Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
The thing that is wrong with the Seiki, Sankyo, and Continuos televisions that Thor installs is that they are VERY inexpensive off brand Chinese manufactured models meant for "hospitality" environments.

The Continuos brand in particular is typically installed in hospitals, adult care facilities, and prisons. That's why they have the funky third party remote.

As a result, these "hospitality" models are purposely intended to have limited functions compared to even very inexpensive "normal" televisions that you can pick up at Walmart.

They cost Thor very little compared to actual retail distribution televisions.
The Seiki televisions are sold by WalMart and Amazon and it is amazing how many reviews are on the sites about the QAM tuners, or lack their of. On the Seikis with the QAM tuners apparently there are issues with activating that tuner as it is turned off out of the box.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Has anyone upgraded their Seiki 32" TV in their Axis or Vegas over the door to anything larger? I wasn't sure if there is enough room for a larger size.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #23
ETS

Model: VEGAS 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3213
I have two SEIKE tvs models SE28HY10 and SE32HY10 and a SAIKYO Model SKTVDOMV01. Since April we have been to camp sites from Virginia to Florida and have never had any issues with camp site cable tuning. So where we have been, the camp grounds must have THE BOX that allows distribution to the campers without scrambled signals.

IF I try to scan my home TVs to cable without a cable box they do not work. The cable company scrambles the signals. Plus I need a cable box for each TV. Charter, COX, Verizon and ATT all scramble signals.

In order for my all RV'S three tv's to receive signal the signal cannot be scrambled.

When I do over the air scans I get messages that tell me what channels are scrambled.

Our RV is a 2015 VEGAS 24.1
Old 12-18-2015, 01:29 AM   #24

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
All this talk about the issues with the Seikis makes me want to go out & get a better TV during the after-Christmas sales. Could probably pick up a nice one for less than $100, since it's small (19").
Old 12-18-2015, 03:05 AM   #25
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I have all ways had them remove the factory TV and give me credit, and than bought my own generally Best Buy on sale
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #26

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I have not had any problems with the three I have in our unit - other then the less than stellar picture. I was in Walmart a few weeks ago and saw a 32" LG for 199$. My daughter and SIL have an LG and it has one of the best pictures I have ever seen. Thinking I might replace the main TV with one of these. Then I would have a spare of the other two.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:58 PM   #27

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
State: Texas
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I was in Walmart a few weeks ago and saw a 32" LG for 199$. My daughter and SIL have an LG and it has one of the best pictures I have ever seen.
We have a 60" LG plasma in the den of our S&B, and it's been great. No complaints at all, but the Samsungs in our Mobile Suites have been excellent as well.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:43 AM   #28
ETS

Model: VEGAS 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #3213
This whole TV thing is kinda funny -
For those who remember. Our family bought a TV console that took almost the entire wall of our living room. I am not sure of the size tube but probably no more than 21 inches. It was a black and white unit. Several years later we bought a screen to place in front of the TV that give you simulated color.
Now - what's all this about TV's?
I watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show on that TV and wish I could do it again.
LOL
Old 12-19-2015, 12:45 AM   #29

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
We have a 60" LG plasma in the den of our S&B, and it's been great. No complaints at all, but the Samsungs in our Mobile Suites have been excellent as well.

Rusty

We have a Samsung in our family room and it has a good picture but that LG is just WOW.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:05 AM   #30

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #1393
We had the same issue at Fort Wilderness with the Seiki TV's and couldn't get a football game on the outside tv. FW let us sign out a converter box and we then got all the channels, including ESPN so we could watch the game. Our neighbor came over and we had to change a factory setting on the tv in the bedroom to get all the channels, only the outside tv required the converter box (the 3rd tv in our rig was another brand and no issue).. wish I could remember what we did to make it work. It has nothing to do with wiring or your antenna, it's a Seiki issue. Our neighbor knew all about it and also had these crappy TV's.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:18 AM   #31

Model: Four Winds 31L
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #3403
I have the same problem on a 2016 Thor, and I called Seiki, and that TV does not have a digital tuner. I changed the main one, in the kitchen with a nice 32" Samsung Smart TV that has the digital tuner and it's a smart TV.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:54 AM   #32

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
Where is the amplifier switch
Old 01-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #33
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Where is the amplifier switch
It depends on the model of your coach. Some are in cabinets over the door or in a cabinet in the kitchen. In my coach it is on the back wall and of the shelf above the fireplace and immediately behind the HDMI A/V switch. It looks like a flat black wall plate with a small round button.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #34

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
The two Seikis I have are the same models ETS has. I was talking to Thor customer service tech yesterday about this very issue with the Seikis. He said the models I have do not have a QAM tuner. The QAM is the device that unscrambles an encoded signal. I said the TVs do not perform as advertised and the outside TV in particular is annoying because that was an option for which I paid extra. There are Seikis that have an internal QAM tuner (that is why some folks here have said they never had a problem). I asked him if Thor would entertain swapping QAM equipped TVs for the two I have without QAM under warranty. You might guess what the answer was -- he said they would not be able to do that.

So I'll replace both with LGs for an out-of-pocket expense of $400. It's no big deal right now because the Seikis will pick up RF channels when I'm on antenna. But sometime when we are out in the boonies and the antenna will not pick up line of sight stations then all I'll be able to see will be cable channels on the bedroom TV.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #35

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
The two Seikis I have are the same models ETS has. I was talking to Thor customer service tech yesterday about this very issue with the Seikis. He said the models I have do not have a QAM tuner. The QAM is the device that unscrambles an encoded signal. I said the TVs do not perform as advertised and the outside TV in particular is annoying because that was an option for which I paid extra. There are Seikis that have an internal QAM tuner (that is why some folks here have said they never had a problem). I asked him if Thor would entertain swapping QAM equipped TVs for the two I have without QAM under warranty. You might guess what the answer was -- he said they would not be able to do that.

So I'll replace both with LGs for an out-of-pocket expense of $400. It's no big deal right now because the Seikis will pick up RF channels when I'm on antenna. But sometime when we are out in the boonies and the antenna will not pick up line of sight stations then all I'll be able to see will be cable channels on the bedroom TV.
Looks like QAM digital tuners are only about $35-40 -- if they work.. Might be worth trying rather than TV replacement.
https://www.google.com/search?q=qam+...&client=safari
Old 06-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #36
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Seiki TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by obadea View Post
I have the same problem on a 2016 Thor, and I called Seiki, and that TV does not have a digital tuner. I changed the main one, in the kitchen with a nice 32" Samsung Smart TV that has the digital tuner and it's a smart TV.
I also have a 2016 Vegas and would like to replace the tv in the kitchen. Can you tell how to remove the Seiki tv.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #37

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
See the following post on how to remove the TV in the 2014/5 Axis/Vegas.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...e-tv-2299.html

The 2016 is a little different because it is larger and there is no board on the bottom. But I think it is similar in my 2016.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:42 PM   #38

State: Texas
THOR #3877
Any luck with Thor on the issue with Seikis and QAM decoding

Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck addressing the issue with Seike TVs not picking up channels from cable due to the QAM decoding with Thor?

Thanks,
George
Old 06-07-2016, 12:47 AM   #39

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
They are digital televisions. If you are hooked up to a cable system you may need a cable box from the provider to unscramble the channels. Are you using the menu and letting you tv scan for channels? Are you telling it whether you are using an antenna or cable? You do not need a box that converts digital to an analog television. Your television is digital and hd capable.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:38 AM   #40

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Bob -- this is not a digital/analog issue. The tuners are digital but not QAM compatible. This means it used the digital tv signals; however, they will not decode an encoded cable signal. It has nothing to do with digital vs analog. If you unplugged your tv from its cable box and the tv had no QAM capability it would not decode any of the cable channels if you hoped the tv directly into the wall.

In my attempts to scan channels I used the menu, selected Cable (not air for the antenna), the antenna amp was off. I've talked to Seiki customer service and they validated the tuners on my 2 TVs had a digital tuner; however, it lacks QAM capability -- therefore their digital tuner can not unscramble the encoded cable signal.

As I mentioned early on, I've been in a few RV parks that had their own dish systems and these systems did not have encoded cable channels. Both my TVs scanned those systems fine. It's the encoded cable systems like at Fort Wilderness that is a no go.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote