Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2022, 04:08 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #28230
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
I agree! A few other things such as our hot water low point being inaccessible from the factory and wanting a soft cushy mattress, with a little elbow grease ours is very functional and comfortable.

I posted about looking into better brakes, but after good advice, we will wait. We do like our 24.1. This forum has been a great source of info and knowledge gathering.
I love the idea of the Thor Vegas 24 but the quality and function are a huge let down for me. I would have rather paid an extra 20k and never turned a wrench.

The only thing I can say good about the Thor Vegas is the brakes. They are very responsive and strong.

Even the great big 7.3 engine required a $600 tuner to unleash its true potential.

Old 10-12-2022, 06:42 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfyxer@gmail.com View Post
I was wondering if adding this to my coach is actually a good addition or just sounds like a good thing to add.
Looking for some feedback from experience on a Vegas 24.1..
Thank you
Jim
jeepfyxer@gmail.com
I had a 2017 Axis 25.1, very similar to yours and traded it for a 2018 Thor Windsport 29m. It is much bigger and the ride was unsteady and was not easy to keep centered on the road. I did lots of looking and asking and did this.
First I put Sumo springs on the front and drove it several trips and it helped alot!!
Second, I had a rear anti-sway bar installed and that made a bigger difference since it now has two, the original in front on the differential and the new Road Master on the back side.
Third, I installed new Bilstein shocks all around and that was the icing on the cake!!! Very smooth and quite now. I'd do it in that order then drive after each upgrade and see if you think you need to do more! Money don't grow on trees at least not here in NC---LOL. Bob Trice
Old 10-12-2022, 08:07 PM   #23

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Most who put on Bilstein shocks seem pleased.

I agree with the order you did it in.....especially since thats how we did it!!!
We've not done shocks yet but tucking this info away for another day!

around here my neighbor says money is growing in his soy bean field....we don't have many trees.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:20 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Most who put on Bilstein shocks seem pleased.

I agree with the order you did it in.....especially since thats how we did it!!!
We've not done shocks yet but tucking this info away for another day!

around here my neighbor says money is growing in his soy bean field....we don't have many trees.
I didn't have to add Bilstein shocks on our MH - they came OEM.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 04:07 PM   #25

THOR #11783
Shocks for vegas

We bought our 2018 Vegas 25 three and were completely surprised at the beautiful ride . Before we put down the final money and sign the documents we had to have them finish the build. The vehicle had lots of problems that the factory did not correct also we found out later that it had been wrecked in the right rear quarter. Which answered the question why it was so far out of alignment and the interior floor was sprung. Once I repaired and replaced all the torn up wiring on the rear tanks everything sort of worked fine. The only modification we had to make ourselves was the steering stabilizer . Using the safe T plus steering stabilizer on the 25 three made it go straight down the road beautifully, at any speed. It was a little tricky getting it completely perfect because you're dealing with such small adjustments . We came out of a vehicle called a Fleetwood pulse which is based on a sprinter chassis, it had a great ride, this 25 three to me equals it and will go down the road just as smooth as you please. But enough about that, my question is has anyone ever tried adjustable style shocks like hydraulic or air shocks. I have never seen anyone ask this question, maybe there's a reason?
Old 10-14-2022, 06:21 PM   #26

THOR #28230
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The E350/E450 chassis does not have a stock stabilizer; it is a steering damper. The F53 doesn't even have that.

The main selling point of the Safe-T-Plus stabilizer is stabilization and steering control in the event of a steer tire blow-out. The better ride is just gravy.
Not splitting hairs, but I'm from the offroad world and have bought many Steering stabilizers/dampers. Some manufacturers call them dampers and others call them stabilizers but both prevent abrupt steering changes. Safe-T-Plus is different. It is a stabilizer that also assists in steering to the center.

I will probably add a Safe-T-Plus as they aren't very expensive or hard to put on; and they definitely should help in blow out situations or cross winds.

I just ordered a 19.5" wheel set with MICHELIN 225/70R19.5 XZE LRG
and hope to have them next week. I think this will be the icing on the cake.

As for gear ratios, the tires are 3" taller than stock but the new trucks base gear ratios on the drive shaft not on what the OEM programs into their computer as older models did. So gearing shouldn't be an issue. My programmer allows me to change tire size for speedometer readings so that will solve the speedometer problem so many complain about.
Old 10-19-2022, 05:31 PM   #27

THOR #28230
To finish off my Thor Vegas 24.1 suspension upgrades, I had a set of 19.5" wheels with MICHELIN 225/70R19.5 XZE LRG tires along with a Safe-T-Plus installed today.

No tire Rubbing whatsoever. At first, I thought there was no way these would fit but they did with no problem. The tires ride stiff, quiet and handle very well. The wheels and tires lifted the truck about 2". I took a short trip down the interstate with a current crosswind of about 15 mph. I felt very safe at 75 mph with no strain to keep it on the road.

I know the manufacturers market each of the items below as the answer to all that is wrong with your e350 but none of the items below made a bigger difference than the other in my opinion. They all made small improvements and together created a big improvement. Don't believe everything you read here or youtube. Maybe my expectations are too high but one thing is for sure, after thousands of dollars, this truck still doesn't ride as well as my 3500 Denali at max payload.

