Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Seiki tv busted!

Our main cab over tv cracked on both bottom corners. All we get is a blue screen that looks like or is underwater. Oh well! Now we can get something that works the way it is supposed too.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #2

State: California
THOR #10354
Any reason why it might have cracked? Temp, handling, adjustment. or did it just show up cracked when you noticed it?
Old 01-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
It's well known that these are the worst TVs on the planet.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #4

THOR #10354
You and I both have 2 or 3 of these in the Vegas 25.2 coach. What is you basis for stating that they are known to be the worst TVs. I have had no issues so far.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
You and I both have 2 or 3 of these in the Vegas 25.2 coach. What is you basis for stating that they are known to be the worst TVs. I have had no issues so far.
Its pretty common on the forum that the Seiki's are not very high quality TVs. Even a low quality TV will work just fine; it may just miss some of the features that a higher quality TV may have (say a QAM tuner to be able to decode cable TV channels--many of the Seiki's Thor installed did not include a QAM tuner--for instance).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:12 PM   #6

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Its pretty common on the forum that the Seiki's are not very high quality TVs. Even a low quality TV will work just fine; it may just miss some of the features that a higher quality TV may have (say a QAM tuner to be able to decode cable TV channels--many of the Seiki's Thor installed did not include a QAM tuner--for instance).
The missing QAM tuner is my biggest hangup. We were at a park last weekend with digital cable and couldn't use it. We did however, get an excellent over-the-air-signal which enabled us to watch football playoffs and the outside Seiki picture was excellent. Go Eagles!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	26239538_10214810855416069_4858673953010455425_n.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	8619   Click image for larger version

Name:	26903738_10214810855696076_6621278905918143357_n.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	8620  

Old 01-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #7

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
It depends on the campground’s cable provider. We were at Jekyll Island campground this past weekend until yesterday and my Seiki TV tuner picked up all their cable programming.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I replaced my main TV with a Samsung Smart TV for $200. (I see that the price has dropped $20 online) It has both the QAM and ATSC tuners. Used the same mounting hardware. If I remember, I just had to move the mount horizontally an inch or two on the wall. Otherwise an easy install.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Any reason why it might have cracked? Temp, handling, adjustment. or did it just show up cracked when you noticed it?
I agree . There seems to be more to this story.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #10

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree . There seems to be more to this story.
Last summer we noticed a small crack in the bottom right corner. But the TV was playing fine. In our C class our TV hinges up to access more storage space. I am thinking it creates too much stress on the screen. And, maybe because it's already a tv of questionable quantity.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:30 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That sure seems possible...
Could it have been a been loose in the mount, and shaken itself to an early death?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:29 AM   #12

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
That sure seems possible...
Could it have been a been loose in the mount, and shaken itself to an early death?
Everything appears tight. The tv doesn't shift at all when opening/lifting it to access the storage or plugs on the back. Dunno shrug
Old 01-20-2018, 04:06 AM   #13

THOR #10354
I have found that the mounts are too tight forcing you to apply quite a bit of pressure to the TV, typically on both sides to pry the TV from the tight hinges. The hinges probably need to be fairly tight such that the TV does re-adjust itself during driving. Glass stress cracks initially can be very small but grow with temperature changes just like you may have seen with a crack in the windshield. I think that the glass may be sensitive regardless of the manufacturer AND often several TV brands come from the same manufacturing plant in South East Asia.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #14

THOR #7205
Hope the pic attached.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:00 PM   #15

THOR #7205
Guess not. Makes it a bit more difficult on my phone.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #16

THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
The missing QAM tuner is my biggest hangup. We were at a park last weekend with digital cable and couldn't use it. We did however, get an excellent over-the-air-signal which enabled us to watch football playoffs and the outside Seiki picture was excellent. Go Eagles!
Looks like a nice camping trip. 👍
Old 01-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #17

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
I have asked a couple of folks at Thor why they provide an external cable TV port and then install a TV that does not have the capability to receive the cable system without you needing to buy more equipment. That to me is the same as installing a digital HD antenna and then putting an old analog Philco TV in. They don't ever have a good answer. I imagine the problem is that someone bought a few thousand of the cheapest TVs they could get, assuming they were equipped like practically every recently manufactured TV is. They didn't really know what they bought until they installed them and the complaints started coming in. What's really screwy is some of them have the QAM tuner and some don't (same model, different manufacture date).
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:58 PM   #18

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
The original Seiki TVs just had the over-the-air tuner (ATSC). This works in many older parks. It's only the parks that get their signals from a newer cable company that the digital cable tuner (QAM) is needed.

A friend of mine bought a 2017 Vegas and that Seiki TV is the newer model that has both tuners. I've seen them advertised online for about $150. BUT, why deal with a crappy TV when you can buy a new 17", 720p, Samsung Smart TV for about $175.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:00 AM   #19

THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneroe View Post
I have asked a couple of folks at Thor why they provide an external cable TV port and then install a TV that does not have the capability to receive the cable system without you needing to buy more equipment. That to me is the same as installing a digital HD antenna and then putting an old analog Philco TV in. They don't ever have a good answer. I imagine the problem is that someone bought a few thousand of the cheapest TVs they could get, assuming they were equipped like practically every recently manufactured TV is. They didn't really know what they bought until they installed them and the complaints started coming in. What's really screwy is some of them have the QAM tuner and some don't (same model, different manufacture date).
I agree if you are sitting in your RV at home because you do not have a second TV in your home but when you are out in the RV, we are supposed to be enjoying nature, meeting other people and getting some adventure. The TVs installed do a very good job of receiving the over-the-air HDTV channels for news weather and sports. I was actually impressed with the quality of the picture comparing it to my 3-4 flat screens at home (one is only a year old Samsung). You can buy a cable box for $25 if you would like to have one. As it is, more people are "cutting the cord" from cable TV providers and going to streaming feeds (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc). I think it is more important nowadays to have a good strong Internet connection at the RV campgrounds.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:13 AM   #20

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Illinois
THOR #8503
Quote:
I agree if you are sitting in your RV at home because you do not have a second TV in your home but when you are out in the RV, we are supposed to be enjoying nature, meeting other people and getting some adventure. The TVs installed do a very good job of receiving the over-the-air HDTV channels for news weather and sports. I was actually impressed with the quality of the picture comparing it to my 3-4 flat screens at home (one is only a year old Samsung). You can buy a cable box for $25 if you would like to have one. As it is, more people are "cutting the cord" from cable TV providers and going to streaming feeds (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc). I think it is more important nowadays to have a good strong Internet connection at the RV campgrounds.
My only problem with that is, I am not out to enjoy nature every night. Many days, it is just RV Park to RV Park until I get to a certain destination for a more lengthy stay. On those nights onthe road, if the RV park has cable, I would like to be able to use it. I have "cut the cord" at home. The problem with streaming in the RV is if I want to stream a ballgame, by the time I've watched one game, I've used up my monthly allotment of data at usable speeds. I have an unlimited data plan from Verizon, but it slows down to a crawl after you've used 15gb. I agree with your comment about picture quality. My Seikis, one 40" and two 32", are as goid as my Sony at home. Also, just as an aside, not all RVers do it to commune with nature, there are many different reasons people RV.
FMCA #F479085
Good Sam #848205704
wayneroe is offline   Reply With Quote