Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum RS26
State: Arizona
THOR #6335
Satellite tv

So we are looking at purchasing the dish tailgater 3 for the rv would love to hear from others that have gone this route pros and cons
Thank you

Old 06-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Have the roof mounted winegard direct tv SWM traveler. Had it on former coach for 4 years or so, had one put on the Gemini. IMO its the best way to go, just push a button once parked, it deploys finds and locks onto the 3 necessary satellites automatically.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
I have the dish tailgater. First dish I've ever owned and it works great. Spent a few weeks in Cudejoe key and no problems at all. Only problem with roof mounted is if your campsite is in the trees.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:21 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
If trees block your line of sight to the satellite, yes its a problem, but some sites we can just park at a different angle, and every park we have been to, if you ask for a satellite friendly site has always accommodated us.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:37 PM   #5

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
We have went with the Wineguard Travler DirectTV roof mounted on all three of our RV's. If you want HD and a dish to automatically locate satellite signals then for Direct it is about the only roof mount you can have. They have always worked well for us. Currently we have DirectTV at home so we simply take one receiver with us in the MH.

We have never been in a CG where we could not get a signal due to trees, but we ask in advance also. Some call and have location changed so you can get local channels, we don't do that anymore. We just use our antenna for local broadcasting.

There are some cheaper options out there if you go with Dish instead of DirectTV or if you don't need HD, or permanent mounting.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:42 PM   #6

Model: 2015 Hurricane 32n
State: Georgia
THOR #2983
We have the Tailgater and it functions well. It is nice to be able to park in the shade and put the antenna where it can see the satellites. But, with the dish down near ground level instead of the roof, it is more susceptible to being blocked by bushes, the RV next door, etc. We had the Winegard Traveler on out last coach when we full-timed. It was great but we couldn't justify the cost for the occasional use on our latest coach.

Having said all that, I hate the Dish VP-411 receiver. The user interface is crude, seems like 1990s technology and often I have to restart it several times to get it to properly start up. (That may just be my unit.). With Dish your receiver won't get your subscribed channels if it has not been connected for few weeks. You need to call customer support today get it enabled.

In short, the Wingard Traveler with DirecTv is the best combo for HDTV, but the only way to get HDTV cheaply is Dish unless you want to setup a tripod and aim the antenna yourself.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 35.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #2831
We have the Winegard X2 portable. Never had a problem, even in trees. We use the Dish Pay as You Go plan. Will be getting a 2nd receiver for either the bedroom or outside TV.
BlueOx tow system
bandorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 23U
THOR #1490
We have the 211 receiver, and a portable tailgater. move it out of the shade. when not camping we keep it in the garage, and use it there. Sometimes we get only a few local channels. Maybe it has to do with only seeing only one satellite?? Got that error message a few times.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #9

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
I just got the Dish Playmaker with wally. I have Dish at home so the $7/mo was a quick and easy decision.

I hope to be able to bypass the OTA antenna amplifier and use the campground cable input wiring to my "electronics bay". Should be able to use the coax to the wally, HDMI to the HDMI distribution box, and then access the same channel on every TV. The only limitation I can see is not being able to use the Blueray player on one TV while watching Dish programming on another TV.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #8876
Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
I just got the Dish Playmaker with wally. I have Dish at home so the $7/mo was a quick and easy decision.

I hope to be able to bypass the OTA antenna amplifier and use the campground cable input wiring to my "electronics bay". Should be able to use the coax to the wally, HDMI to the HDMI distribution box, and then access the same channel on every TV. The only limitation I can see is not being able to use the Blueray player on one TV while watching Dish programming on another TV.
Have you tried this yet? I have the same RV and have ordered the same dish from Amazon.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
THOR #5645
Lots of threads on this but most agree that you can't use the one (really short-sighted of THOR - I know they're trying to save money but come on!) cable input to run your satellite dish without doing some modifications. Were you successful?
After looking at all the posts here and other places it seems easier just to add a satellite connection. My project for this week is to add a satellite outlet (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) by the door and go straight up behind the valance to the electronics above the couch in my Windsport.
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 06:52 PM   #12

Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Illinois
THOR #4618
Sounds like you're doing what I am trying to do. So you can just take one of the receives from your house and plug it in to the Winegard? Did you have to do anything with DirectTV (prefer to not get them involved).