List as installed order:
1. Front Alignment $200
2. Front and rear Workhorse Bilstein HD Shocks $450
3. Front and rear Roadmaster Sway bars $1200
4. Front and rear SumoSprings. $1000
5. Rear Super Steel Track bar $700
6. Safty T Plus $500
7. 19.5" Wheels with MICHELIN 225/70R19.5 XZE LRG $4500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221019_101605.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	39800   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221005_101029 (1).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	39801  

Old 10-19-2022, 06:01 PM   #28

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Sounds like your Vegas is ready to roll. Also looks like you have a tow vehicle ready for about anything. Good job!

Do you do off road?
Old 10-19-2022, 06:22 PM   #29

THOR #28230
Quote:
Sounds like your Vegas is ready to roll. Also looks like you have a tow vehicle ready for about anything. Good job!

Do you do off road?
Off-roading is a shared passion my wife and I have. The jeep and rv allows us to travel the country from west to east coast, ride off-road and see the most beautiful remote places in complete serenity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221003_135531.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	39806  
Old 11-03-2022, 02:46 AM   #30

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #26048
Your vegas looks amazing. If you don't mind , what model Number were the Sumo springs in the front?
SSF-106 -40 blue or SSF-106-47 black
Thank you
Jim
Old 11-03-2022, 10:11 AM   #31

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Johnny View Post
From day one, my 2022 Thor 24.1 drove like trash at speeds over 65 mph. Honestly, they shouldn't be allowed on the road if winds are over 15 mph, and even on a good day, don't even think about flat towing anything.

I have read hundreds of posts, do this, do that and all your dreams will come true. I can tell you without a doubt, to fix a Vegas 24.1, it's going to take more than one modification. After thousands of dollars of upgrades, now I actually look forward to driving mine. Not one upgrade made a huge difference but all combined made the leaning, wagging, and heavy steering disappear.

List as installed order:
1. Front Alignment $200
2. Upgraded tires to Commercial Grade (stiffer sidewalls) $1200
3. Front and rear Workhorse Bilstein HD Shocks (Rear required removing muff) $650
4. Front and rear Roadmaster Sway bars $1200
5. Front and rear SumoSprings. (Rear required cutting and grinding and driver side rear brake and gas lines are located inside the frame. Drill with caution) $1000
6. Rear Super Steel Track bar $700

The bumps are smoother and there is no leaning or wagging in the rear. I can now drive with one hand at speeds over 65, no white knuckle, and I feel very safe. Flat towing my 6k pound jeep is a breeze even in the winds.

I have now moved on to reducing noise/heat and replacing all the stock junk like mattresses, couch, and driver/passenger seats.

$10k plus later, it will be a pretty nice camper.
What is “removed muff”?
Old 11-08-2022, 04:21 AM   #32

Model: AXIS 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #22774
Installing Sumosprings SSR-106-40-1 on 2014 24.1 Thor Axis

I bought the SSR-106-40-1 springs the manufacturer said were the right ones for me. They have yet to arrive but today I looked at the installation instructions for these rear springs and inspected my vehicle where they are to be installed. There is a Thor welded-on vertical coach support directly over the holes in the frame rail where the forward facing bolts for the upper bracket are supposed to go. Has anyone encountered this before and managed a work around? I sent email to sumosprings but no response as yet. My AXIS is on E350 chassis.

I have attached Diagram D from the installation instructions showing 3 factory holes in the frame rail that are to be used to mount the upper bracket.

The picture is from my RV showing the vertical support welded to the frame rail directly over the forward 2 mounting holes. (Sorry the picture rotated 90 degrees when uploaded to forum)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image from Instructions.gif
Views:	28
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	40064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor Axis E350.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	40065  

Old 11-08-2022, 12:19 PM   #33

THOR #28230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big R View Post
I bought the SSR-106-40-1 springs the manufacturer said were the right ones for me. They have yet to arrive but today I looked at the installation instructions for these rear springs and inspected my vehicle where they are to be installed. There is a Thor welded-on vertical coach support directly over the holes in the frame rail where the forward facing bolts for the upper bracket are supposed to go. Has anyone encountered this before and managed a work around? I sent email to sumosprings but no response as yet. My AXIS is on E350 chassis.

I have attached Diagram D from the installation instructions showing 3 factory holes in the frame rail that are to be used to mount the upper bracket.

The picture is from my RV showing the vertical support welded to the frame rail directly over the forward 2 mounting holes. (Sorry the picture rotated 90 degrees when uploaded to forum)

Yep, your gona have to cut a little of the brkt. Not an engineer but from what i can tell, there will be plenty of meat left to support the body. I used a dwalt cordless grinder. It was alot of fun.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:47 AM   #34

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #26048
Question
What model of Sumo did you use SSF-106-40
blue. Or SSF-106-47 black.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:10 AM   #35
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepfyxer@gmail.com View Post
Question
What model of Sumo did you use SSF-106-40
blue. Or SSF-106-47 black.
Same question you asked in post #30 of this thread. Neither post quoted a post by another member so no one knows who your question is directed to.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote