Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2020, 03:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37FH
State: Florida
THOR #20476
Steering wheel off-center

I have a Challenger 37fh on the Ford F53 chassis. The steering wheel is slightly off center (spokes normally at 9 and 3 for straight driving are at roughly 9:30 and 3:30). Ford dealer says there is no adjustment to allow re-centering the steering wheel. My question is has anyone else experienced this and have you found a remedy?

Challenger 37FH
Buick encore or Chevrolet Equinox - Toad
ptylerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Tie rod on older models.
Steeriing box spline on newer models.

It's a pretty simple process.
Usually one bolt.

If I'm wrong, let me know.

I have no faith in
read, remove, replace, WRONG, repeat, rebill mechanics that dealers hire and support.

People call themselves master mechanic when indeed they are take off parts cannon guys.

I might be wrong, but it's a starting point on finding out if the dealer is right.

But
Once it is centered you'll find you hold it off to one side DUE TO ROAD CROWN.
you are probably centered and experiencing road crown, the roads are sloped, and you're compensating by holding the wheel in that position.

And
Depending on their understandings and abilities, I also might tell people I won't do it.
Not because it can't be done but because I don't want to explain road crown, have you back a dozen times because the steering wheel isn't centered 'on some roads' have to reset it due to a half moa tilt, again, then again, then again because it 'bothers my ibs to see it even a degree crooked'.

It is probably a groundhogs day type nightmare once they say they can do it and Mr. OCD comes in every week for a redo.

So, while I think the parts cannon guys truly suck, I think some repairs for some folks really makes parts cannon guy wish he hadn't done the work.
I can see both sides.
Had he said 'we don't do it' I'd respect him. If he said 'it can't be done' he's pretty weak....

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #21314
Our 2019 Windsport 29M also has a steering wheel off center. Took it to a mechanic and he set the toe in but couldn't do anything about the wheel. The motorhome is also on a F53 frame. It bugs me some but when my eyes are on the road it's just fine.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptylerp View Post
I have a Challenger 37fh on the Ford F53 chassis. The steering wheel is slightly off center (spokes normally at 9 and 3 for straight driving are at roughly 9:30 and 3:30). Ford dealer says there is no adjustment to allow re-centering the steering wheel. My question is has anyone else experienced this and have you found a remedy?
Really? A Ford dealer doesn't know about a well documented procedure for straightening the steering on a late model F53 chassis? Makes you wonder what else they don't know.

First post from this thread on IRV2 documents what needs to be done with pictures.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/late...ng-351074.html
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Dealers...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
I have my work done at a local truck repair. They aligned the steering wheel when they did the alignment.
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
On the older F53, you can pull the steering wheel and re-index it.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:02 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
This could also be true on new ones.
No airbag, no worries.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
No airbag, no worries.
Only works on pre-2012 chassis. Newer models have a keyed spline.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post

No airbag, no worries.

It is not true on newer ones. They are keyed to the steering column.

I’m actually rather well informed on this. My last coach had a significantly off center wheel after getting it aligned (I bought it used with a straight steering wheel but dreadful front tire wear). My trusted Ford truck dealer said there is no easy way to adjust it. The official Ford approved procedure is to remove the steering box and shim it sideways the needed amount. But you can make a fairly coarse adjustment yourself. If you crawl into the front wheel well you can actually sit up comfortably and see that on the top of the steering box the steering column is fastened to the splined input shaft with a single pinch bolt. It is not otherwise keyed. If you loosen the bolt the inner column slips off - with maybe a bit of persuasion with a screw driver used as a lever. You can then put it back on after moving the requisite number of splines. Mine took two but I overshot the first time and had to go back and fix it. After you’ve done it once it’s a 10 minute job. It’s a little scary to think that the only thing keeping the steering connected is a single 1/4 inch pinch bolt but there it is. I did put some blue loctite on it. I don’t remember how many splines there are anymore but I think maybe each spline was about 10 degrees at the wheel. Be alert because once disconnected the steering wheel moves effortlessly.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:47 PM   #11

Model: challenger
State: Alabama
THOR #21263
Ford put out an advisory called "clear vision" or something like that. dash gauges must be clearly seen when wheels are straight. details how to index the steering wheel so it is correctly positioned when driving straight down the road.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #12

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
It is not true on newer ones. They are keyed to the steering column.

I’m actually rather well informed on this. My last coach had a significantly off center wheel after getting it aligned (I bought it used with a straight steering wheel but dreadful front tire wear). My trusted Ford truck dealer said there is no easy way to adjust it. The official Ford approved procedure is to remove the steering box and shim it sideways the needed amount. But you can make a fairly coarse adjustment yourself. If you crawl into the front wheel well you can actually sit up comfortably and see that on the top of the steering box the steering column is fastened to the splined input shaft with a single pinch bolt. It is not otherwise keyed. If you loosen the bolt the inner column slips off - with maybe a bit of persuasion with a screw driver used as a lever. You can then put it back on after moving the requisite number of splines. Mine took two but I overshot the first time and had to go back and fix it. After you’ve done it once it’s a 10 minute job. It’s a little scary to think that the only thing keeping the steering connected is a single 1/4 inch pinch bolt but there it is. I did put some blue loctite on it. I don’t remember how many splines there are anymore but I think maybe each spline was about 10 degrees at the wheel. Be alert because once disconnected the steering wheel moves effortlessly.
What he said
I didn't do it myself but on our 2018 ACE I had to tell the tech at the truck service garage how to do it. It still cost me a service fee.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:09 AM   #13

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
I had this issue on our 2017 ACE. I talked to Thor and they said that can happen in their manufacturing process. They told me to have the work done to fix that and they would reimburse the repair.

Call Thor before you go to the dealer. I had mine fixed when I had them do the CHF.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #14

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #15

THOR #20541
Hello, I have a similar issue but not quite the same. My Windsport has been doing this since new from dealer (about 3 months old). Steering wheel's "neutral" position is about 10 degrees right AND the RV pulls to the right. If I hold the wheel centered then RV goes straight. Without knowing the right term is there something simple that would fix this or does it need an alignment? I could live with the wheel being off centered but having to continually steer left to keep the thing going straight is exhausting and I'd love a solution. Dealer told me to take it to Ford since they don't do any work on alignment or steering and I just want to make sure I ask for the right work to be performed. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #16

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdad View Post
Hello, I have a similar issue but not quite the same. My Windsport has been doing this since new from dealer (about 3 months old). Steering wheel's "neutral" position is about 10 degrees right AND the RV pulls to the right. If I hold the wheel centered then RV goes straight. Without knowing the right term is there something simple that would fix this or does it need an alignment? I could live with the wheel being off centered but having to continually steer left to keep the thing going straight is exhausting and I'd love a solution. Dealer told me to take it to Ford since they don't do any work on alignment or steering and I just want to make sure I ask for the right work to be performed. Thanks in advance!

Did you have a steering stabilizer put on? That is how they are if the stabilizer is not adjusted correctly. It’s an easy DIY adjustment if this is your problem. If you don’t have one then it’s likely a simple alignment issue. I’d recommend a truck shop or a Ford truck dealer rather than an RV shop. Probably $125 - 200 depending on the needed adjustment.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #17

THOR #20541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Did you have a steering stabilizer put on? That is how they are if the stabilizer is not adjusted correctly. It’s an easy DIY adjustment if this is your problem. If you don’t have one then it’s likely a simple alignment issue. I’d recommend a truck shop or a Ford truck dealer rather than an RV shop. Probably $125 - 200 depending on the needed adjustment.
Thanks for the quick reply! No steering stabilizer it's all stock down there (minus sumo springs which I put on but obviously would not have a positive impact on this specific situation). We have a Ford commercial dealer near by that the RV shop recommended so I'll follow up with them once I get it back from the RV dealer. I appreciate the advice.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #18

Model: chateau
State: Ohio
THOR #783
Steering wheel off

our chateau did these things after wheel alignment. We took it back to the alignment place and they fixed it.

Diane V
Old 12-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #19

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #11919
My Windsport 29m had the same issue. Took it my local truck shop and the took care of it and verified the alignment. Unfortunately I don’t know how they did it but it is possible.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #20

State: Georgia
THOR #18321
I had the same issue with my Hurricane 2020 on the
Ford Chassis and CW in Chattanooga said it took ten minutes to correct. However, I warn you because now it is off in the other direction a bit so I am going to live with it.