Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2017, 03:55 AM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #9119
Seiki QAM converters and Park Cable

We are currently parked at a FL coast RV resort and could not get our Seiki TV to read the provided cable channels.
After many tries and reading up on other forums we came to the conclusion our TV must not have a QAM converter; so off to Walmart.
$40 later I hooked up the new QAM converter. To my surprise still nothing... then I remembered when we got our new cable installed the tech had to change out our wall coax receptacles (something about new digital signals). So I went outside to the cable box and just bypassed the coax box and plugged straight into the black line. Boom! 100 channels. No QAM converter needed. Now we just need RV parks to upgrade their components.
Hope this might help some others out there mad at Thor using Seiki TVs.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViners View Post
We are currently parked at a FL coast RV resort and could not get our Seiki TV to read the provided cable channels.
After many tries and reading up on other forums we came to the conclusion our TV must not have a QAM converter; so off to Walmart.
$40 later I hooked up the new QAM converter. To my surprise still nothing... then I remembered when we got our new cable installed the tech had to change out our wall coax receptacles (something about new digital signals). So I went outside to the cable box and just bypassed the coax box and plugged straight into the black line. Boom! 100 channels. No QAM converter needed. Now we just need RV parks to upgrade their components.
Hope this might help some others out there mad at Thor using Seiki TVs.
That makes no sense. Changing splitters and amplifiers - yes. But not receptacles as they are nothing more that a male-to-male connector:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
'Cable' companies will often change the coax fittings from the picture in previous post... The connector on the end of the cable that is often cheap and poorly connected. More to avoid any chance of issues later to me. Never seen them change the barrel connector.

Not sure what exactly you bypassed. Certainly wouldn't be the first campground with a bad connector. My MH has a bad line from rear recepticle to switch box I bypass... Easier than tearing out walls to replace.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #4

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
I too am not sure what you bypassed, but would like to try it, if its something I can get to. I know folks that have changed out their Seiki sets for Panasonic or Samsung and get all cable channels as a result, which sure seems to indicate its the Seiki's. I have done nothing as yet, as 99% of TV we watch is satellite and the Seiki's are fine with that.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I too am not sure what you bypassed, but would like to try it, if its something I can get to. I know folks that have changed out their Seiki sets for Panasonic or Samsung and get all cable channels as a result, which sure seems to indicate its the Seiki's. I have done nothing as yet, as 99% of TV we watch is satellite and the Seiki's are fine with that.
Seiki's definitely had an issue with not having a QAM tuner for a while there... The newer Seiki's are supposed to now have the tuner built in... but I'm sure for the next 10 years or so they will be lumped into the 'no QAM' bucket...
(and no idea when Thor will find some older ones in the warehouse and use them up ...)

Worth checking before spending money on converters or replacements...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: New York
THOR #5875
Sounds like you might just need to turn off the antenna amplifier on the jack in the coach...
Old 10-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #7

State: Alaska
THOR #6879
My Seiki works fine on RV park cable but not on antenna even with the power booster on. So I'm installing a new antenna king antenna getting rid of the bat wing antenna (now off to the bat cave)(2016)
Old 10-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Colorado
THOR #7174
Just switched out two of ours one more to go. First one was one we already had. Seconds was a$150 Walmart special. Both smart TVs.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
Lin

Model: Palazzo
State: Arkansas
THOR #7667
That was probably more a situation of the connector being damaged - I find damaged connectors all the time in RV Parks. Folks in a hurry rarely take care of other folks property.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #10

State: California
THOR #5999
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnyfolks View Post
Sounds like you might just need to turn off the antenna amplifier on the jack in the coach...
We just bought our new coach. After many attempts to get cable, the maintenance worker came over and realized our booster (not labeled) was on. Once he turned it off and we ran auto scan, the TVs work like a dream.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:21 PM   #11

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
You can get the Seiki TVs to work on cable but, for over the air you still won’t get as many channels. With my coach sitting in the driveway I did an auto scan and got about 12 over the air channels. After changing to a digital Samsung I got over 30 over the air channels.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
You can get the Seiki TVs to work on cable but, for over the air you still won’t get as many channels. With my coach sitting in the driveway I did an auto scan and got about 12 over the air channels. After changing to a digital Samsung I got over 30 over the air channels.
Why would that be? Is it just because the Samsung has better electronics hidden in it's belly?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 04:39 AM   #13

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Why would that be? Is it just because the Samsung has better electronics hidden in it's belly?
It’s because the Seiki has an analog tuner and the Samsung has a digital tuner and picks up channels like 22, 22-1, 22-2, and so on. An analog tuner just can’t get those other channels.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That is soooooo... 1950s!
Old 11-26-2017, 02:30 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37 LX
THOR #7853
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
.. but I'm sure for the next 10 years or so they will be lumped into the 'no QAM' bucket...
(and no idea when Thor will find some older ones in the warehouse and use them up ...)
Our 2017 Challenger had 2 TV's that would find cable channels and one TV in our bedroom that would not get cable channels. I also noticed that it was a different model number than the 32" outside TV that would receive cable channels. Took the bedroom TV off the bracket and discovered that the TV was built in Aug 2015 !! Dealer contacted Thor and they sent us an Axxera replacement TV. We haven't tried it for cable yet but will know what's up when we go to Fort Wilderness in a couple weeks. [emoji41]

<'))))>(
RV Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #16
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
It’s because the Seiki has an analog tuner and the Samsung has a digital tuner and picks up channels like 22, 22-1, 22-2, and so on. An analog tuner just can’t get those other channels.
An analog TV tuner in the US today will pick up nothing... All TV stations are now digital whether a base number (22) or extra channels (22.1, 22.2)...
An ATSC Digital tuner is needed to receive over the air digital.
My TVs have both analog and digital ATSC tuners.. And during a channel scan set to 'air' the analog scan finds nothing as expected.

Perhaps it is better electronics in Samsung.. able to receive and process weaker signals.. Don't know, but they are both 'digital' to receive anything over the air today.

The QAM tuner is the digital cable version of the ATSC over the air tuner which the older Seiki TVs and many others didn't have... Which made it incompatible with digital cable systems like those at Ft Wilderness.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So if the "older" Seiki TVs lacked digital capabilities: do you think that if one is in a 2018 rig; it'll be "up to snuff"?
Old 11-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #18
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
So if the "older" Seiki TVs lacked digital capabilities: do you think that if one is in a 2018 rig; it'll be "up to snuff"?
Well it should be better.... But did you see RV Pirate's recent post about his 2017 rig where Thor used a 2015 TV? Arrrrrgggggggg...
Hopefully they ran out by now.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I saw that...,
That's why I figured that it might be worth it to ask; Thanks!
Old 11-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #20

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Qam Converters

Can anyone recommend a Qam converter for the Seiko TV's?
Also how and where is it connected for all 3 Tv's to get cable at RV Parks where I cant now get it.