit.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2021, 12:36 PM   #47

THOR #15410
I have a 31w chateau 2017
Old 01-15-2021, 01:35 PM   #48
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
You seem well educated in this area. Any recommendations when it's time to replace the batteries if they do not power as long as I would like. My battery storage is under the steps coming in, I'm a class c E450. Lat thing I want for my family is to be cold because I was battery stupid....

The battery area may be able to hold 3 smaller batteries that the current ones I have. I have always thought they would be the most important investment to be comfortable when stopped. So many choices but I do not want to trust a battery shop or store trying to upsell me something I will need to again replace. Thanks in advance....You have been a good source for my power concerns.
Do you have 27s under the steps now?
Would a pair of 31s fit under there?
They might stretch your capacity by about 15%.
A small increase: but still useful...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote