Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Leveling Leg Circuit Activates at Start-up?

If the motor home sits for a day or more with the leveling legs up, when the engine starts the leveling leg panel activates, I hear the pump cycle on for an instant, and then the panel indicates that it's "Ready". I have been battling a leaking leveling jack for quite some time, but the last time I parked it on concrete for a few weeks there was no indication of a leak or even a weep. I wonder if all RV's with Lipert jacks cycle on when the engine is started after sitting with the jacks up for a while.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Mine does not. In fact if I turn on the leveling system power too soon after starting the engine I get the low voltage error and have to recycle the power (turn off then on) to clear the error.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #3

THOR #2817
That's interesting. I have had to let the engine idle before deploying the leveling jacks but I think the low voltage indication came on after I pushed the automatic level button. I think my system is recognizing that one or more jacks have dropped over time and therefore is engaging the hydraulic motor to push the jacks to the full up position when the engine is started.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If the jacks are down and the engine is started if the parking brake is not set the jacks are supposed to retract automatically. If you have a leak the jacks may be functioning correctly.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #5

THOR #2817
The last time this happened (leveling control panel turning on at engine start up) I could not deploy the jacks because I hadn't set the parking brake.

I can't imagine having the parking brake disengaged while the jacks are down, but I suppose it's a possibility if someone sits in the driver's seat and plays with knobs, levers, and switches (kids or deranged adults). I wondered if there is bleed-by in the levelers while the RV sits for an extended period of time. But most likely it's a small leak that is dropping the up-pressure in the system.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:36 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #1001
Mine comes on,cycles for about 5 seconds,shuts itself off. No problems.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:57 PM   #7

THOR #2817
The difference between yours and mine is that mine doesn't shut off. I have to manually turn it off. Occasionally while driving the RV the leveling panel beeps and turns on. I turn it off. Something must be leaking.

After owning RVs for more than twenty years I have come to the conclusion that there will always be something wrong with all RVs, whether or not the owner realizes it.