Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2017, 03:50 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Stove burner flame yellow - propane problem? impact on fridge?

We recently spent 2 nights at a local beach park, and noticed that the flames on the burners of the stove were yellowish or orange, which they never had been before. I had refilled the propane at a new location - a place that I suspect doesn't sell a lot of propane - and the kid didn't look like he knew exactly what he was doing...

I see that this color usually indicates the mixture is too rich - not enough air - and the recommendations are to adjust the mixture at the stove. But given that this hasn't happened before - could the propane be bad? Could the kid have filled up the tank improperly, in a way that could cause this? I'm not too worried about lasting damage to the stove - maybe I should be? - but I am more concerned about possible damage to the fridge...

I would be willing just to waste the propane and then refill at the place I usually use - but is there a safe way to do this? Without polluting too much? This is a Thor Siesta, 24' class C, one year old, with a single propane tank built into one of the storage bays...

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions appreciated!
Dan

Old 08-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
It'll be okay, probably just needs adjustment. Lift up the range cover to expose the gas tubing, there is a little slotted piece on the tubing that is adjustable. Loosen the screw and adjust until you get a nice blue flame. Sometimes the slotted piece is either not tight or worked loose from traveling. Changes in altitude can affect the flame but it won't hurt anything.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:35 AM   #3

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #8180
So it's oxygen deficient...did something spill on the stove and plug an air vent? The yellow flame means incomplete combustion and carbonmonoxide is being produced.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:24 AM   #4

THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
So it's oxygen deficient...did something spill on the stove and plug an air vent? The yellow flame means incomplete combustion and carbonmonoxide is being produced.
not aware of any spills, but anything is possible. Will check next time I "visit" the rv :-)

Thanks
Dan
Old 08-08-2017, 03:25 AM   #5

THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
It'll be okay, probably just needs adjustment. Lift up the range cover to expose the gas tubing, there is a little slotted piece on the tubing that is adjustable. Loosen the screw and adjust until you get a nice blue flame. Sometimes the slotted piece is either not tight or worked loose from traveling. Changes in altitude can affect the flame but it won't hurt anything.
I'll check it out in the next couple of days. I was probably overthinking this..

D