Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2022, 07:17 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Running heat while on the road?

While traveling in cold weather do you run your coach heat? In my case I think I may need to because the fresh, gray and black tanks depend on the heat from the heating ducts to prevent freezing.

If you do not run the heat why not?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 07:55 PM   #2

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
As far as being a known safety issue I've not found a definitive answer either way. Forums, blogs, an RV insurance person etc, will say Yes, No, Depends. There have been heater fires while driving but probably more while parked since that is the majority of usage.

We don't drive with propane on. Why? Basically I'm a worry wort!! Just too much movement with an open flame and wind moving around the heater. I know that many do keep propane heat on and have never had a problem.
Old 12-13-2022, 09:17 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If it's that cold when driving I would probably run the generator and use my electric heaters saving the propane for when I'm parked.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:28 PM   #4

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
As far as being a known safety issue I've not found a definitive answer either way. Forums, blogs, an RV insurance person etc, will say Yes, No, Depends. There have been heater fires while driving but probably more while parked since that is the majority of usage.

We don't drive with propane on. Why? Basically I'm a worry wort!! Just too much movement with an open flame and wind moving around the heater. I know that many do keep propane heat on and have never had a problem.
You don't drive with the propane on? Do you have a residential fridge in your 24.1? Or a 12-volt fridge? If not, how do you keep your absorption fridge cold? Run the genset?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:43 PM   #5

State: Florida
THOR #28565
If you weren't supposed to use it in transit, it would be in the owner's manual in BIG BOLD PRINT, and most likely have a lockout to prevent you from attempting it.

I've run propane for absorption fridges for years in motorhomes, and a travel trailer. If we need more heat, I have no hesitation using our furnace while driving.
Old 12-13-2022, 11:45 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
I have a 24.1, never tried water heater or furnace on road. But, I have had both trip out in gusty winds (thunderstorms). Running gen for heat or hot water may be a better option when underway.

I keep propane on except when refilling tank.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:39 AM   #7

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
If it's that cold when driving I would probably run the generator and use my electric heaters saving the propane for when I'm parked.
Not all of us have the luxury of heat pump electric heaters, if I had the option of electric heat, I probably would not have asked the question. I was mainly concerned about keeping the plumbing from freezing. The tanks are kept warm by the heating system because of this there are no tank heaters. If the weather is cold enough the plumbing could freeze.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:08 AM   #8

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
i have run with propane heater on and the heat pumps
didnt have a problem, except my dash heat was not enough to keep the piggies warm
Old 12-14-2022, 03:45 AM   #9
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Not all of us have the luxury of heat pump electric heaters, if I had the option of electric heat, I probably would not have asked the question. I was mainly concerned about keeping the plumbing from freezing. The tanks are kept warm by the heating system because of this there are no tank heaters. If the weather is cold enough the plumbing could freeze.
Are the tanks heated through storage compartments or inside the coach? I’ve owned both types of setups. If storage compartments, insulation becomes an issue because the cold air from driving could negate any benefit from using the heater in none or poorly insulated compartments.

In our prior rig I ran with the furnace on because of the tanks in compartments. With heat pumps the heat comes through the AC vents and not the furnace registers so the compartments wouldn’t get warm. Also, heat pumps are not effective below 40 degrees anyway.
Old 12-15-2022, 07:19 PM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
The few a few times that I've had to drive with the furnace running were not a problem. However, our cabin heat provides plenty of warmth under most conditions.
Old 12-15-2022, 08:25 PM   #11

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Are the tanks heated through storage compartments or inside the coach? I’ve owned both types of setups. If storage compartments, insulation becomes an issue because the cold air from driving could negate any benefit from using the heater in none or poorly insulated compartments.

In our prior rig I ran with the furnace on because of the tanks in compartments. With heat pumps the heat comes through the AC vents and not the furnace registers so the compartments wouldn’t get warm. Also, heat pumps are not effective below 40 degrees anyway.
I just checked, turned on the heat when I opened the Compartment under the Fresh water tank, and it was warm.

Old 12-16-2022, 03:49 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
While traveling in cold weather do you run your coach heat? In my case I think I may need to because the fresh, gray and black tanks depend on the heat from the heating ducts to prevent freezing.

If you do not run the heat why not?
I have never run my propane heater (furnace) when driving. Coldest I can recall driving was 19 degrees outside, but nothing froze. We were warm in our seats; so that was all I cared about.

My propane valve on my tank is always opened. We use to run the propane fridge all the time while driving, but I added the Norcold to the Inverter circuit; so it is always on; but running off electric being aided by the alternator.

FWIW, that 19 degree temp was kind of unexpected. If I am driving where I know it may reasonably drop below 20, I will take 45 minutes and drain all my tanks and blow air in fresh water line and drive with no worries.

I don't get deep into the safety argument, but I will say I rather not have to use any propane while driving than needing to run propane. I have had no issues either way, but common sense says to avoid if possible. I suspect that there is some freezing temperature where I would turn that furnace on without hesitation. But it is not at 19 degrees.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #13

Model: Palazzo
State: Connecticut
THOR #27397
I was at the service department yesterday and asked this specific question. They said absolutely no issues running the propane furnace while driving. Used it driving home!
Old 12-16-2022, 02:54 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
I was at the service department yesterday and asked this specific question. They said absolutely no issues running the propane furnace while driving. Used it driving home!
It is true no issues, and one can do so as that is the way they are designed. However the basis for why some don't or prefer not to is the over worry about what could happen during an accident or some other unforeseen circumstance.

At the end of the day, if I am cold, I going to turn my furnace on, but not likely to heat up holding tanks. Truth be told, if it is cold enough outside to actually freeze my tanks while driving, it is probably too cold inside the RV anyway.

Rewiring my Norcold to run off Inverter was best thing, because I never encounter this scenario of propane or not while driving anymore.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 04:56 PM   #15

Model: Palazzo
State: Connecticut
THOR #27397
My to-do for this weekend is to actually add heat to the wet bay. On my unit where the furnace is located is above the wet bay and that area is open. I can only assume Thor thought the heat from the furnace would migrate to the wet bay to provide some protection. I am adding a tee to the ductwork and I am goin to run some ductwork into the wet bay. This way as I travel in the cold, running my furnace, I should have no concerns about any freeze ups.

Mike
Old 12-16-2022, 05:09 PM   #16

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Before this post becomes a typical cat-fight of know-it-all opinions...Post #2 and #3 are your best, most direct answers. 65 MPH drafts on a flame are not good and the furnace will burn through propane faster than the engine will burn through fuel. Save the propane for camping. Some have installed blanket type barriers hanging just behind the forward seats to keep the chassis heat all up front. Other run generators and electric heaters but you risk the possibility of them getting tipped over. While they have safety "tip switches" on them, they will still lay over at high temps...enough to ruin your floor or whatever else it tips onto.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 06:23 PM   #17

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
The coldest I've ever used an RV was when it got down to 10°F. We had no problems because Diesel pusher had thermal pane windows, heavy drapes, and effective furnace, and two heat pumps on the roof. It also had a heated basement. But with the Windsport I would be concerned at that temperature. When we make day trips with the Windsport and it is below freezing, there is no water in the holding tank or lines but we still can use the toilet, which we flush with RV antifreeze. We carry water for drinking and dishes and also use RV antifreeze in the gray water tank. It doesn't take a lot of RV antifreeze to prevent the contents of the tank from freezing. And we dump when we get home.
Old 12-16-2022, 08:34 PM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Same here.
I may try the inverter with electric heater since battery is charging while driving
Old 12-16-2022, 10:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Same here.
I may try the inverter with electric heater since battery is charging while driving
Sure way to burn out your alternator. 1500 watts at 13 VDC is 115 DC amps on top of normal alternator loads.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:51 PM   #20

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
On average it takes a gallon of water 4 hours to freeze at 32F. That’s in a freezer with no movement. You’ll probably have more volume than that in your tanks and the volume is in motion. The risk of freezing a holding tank while driving is fairly low in those conditions. If in doubt then add some anti-freeze to the tanks.

I personally would not risk running the propane or an electric heater while driving.