Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum PD 31
State: Virginia
THOR #7506
Axxera Radio Flashing

I have a 2018 Quantum PD 31 with the Axxera Radio, the screen flashes going down the road with the radio on. When I switch to the cameras everything is fine. The dealer has replaced the radio twice and checked all wiring both times. Any ideas? I'm at my wits end with this one, my thoughts are it has to be a loose ground somewhere, but they have been checked. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:19 AM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
Check your antenna
Old 08-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #3

Model: 2016 Freedom Elite 28H
State: Florida
THOR #1929
My radio was doing the same thing. There is a reset button but it did not work. My radio screen flickered even when the back camera was on. Axxera doesn't have a very good reputation. I finally gave up and got a Kenwood Excelon 595 and everything works great even the existing camera. Fit right in the same spot in a Ford E450.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #4

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Axxera

Our Axxera developed a thin blue vertical line on the right side of the screen about an inch from the right side. Tried the reset button and it did not work. Finally decided to replace the entire unit with a Clarion that does the same things as the Axxera but also has navigation and other extras. We were able to get a HD jack that plugs into the portable Sirius Onyx receiver and a USB jack plugs into my old IPod that shows everything on the new screen. So far, so good. Not that expensive and the install by a local stereo shop was great.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #5

THOR #1929
Same thing here. Local car stereo shop.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #6

THOR #7506
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscheibel@cfl.rr.com View Post
My radio was doing the same thing. There is a reset button but it did not work. My radio screen flickered even when the back camera was on. Axxera doesn't have a very good reputation. I finally gave up and got a Kenwood Excelon 595 and everything works great even the existing camera. Fit right in the same spot in a Ford E450.

Good luck.
Does the Kenwood operate the turning cameras too and does it have dual mirroring?
Old 08-04-2018, 09:25 PM   #7

THOR #1929
I just have the rear camera. Not sure if soneone had side cameras.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:12 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 31W
State: New Hampshire
THOR #12512
RE: Axxera Radio Flashing

I have a 2018 Thor Chateau 31W that does the same thing. I mentioned it to the dealer prior to taking delivery but when they looked at it they could not make it happen. Upon driving it home I noticed it doing it again. Once I got home with the unit I played around with the radio and dash controls and found that the dash lights dimmer wheel seems to be the problem. I certain positions the radio display flickers and in other positions it doesn't. I am bringing my coach in Monday Aug. 6th for other needed work from the "We Owe" list and will have them take a look at the dash lights dimmer switch and wiring. Take a look at your's to see it rotating the dimmer wheel effects the radio display.

JohnR
Old 08-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #9

THOR #7506
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
I have a 2018 Thor Chateau 31W that does the same thing. I mentioned it to the dealer prior to taking delivery but when they looked at it they could not make it happen. Upon driving it home I noticed it doing it again. Once I got home with the unit I played around with the radio and dash controls and found that the dash lights dimmer wheel seems to be the problem. I certain positions the radio display flickers and in other positions it doesn't. I am bringing my coach in Monday Aug. 6th for other needed work from the "We Owe" list and will have them take a look at the dash lights dimmer switch and wiring. Take a look at your's to see it rotating the dimmer wheel effects the radio display.

JohnR
I videoed mine with my iPhone as I drove to the dealer, I had the same situation where it would not do it in front of the tech. Now they believe me. I'll check the dimmer and antenna.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:23 AM   #10

Model: chateau 29G
State: South Carolina
THOR #12638
just bought a brand new chateau 29G last week..same thing with the radio lights flashing..some say its just with the headlights on..others say its the dimmer switch..going to try both these things tomorrow..either way it should not happen at all!!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:49 AM   #11

THOR #7506
Flashig Axxera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstar57 View Post
just bought a brand new chateau 29G last week..same thing with the radio lights flashing..some say its just with the headlights on..others say its the dimmer switch..going to try both these things tomorrow..either way it should not happen at all!!
Just came back from a weekend trip, YEP it seems to happen when I turn on the headlights. Any clue on fixing???
Old 08-14-2018, 01:46 AM   #12

Model: chateau 29G
State: South Carolina
THOR #12638
Turned dashboard lights dimmer to full and radio did not flash..even with headlights on..thanks for the tip !!
Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 AM   #13

Model: 2018 four winds 31 w
State: Texas
THOR #10089
Flashing Axxera

I solved this problem by turning up my panel lights to the highest level
Haven’t had a problem since
Old 10-30-2019, 11:28 PM   #14

THOR #17202
My brand new 2020 four winds 28a is doing it today. The dash dimmer switch seems to help it stop. These radios are some cheap garbage. I will be replacing soon.