Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: New York
THOR #3187
Satellite Antennas

Can someone explain to me how satellite works? You install the unit on your RV and they do you have to pay for service? I am wondering the best method to get TV when there is no cable hookup.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
We have Dish at the house,I have a tailgater for the camper. We piggy back the service with the house at 7.00 a month. DW is a sports nut
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 31L
State: Louisiana
THOR #2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegolfgirl View Post
Can someone explain to me how satellite works? You install the unit on your RV and they do you have to pay for service? I am wondering the best method to get TV when there is no cable hookup.
Yes, it's a pay service. Price depends on which of several available channel packages you choose. Just visit the web sites for information.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:23 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Depending on where you are - you may be able to get a good number of channels over the air - with just your roof tv antenna... The standard antennas are directional - so pointing them toward the source helps.

If you have a satellite TV subscription at home - adding a dish for your RV may be practical (fenn had a good deal there...) - but do need the clear line of sight in the direction of the satellite.

Otherwise I haven't found a reasonable (to me) alternative. Might be some out there that others can point to.

(I can't use satellite at home - line of sight has too many trees when they came out to look this past spring.)
Old 01-31-2016, 02:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Yes, it is a pay service.

One or both of the Satellite providers have RV only plans that allow you to subscribe on a monthly basis without having it at home or a connect/disconnect fee.

You basically have to buy a satellite receiver, a dish antenna (either fixed mount or portable) and a subscription as to what channel lineup you desire.

The more expensive dish antennas can track the satellites across the sky as you drive so your passengers can watch TV as you travel.

The less expensive dish antennas are not automatic tracking, and you need to be stationary when using them.

We're thinking of doing this next season as like gmc, we have too many trees behind our house to get reception; we would need a RV only plan.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
We had the Dish pay as you go plan for RV but found it too expensive. Seemed like a good deal except the channels we were getting we're things we didn't want to watch. We switched to Dish at home and now only pay the $7 per month as mentioned by fenn
Old 01-31-2016, 11:43 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
I have DirecTV service at home and bought a Winegard carryout several years ago. I've used it on 3 different RV's and it seems to work fine. I have to bring two receivers from home - but if I wasn't home they wouldn't be used anyway! Both receivers are non-HD because the Winegard is non-HD - but with the quality of today's TV's - I can't tell the difference. My DirecTV package is the same price for me, at home or in the RV, however I can suspend the service on the two non-HD receivers when they're not in use. Saves me $7.50 a month each!
Old 02-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #8

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1505
We like others have Dish Network at the house. This provides TV in the RV at no additional cost. When traveling, I take the DVR receiver from the bedroom. We have all our channels (note: local channels will not work after a given distance, FCC regulations.) and can record one show while watching another. With the four TVs in our KT, I wired so we can have three differant programs going at the same time. One TV over the air. I can set up the dish on a tripod and aim in about 6 minutes.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I have Dish so far my 211 receiver failed to work after six months. Dish mailed out a new receiver. and so far it is frozen on a 2 of 5 guide downloads. will not advance further. Dish said they could send somebody out that day. Well not soon enough we headed out for the desert. Not going to wait for a tech who might not show up. and to top it off charge me 10 dollars. But most of the time I have to call the Dish Customer Service so they can send a signal to my receiver. It's almost not even worth it.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
Update on the 211K receiver. Found the problem. Dish never activated my new receiver. This is after calling and talking to four of their wonderful technicians.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:50 PM   #11

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikoriko View Post
Update on the 211K receiver. Found the problem. Dish never activated my new receiver. This is after calling and talking to four of their wonderful technicians.
In my experience with Dish Customer Support this would seem to be unusual. I have had nothing but good luck with Dish. They are very courteous and although it is overseas support I have never had a problem understanding them. In general, the only problem I have is that a receiver will become "unauthorized" after 30 days. A simple call and they send a signal and all is good. Unlike most support calls where they can't wait to get rid of you, the Dish techs have always hung on the line after send the activation signal to verify that is the issue.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
The major problem with Dish is; if you don't turn that receiver on at least once every 29-30 days, it will not update its program guide and will think it's not an active machine. Once this happens the box stops working, which means you have to call their customer service and climb through their phone tree, usually 4-5 different people, before you finally talk with the right person who can re-activate it. This was one of the main reasons I switched over to Direct.

Not to mention the programming was not as good! Sunday ticket and college football are hard to beat on Direct.

I have the Winegard Travl'r. Also found a used carryout 2 for $100. If the travel' is blocked by trees, I can simply position the carryout clear of the trees and plug it in.

Works great!!
Old 02-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #13

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
We use the Winegard Trav'ler SK-SWM3 on our RV along with the DirecTV Genie and mini-Genie receivers. We bought and installed the Winegard. DirecTV came out (finally - another long story) and installed and activated the HD Genie receivers. DirecTV insisted on installing the receivers - they would not just ship them out for me to install even though the RV was pre-wired. The Genie and mini-Genie are just 2 more mirrored receivers on our home DirecTV account and are billed accordingly. Billing amount depends on the channel package you select as well as any additional services.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
In my experience with Dish Customer Support this would seem to be unusual. I have had nothing but good luck with Dish. They are very courteous and although it is overseas support I have never had a problem understanding them. In general, the only problem I have is that a receiver will become "unauthorized" after 30 days. A simple call and they send a signal and all is good. Unlike most support calls where they can't wait to get rid of you, the Dish techs have always hung on the line after send the activation signal to verify that is the issue.
I agree. If we are not going out for a while I just bring it home and set up there for a night and get all of the updates. For me their customer service has been great. Tho when I first got it I had to take ot a local office where they programed it for me while we waited,
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #15

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
The major problem with Dish is; if you don't turn that receiver on at least once every 29-30 days, it will not update its program guide and will think it's not an active machine. Once this happens the box stops working, which means you have to call their customer service and climb through their phone tree, usually 4-5 different people, before you finally talk with the right person who can re-activate it. This was one of the main reasons I switched over to Direct.

Not to mention the programming was not as good! Sunday ticket and college football are hard to beat on Direct.

I have the Winegard Travl'r. Also found a used carryout 2 for $100. If the travel' is blocked by trees, I can simply position the carryout clear of the trees and plug it in.

Works great!!

I've never had to talk to more than one person. The first person I have tales to each time was able help me with the deactivation. I've not used Direct in over 14 years so I cannot comment on them.