Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2020, 04:32 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #8323
Direct Tv

Probably a dumb question, but here goes-
When we purchased our motor home we paid for a direct tv satellite dish on top of the unit. Also purchased 2 receivers for two Tv’s inside the RV. Do we have to have or pay for a direct tv account in order for them to work? Shouldn’t we be able to watch tv with Hoyt any more expenses?

Old 11-22-2020, 06:31 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Mike View Post
When we purchased our motor home we paid for a direct tv satellite dish on top of the unit. Also purchased 2 receivers for two Tv’s inside the RV. Do we have to have or pay for a direct tv account in order for them to work? Shouldn’t we be able to watch tv with Hoyt any more expenses?
You need to buy direct tv
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
State: Florida
THOR #15553
You need to buy a Direct TV programming Package and know that getting local stations where you are will be a real PITA.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Yes to have to pay for an account.

No you shouldn't be able to watch tv without additional expense unless you use the over the air antenna and watch. whatever is free.

Did you pay for that option to be added or was it already installed on the coach we you bought it. If the former the dealer should have disclosed the subscription requirement. If the latter they are not required to tell you everything and may have thought you knew about the satellite.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #5

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
If you're able to switch to DirecTV at home as well the extra package works well and is the best for several locations

Locals at one
Old 11-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #6

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
You need to buy a Direct TV programming Package and know that getting local stations where you are will be a real PITA.
I'm going off topic only because the op hot his answer

I've seen the topic about local channels bring a pain, having to call dtv etc. Who watches local channels and who cares. I guess local news or weather. I never watch local at home

I guess I dont understand the need for local

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I'm going off topic only because the op hot his answer

I've seen the topic about local channels bring a pain, having to call dtv etc. Who watches local channels and who cares. I guess local news or weather. I never watch local at home

I guess I dont understand the need for local

Jerry
Were like you are now. With the net we keep tabs on the local news and would rather watch the local news for where we are

So hey we are both swimming upstream apparently and loving it
Old 11-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #8

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Switch to DISH at home. You can get a two year deal for $95/mo with Hopper3 & Joey.
Then add a Wally for $7/mo in your RV
The total package will be $102/mo
It’s currently the best way to go

Then re-assess in two years (when DISH increases your monthly by $20/mo or more)
Old 11-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Any modern DirecTV receiver (H-25 SWM) should be able to receive two separate channels at the same time and distribute them over coax. Basic channel package is $65 for 160+ channels and the Ultimate package is $85 for 250+ channels. The signals for those channels are in the same galaxy and do not require moving the dish.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:14 AM   #10

Model: Venetian M37
THOR #10920
Direct TV and other

Good question

Simple answer, you must have a subscription service.

For Satellite service you need three things:
1. A “satellite antenna” that is compatible with the desired service provider e.g. Dish or DiectTV. Most antennas do NOT support multiple services. It’s either or, not both.
2. A “receiver” that is compatible with the satellite antenna. The antenna provider has a list of receivers that are compatible with their antennas.
3. A “subscription service”, either Dish or Direct TV. Dish offers a monthly non-prorated service. DirectTV, unless recently changed, offers only a contact with a minimum time period. If you have a home subscription service , you might be able to add the receivers to that service.

The receiver(s) MUST be registered with the “satellite service”. That’s how the satellite service knows your are the registered subscriber. (Think paying your bill).

Once you have all of the above you are almost ready to go. Startup and align your antenna.... many are automatic. Turn on your receiver. And TV. Go through the receiver to satellite refresh process. Enjoy you TV.

If you are outside your local service area (think billing address). you will not get local TV. This has to do with FCC regulations and your friendly TV broadcast networks. It’s all about advertising $$$ in the local area where you happen to be RVing. Call your congressman and ask him why you have to put up with this nonsense.

Have fun in the road.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:11 AM   #11
MLP

THOR #17478
For local channels we use the antenna or park cable. If you do not use the receivers for a few months they will have to be reset. I simply log onto my Direct TV account, got to my equipment, and reset the receiver(s).
Old 11-29-2020, 04:21 AM   #12

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
We have Direct on our RV but we do not pay extra for that service. Since we have Direct at our sticks and brick home. We simply disconnect the power, coax, and HDMI from the home receiver and put the receiver on the RV. Very simple and takes less than five minutes. No extra charges and no need to contact Direct if you can do without local channels in your RV
Old 11-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #16797
2nd Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Switch to DISH at home. You can get a two year deal for $95/mo with Hopper3 & Joey.
Then add a Wally for $7/mo in your RV
The total package will be $102/mo
It’s currently the best way to go

Then re-assess in two years (when DISH increases your monthly by $20/mo or more)
What I'm thinking is to get a 2nd Hopper 3 with a wireless Joey - It will give me so much more benefits - Bout $15.00 a month for both.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #14

Model: Outlaw
THOR #19638
Can I hook my direct tv sat antenna to my cable connection on RV and then hook up to direct tv Receiver box inside RV
Old 12-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btscoop View Post
Can I hook my direct tv sat antenna to my cable connection on RV and then hook up to direct tv Receiver box inside RV
Depends on how the factory wired the RV. If you have more than one TV set, then probably, no. All satellite antennas (dishes) require a home run coax from the antenna to the receiver. Most RV manufactures put a coax splitter in the coax run. This splitter will not pass the DC current needed to power the LNB on the antenna. If you replace the splitter with a green label splitter, then the red terminal will pass the DC current. The splitter is usually found just behind the terrestrial antenna power switch panel. Solid Signal has the splitters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPLIT4MRV_1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	27525  
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:31 PM   #16

THOR #19638
Thanks for the info will have to look for splitter
Old 12-07-2020, 05:32 PM   #17

THOR #19638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Depends on how the factory wired the RV. If you have more than one TV set, then probably, no. All satellite antennas (dishes) require a home run coax from the antenna to the receiver. Most RV manufactures put a coax splitter in the coax run. This splitter will not pass the DC current needed to power the LNB on the antenna. If you replace the splitter with a green label splitter, then the red terminal will pass the DC current. The splitter is usually found just behind the terrestrial antenna power switch panel. Solid Signal has the splitters
Thanks,good to know about splitter