Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2017, 09:45 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #4636
Schwintek slide systems technician

Seeking an RV technician/mechanic in the Northeast that has experience with the Schwintek slide system.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Ontario
THOR #971
What is wrong with it?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #3

THOR #4636
2017 Miramar 33.4 slide issues

Good question......

The problem, in my opinion, is that the full wall slide in he 33.4 Miramar is too large and overweight. This is causing a host of issues and malfunctions that include:

1) slide drift while driving (this was one of our problems)
2) wire chafing - causing malfunctions
3) circuit faults in the sync box
4) general slide failure because of slide out of plumb
5) gear jumping

The Lippert Schwintek 500/1 electric motor system works as it should. It is the responsibility of the RV manufacturer, Thor in our case, to choose the appropriate motor system for the slide. The Schwintek system was a cheaper and lighter alternative to other slide motoring mechanisms. A different system or slide configuration would likely remedy the problem. I have seen alot of short term fixes - that become long term headaches (often times after warranty). The system will fail.

I believe that Thor realized the design flaw and redesigned the Miramar bunkhouse by eliminating the full wall slide and placing the kitchen with the heavy countertops and cabinets, in a non-slide part of the RV. I aso noted that they no longer put kitchens in any of their full wall slides found on still a couple of Miramar models (and a number of Palazzos).

I have spoke to numerous people since my posts of similar slide issues in the Ace and Windsport models manufactured around the same time as ours.

I really would like an expert to weigh in on these issues. No one could fix ours, including Thor - causing us third party intervention and lots of money for resolution.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:12 PM   #4

THOR #971
We have a challenger 35HT with the full slide. To date we have not had an issue except for the short plumbing for the sink into the gray tank behind the rough in washer and dryer. I have to ask this question and I agree the weight is the issue but have you lubed the Rollers and slides underneith as well as the upper and lower bearings and gears on the outside. If so what lubricant did you use.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #5

THOR #971
Also do you use the auto level or manual level for your Jack's
Old 07-20-2017, 11:33 PM   #6

THOR #4636
2017 Miramar slide issues

I truly do hope that your RV give you many years of enjoyment and you do not have the issues we have had. I was thinking we just got a lemon - but I have read just too many stories relating to full wall sklide issues to think that ours was a mere lemon.

We used both auto leveling and manual (sometimes need to be tweeked to get a true level after slide is out). Im sure you know - always make sure the rig is level. And never stop the slide while it is still traveling (hold the button for 5 seconds afterward is always good).

I never lubed the slides as it was too new. During the seven months of ownership - Longview RV and Thor put three different rack systems in the RV so lubing was never an issue). I have used a silicon based RV lubricant in the past on previous RVs (Winnebego Itasca Impulse 31JP and never had an issue with the slides).

Taking care of your RV is vital! But it kind of has to come out of the box in good working condition to be able to perform preventive maintenance. That is why we are now in litigation.....

If you do have issues with te slide, let me know... Where did you buy yours? We bought ours from Longview. They were always good to work with. But they did sell us an improperly manufactured RV and were unable to make fixes. Thats my take for what it is worth.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oct slide drift.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	5968
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aug5 superslide slip.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	5969  
Old 07-20-2017, 11:45 PM   #7

THOR #971
Power lube with ptfe is what you should be using on the mechanical and slides never silicone. I use it 2 time in the season if you google achwintek slide service. There are many lube with ptfe but this spray has a different propellant to help it migrate
Old 07-21-2017, 12:40 AM   #8

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610

Name:	20161005_120522.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	5979
I've been using this on my Schwintech gears, track, rollers, along with anything else on my 5er that moves & no problems. I use it on my slides regularly & it's about a third of the price of the CRC brand they show on the video, I purchase it Wal-Mart & have 2 or cans on hand at all times.
As for the gap you pictured it appears you need to sync the motors, extend the slide 3 - 4" then retract til it's in holding the button for 5 seconds & repeat this 4 - 5 times, this is the procedure the factory service team showed me when mine came in at an angle leaving a 1 - 1 1/2" gap on one side.
The service techs also recommended using Pledge furniture polish on all the rubber seals throughout the rv. Personally I use the imitation Pledge from the dollar store & works just as well.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 AM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by laberj45 View Post
Seeking an RV technician/mechanic in the Northeast that has experience with the Schwintek slide system.
So if you are already in litigation, you are looking for an RV tech to do what?
Sounds like you are past the fixing stage.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:31 AM   #10

Model: Ace 30.2
State: Washington
THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky220 View Post
Power lube with ptfe is what you should be using on the mechanical and slides never silicone. I use it 2 time in the season if you google achwintek slide service. There are many lube with ptfe but this spray has a different propellant to help it migrate
I believe Thor no longer recommends using any lube. Not Thor problem. Lippert has a design that is destined to fail. I have replied to many posts about the flaw. Having a hexagon shaft in a round hole is nothing but trouble. Easy fix would be to put a bearing in what they call a bearing block. This is how I fixed mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1644.jpg
Views:	2136
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	5982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1649.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	5983  

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	5984   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1654.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	5985  

Old 07-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #11

THOR #971
How did you add the bearing to their block
Old 07-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #12

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by laberj45 View Post

....cut....

The Lippert Schwintek 500/1 electric motor system works as it should. It is the responsibility of the RV manufacturer, Thor in our case, to choose the appropriate motor system for the slide. The Schwintek system was a cheaper and lighter alternative to other slide motoring mechanisms. A different system or slide configuration would likely remedy the problem. I have seen alot of short term fixes - that become long term headaches (often times after warranty). The system will fail.

....cut.....
I'm not sure if you are suggesting that the Schwintek system can be replaced with another type in order to "fix" the problem, but if so, I'd say that's not practical. It'd be easier and less cost to replace the motorhome. The problem is that Schwintek slides are structurally very different (just an opinion based on engineering experience).

There may be drastic options to remedy the problem permanently, but going back to an older hydraulic system (or whatever) doesn't sound like a viable solution to me.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #13

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky220 View Post
How did you add the bearing to their block

We put it in a mill and found center. Cut down a piece of brass on a lathe then put the the gear rod in the lathe and cut down the hex to round to fit snug in the brass bearing.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:38 PM   #14

Model: 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Michigan
THOR #2780
I agree there is a design flaw with these whole side slide-outs. We are experiencing some of the same problems everyone else seems to be having. When we had our repair shop look at it the technician said these type of slide-outs should be hydraulic instead of electric and the gear is made out of steel while the rail is aluminum. He stated they have been working on quite a few of these the last couple of years. We are suppose to go camping this weekend, but are not sure if we'll get caught where the slide-out doesn't want to retract enough to drive. Also, the repair could take 2-3 days. With the overall number of issues I've read about with Thor units I'd be embarrassed to say I work for Thor.
Modified w/ a wheelchair lift
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 01:34 AM   #15

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
3 Trax, or 2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I agree there is a design flaw with these whole side slide-outs. We are experiencing some of the same problems everyone else seems to be having. When we had our repair shop look at it the technician said these type of slide-outs should be hydraulic instead of electric and the gear is made out of steel while the rail is aluminum. He stated they have been working on quite a few of these the last couple of years. We are suppose to go camping this weekend, but are not sure if we'll get caught where the slide-out doesn't want to retract enough to drive. Also, the repair could take 2-3 days. With the overall number of issues I've read about with Thor units I'd be embarrassed to say I work for Thor.
Scott
Is yours a 2 Trax system? Thor switched to 3 Trax system during the 2015 model year; you might want to retrofit to 3 Trax to avoid a repeat of your wear issue. Ideally should have Thor factory or Lippert factory perform the retrofit, but others on this forum have had it done successfully by experienced RV facilities.We have the 2015 30.2 with 3 Trax and I am on the watch for wear issues. Like you, we have extended service contract as I was concerned about the full wall slide, and the levelers. Keep us posted. Good luck
Old 07-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #16

THOR #4636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
Attachment 5979
I've been using this on my Schwintech gears, track, rollers, along with anything else on my 5er that moves & no problems. I use it on my slides regularly & it's about a third of the price of the CRC brand they show on the video, I purchase it Wal-Mart & have 2 or cans on hand at all times.
As for the gap you pictured it appears you need to sync the motors, extend the slide 3 - 4" then retract til it's in holding the button for 5 seconds & repeat this 4 - 5 times, this is the procedure the factory service team showed me when mine came in at an angle leaving a 1 - 1 1/2" gap on one side.
The service techs also recommended using Pledge furniture polish on all the rubber seals throughout the rv. Personally I use the imitation Pledge from the dollar store & works just as well.
NOPE..... I appreciate you weighing in. But trust me, we tried everything. I even sent it back to Thor in Dec for them to diagnose it and repair it (over 1800 miles at their expense and 2 months work) as a 4th repair attempt.

The last diagnosis from a Thor technician in CT in Feb was that the boxes (accessed from underneath the slide) was puting pressure on the slide and needed to be removed and grinded down. At thispoint, I had enough "arts and crafts" on our new unfixable Miramar full wall slide. IT WAS DEFECTIVE AND I BELIEVE TO BE JUST OVERWEIGHT!
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #17

Model: ACE 30.2
THOR #8180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace30.2 View Post
I believe Thor no longer recommends using any lube. Not Thor problem. Lippert has a design that is destined to fail. I have replied to many posts about the flaw. Having a hexagon shaft in a round hole is nothing but trouble. Easy fix would be to put a bearing in what they call a bearing block. This is how I fixed mine.
Very nice work. I have the 3-trax system however I'm not convinced that's any saving grace. I may just steal your bronze bearing idea since I have full access to a lathe and miller.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #18

THOR #5063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnemarc View Post
Very nice work. I have the 3-trax system however I'm not convinced that's any saving grace. I may just steal your bronze bearing idea since I have full access to a lathe and miller.

When I first talked to Thor about the problem I asked if mine should have the 3trax system. He replied by saying that was just a shot in the dark if it would actually fix the problem. So there's not to much confidence coming from Thor about an under engineered Lippert product. Shame on both of them for pretty much giving their customers a product that should not be allowed in the rv industry.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #19

THOR #4636
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Scott
Is yours a 2 Trax system? Thor switched to 3 Trax system during the 2015 model year; you might want to retrofit to 3 Trax to avoid a repeat of your wear issue. Ideally should have Thor factory or Lippert factory perform the retrofit, but others on this forum have had it done successfully by experienced RV facilities.We have the 2015 30.2 with 3 Trax and I am on the watch for wear issues. Like you, we have extended service contract as I was concerned about the full wall slide, and the levelers. Keep us posted. Good luck
The 3Trax system had plenty of failures too. They went from a 2 trac to a 3trax, and sure - it was supposed to make the customer feel good about "maintenance free" camping. But this is a small upgrade to a slide system that is overweight - and a Lippert Schwintek motoring system that was never designed to move such long heavy slides. You'll find that Thor still uses 2 tracs on a number of their lighter/smaller slides. They should go hydraulic for all the larger ones.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:24 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
The hydraulic systems had plenty of failures too.

They also cost more, weigh more, and require more space for the mechanisms. In larger, heavier, and more expensive luxury motorhomes hydraulic slides may still make sense, but for entry-level coaches the Schwintek in-wall electric system is too appealing to manufacturers. I seriously doubt manufacturers will ever go back to previous hydraulic systems on lower-cost and smaller MHs.

A simpler solution which Thor seems to be going back to is to split the full-wall slide into two segments. My sister's new Thor 31-foot motorhome is built that way and so far they have not had any major problems with slides. If buyers want slides, they can choose to keep things simpler. Her front slide has couch and dinette, and rear a bed. They had an electrical (wiring) problem with one slide, but dealer fixed it quickly.