Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2019, 01:59 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #14469
slide opening

Hello to all, need some help figuring out what happened to my slide outs. I have never had any issues before, owners manual says something about auto reset. I have a 2002 Damon Challenger 348. Drivers seat all the way forward, key off, parking brake on, no travel braces, on and off key switch bypassed by OP, batteries show good, no click noise or battery draw when pushing slide out button and the bedroom slide same result, seems that there is no power to switches. Have no idea where the auto reset is, checked all fuses under dash and no blown fuses in 120volt power box in bedroom. Thanks to all that can help, Jim

Old 02-17-2019, 02:34 AM   #2

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
My prior RV, slideout had interlocks on the compartment doors below the slideout. Pin-switches in series that would not allow power to the slide if a door was open.
I had a wire break at the connector for one of those switches, very hard to find. Slide motors are 12 volt.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

THOR #14469
Slide

Thanks for the help, I dont think mine is that fancy. If I could find the auto reset I may have it licked. I see you are in P-cola, was stationed at Tyndall AFB 1974-75, it was so beautiful back then, amazing fishing, pretty part of the our GREAT Country. Take care, Jim
Old 02-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you can find your slide controller: try pushing the reset button six times, and then holding the button down until the controller starts flashing rapidly.
That should allow you to get the slides to open up.

https://www.google.com/search?source...8khg#kpvalbx=1
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #5

State: Illinois
THOR #621
We had a slide that was in (no noise)when we tried to open it. We had a tech come out and the only issue, when we opened the locking mechanism, it was not all the way in. Even though it looked like. Easy fix not easy cost.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:57 AM   #6

THOR #14469
Slide

Thank you for all the tips!! Found the reset controller under the drivers basement door, it only has two relays, 20amp breaker plug and a slo-blo fuse. Checked for power at in-out switch, fuse, reset breaker all good and pig tail has power on two terminals when in-out switch is pressed, starting to smell like relays maybe. Sure was hoping to push something 6 times and hold the 7th. Will get a couple of relays tomorrow, still wondering how both slides are dead at same time. Life would sure be boring if all things worked good all the time, I am ready to get a little BORED! Thanks again for all the help, great bunch of folks here and glad I joined. Jim
Old 02-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Do you have high enough voltage? How about with the engine running?

Let us know how it works out
Old 02-24-2019, 02:58 AM   #8

THOR #14469
Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Do you have high enough voltage? How about with the engine running?

Let us know how it works out
Thanks for the tip, we have had over 14" of rain and have no place dry enough to crawl under that thing. Have pulled the slide controller reset board, ordered 2 new relays ( which was soldered ) found out by prying one out with screwdriver, lucky not to cracked the board. Will direct wire the motor tomorrow to see if it does anything. I am racking my brains trying to figure out all the things that need to be done before the slide will open, seat up forward, engine off, etc. etc. This is all I know what is left to do is basically apply direct 12 volts to the motor and see if anything happens, but both slides gone out at the same time, makes me think that some where up the circuit is putting the brakes on before getting to motor, even though I am getting power at the pigtail that plugs into the relay board within one foot of the living room slide. Thanks for the replies everyone, the more heads the better. Jim
Old 02-25-2019, 01:02 AM   #9

THOR #14469
Slide

Hello to all, applied direct current from battery and the slide went out slow but went out, I would hate to think after all this it may be a voltage problem. Will see what voltage I have on the 2 6 volt batteries, it may be in the amps of the 2 6 volt batteries that make it quicker to extend then it did today and I believe that the slides are controlled by one slide controller. I am glad that the motor worked, now I will get the new relays installed when they get delivered. Thanks again to all that gave me some tips, Jim
Old 02-27-2019, 12:32 AM   #10

THOR #14469
Slide

Hello to all, well no luck. Received the two relays had them installed and NOTHING !!! BUMMER !!! Still have power on the two wires that are in the pig tail that get hot when the switch is moved to the in and out postions, one wire at a time get power. There is only 4 things in this controller, 2 relays,1 slo-blo fuse and a 20amp reset. Don't ask me how this 20amp reset breaker is suppose to operate with out a reset button of some sort???. I will check the ground connection tomorrow to see if that has anything to do with it. I pulled every fuse that I could see and checked them by putting power from one side to the other, I am stumped! There is a small lever on the motor that is labeled brake and I forgot the other labels name, when I first looked at the motor the lever was in the brake position. The back bedroom slide is still inop, I still think there is something in the path of the circuit that I have not found, I may have to say UNCLE and get some professional help ( I am talking about the couch ). Thanks for all the ideas, Jim
Old 02-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #11

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
I believe the Damon slide system is similar to the Lippert system used on my 2001 GeorgieBoy. This manual may help.
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...tionManual.pdf
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:33 AM   #12

THOR #14469
Slide

Hello to all, well I got sick and tired of being sick and tired. So I decided to by pass all the switches that had to do with seat up,key off, brake on and ect, ect. to allow my slides to operate. I wired straight to the slide controller at the slo-blo fuse from the the batteries, BINGO it works great, brakes still loc slides in and out and still have the safety of the fuse, things are so good again!! Now for that rotten, no good electric step,%*&#@?>, pardon my French !! will try the same idea with just the steps and battery and a magnet to complete the flow. Saw this bragging about the weather here in SC, Yep, The temps have been good here in SC. We have only had rain twice since the first of the year....1 time was 29 days and second time was for 18 days!!!! MAY YOUR MILES BE FULL OF SMILES, Jim
Old 03-09-2019, 12:03 AM   #13

State: Connecticut
THOR #11685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAN1951 View Post
Thanks for the tip, we have had over 14" of rain and have no place dry enough to crawl under that thing. Have pulled the slide controller reset board, ordered 2 new relays ( which was soldered ) found out by prying one out with screwdriver, lucky not to cracked the board. Will direct wire the motor tomorrow to see if it does anything. I am racking my brains trying to figure out all the things that need to be done before the slide will open, seat up forward, engine off, etc. etc. This is all I know what is left to do is basically apply direct 12 volts to the motor and see if anything happens, but both slides gone out at the same time, makes me think that some where up the circuit is putting the brakes on before getting to motor, even though I am getting power at the pigtail that plugs into the relay board within one foot of the living room slide. Thanks for the replies everyone, the more heads the better. Jim

My dealer suggested using the generator to open slides. Said sometimes the campsites power is inconsistent. Haven’t done it yet myself since he told me that at the end of our camping season.