Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3772
Steer Safe vs Safe-t-Steer

I have an appointment in Livingston TX to get my Hurricane 27K weighed and measured. I will be going through Deming NM after that and am considering getting a Steer Safe stabilizer installed. They quoted me a price of $439 including installation. I haven't checked on the price of the Safe-T-Steer or where I can get that installed.
Does anyone have experience with both or have a preference?

Old 09-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alberta
THOR #2791
FWIW, too little front end +caster can manifest itself as "loose steering" (and wandering) at highway speeds. Typically the E series comes off the assembly line with the caster set at about +3.5 degrees. Many folks have found +5.5 or so to result in a great improvement in handling.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:17 PM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #1466
Safe-T-Steer

I installed Safe-Plus on my Vegas. I cannot comment on other systems, but anything you add for steering stability will save your life in a blow-out situation, or evasive move on the highway. The unit costs about $300-$400, shop around. The installation was done at a local Ford dealer who works on big trucks and motorhomes. Align the front end when you have the stabilizer installed. Installation is about 2 hrs shop time, including adjustments that must be done after road-testing. About $150 for alignment and installation. You will appreciate the difference in handling with the Safe-T-Plus unit installed. They have an excellent Youtube video on their testing, safety enhancements using their system, and how to install. You can even go to the Safe-T-Plus factory, I think it is in Georgia, and they will install it for free.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #3945
we have had 4 installed on our last 4 motor homes all done at demning nm and it a great system you can stay out side there shop Mike also put our brake system on our car......jim

Tags
front end stabilizers