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #13

THOR #5645
I'm DISH and have a King Tailgater. Since I have DISH in the house already I got the Tailgater with Wally receiver. I added the Wally to my account for $7 a month and I can see what I see at home, even the local channels so far. I hate to haul stuff back and forth to the MH so this works for me.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:42 AM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSCAPOD View Post
Sounds like you're doing what I am trying to do. So you can just take one of the receives from your house and plug it in to the Winegard? Did you have to do anything with DirectTV (prefer to not get them involved).

Thanks!
Yes, you can use a receiver from home (assuming that it is compatible with your Winegard dish). If you are outside your home area (spot beam), you will not receive your home's local channels without calling DirecTV and telling them where you are. I pay the $7 per month for an additional receiver and then keep it in my camper permanently. I don't worry about losing the local channels when I am out of my "spot beam" area, and just switch over to the antenna when I want to view the local channels. DirecTV told me that they are fine with using a receiver in an RV, so long as you are not using their service at 2 locations simultaneously (i.e., you are not supposed to using it at home and in your RV at the same time).
Old 05-31-2018, 03:41 AM   #15

Model: ACE
State: Georgia
THOR #9143
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
I'm DISH and have a King Tailgater. Since I have DISH in the house already I got the Tailgater with Wally receiver. I added the Wally to my account for $7 a month and I can see what I see at home, even the local channels so far. I hate to haul stuff back and forth to the MH so this works for me.
Same set up for us. However, I've only used it from the back of the property where the unit is stored when not in use towards the end of the year. We bought the wally (2) and I must have spent 2 hours moving the ant all around looking for it to locate the sat's. Once I decided to call for help the tech I talked with had me add the Sat app on my cell. It's called SatFinder Lite. This app will show you all sat's in the sky so you can point in the correct direction. Or better yet, locate the ant to ensure it has a clear spot in the trees to see the needed sat's if you have tree coverage. Looking fwd to using the sat a bit more in the next week or so.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #16

THOR #5645
RE: My May 1st post
Install went well. I put the connector (from Amazon which matches the THOR cable connector on the driver's side) between the door and the box to the door's (facing it) right. Then went up thru the floor under the couch, up the wall behind the right-side (facing it) couch arm, then up to the vertical window valance. Only about a foot of small diameter raceway shows between the couch arm and the valance. Then from there up into the cabinet above the couch where the electronics are. Took a while to get past the "can't find satellite" and "can only find one satellite" messages but finally got it all working.

In keeping with THOR's corner-cutting philosophy, the 4X2 HDMI switch is not very impressive. The Wally won't wake up the switch so I have to turn the Blu-ray player on/off to make it register an input. After that it works fine. Anyone have any recommendations for a good economical 4X2 switch?
Old 06-18-2018, 12:16 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: Texas
THOR #618
I have a older model Carry Out, I have been very happy with it. I set it out hook it up and it finds all three Dish satellites with out any problem. I'm sure the newer model work as well or better,
Old 06-18-2018, 12:23 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post
In keeping with THOR's corner-cutting philosophy, the 4X2 HDMI switch is not very impressive. The Wally won't wake up the switch so I have to turn the Blu-ray player on/off to make it register an input. After that it works fine. Anyone have any recommendations for a good economical 4X2 switch?
Thought I posted this earlier but don't see it...

Here is what we replaced our HDMI switch with and are VERY happy with it. Now the Entertainment Center is truly an Entertainment Center! Any input can go to any TV simultaneously!

https://www.amazon.com/AVENK-Matrix-...x+switch&psc=1
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote