Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40GQ
State: California
THOR #3283
Surge Protection

I'm trying to find out if I need to arrange for external surge protection for my coach.

There are a number of electrical protection devices built into the coach, but I haven't been able to come up with an answer.

I don't mind spending the money to stay protected, but I just want to make sure that it's necessary.

Thanks

2016 Tuscany 40GQ
Jeep Grand Cherokee
5 Dogs!
racinart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:21 PM   #2

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Definitely buy one. The 'tronics are very sensitive. I use the one that also has lights that check parity and ground continuity. Spending $100 now is a cheap insurance policy.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:29 AM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55301-D...urge+protector Here is the one we use. Again, worth the money and piece of mind.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:14 AM   #4

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
I use the Progressive Industries 30 amp model. Hard wired into coach. They have portable models available. Readout shows amp draw, voltage and error codes.

1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:22 AM   #5

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
We use one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Re...tectors+for+rv

It is an investment that can save you a whole bunch of repair cost if one of the questionable campground power systems tries to fry all your electronics.

I also recommend some type of lock, as these expensive devices are easily pilfered if left unsecured.

We use one of these. It keeps the protector locked to your power cord. I also use a steel cable to lock the whole thing to the power pedestal.

Surge Guard Universal Lock Hasp - TRC 34590-001 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

There are advantages to both in coach and at the pedestal. My thoughts are:
if the overvoltage is severe enough, it could set the protector on fire. I'd prefer to have it at the pedestal.

Ken
Old 07-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #6

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
I would not plug in without protection. I've had parks with reversed polarity and other issues. Very good insurance for sure!
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
As has been mentioned before, it's often not about surge protection, it's also about other kinds of protection-- reverse polarity, and low voltage.

In my book, Progressive Industries makes the best. You can buy either a portable unit or one that is permanently wired into your rig. We have the hard-wired one, and it's saved our skin half a dozen times in the 18 months we've had our ACE, all from low voltage issues. You don't want your AC running without enough power.

Give Progressive a call. You'll be impressed with their passion and commitment to keeping your rig safe.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 PM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
As has been mentioned before, it's often not about surge protection, it's also about other kinds of protection-- reverse polarity, and low voltage.

In my book, Progressive Industries makes the best. You can buy either a portable unit or one that is permanently wired into your rig. We have the hard-wired one, and it's saved our skin half a dozen times in the 18 months we've had our ACE, all from low voltage issues. You don't want your AC running without enough power.

Give Progressive a call. You'll be impressed with their passion and commitment to keeping your rig safe.
X2!!
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:25 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
X2!!
X3

Just installed my hard wire Progressive Industries 30 amp this morning. Never plug in without it.

THey have the 50 amp model that you will need. Easy install and they have several u-tube video showing the install.

Took me about 30-45 minutes to install which includes cleaning up and putting the minimal amount of tools away. If I had someone helping to just hold the unit it probably would have taken maybe 20 minutes.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #10

State: Texas
THOR #4900
Hi all brand new RV family here going to buy a 30 amp portable surge guard tomorrow. Is it worth the extra money to get the Progressive 30 amp EMS-PT30C which has great reviews or the or is the Surge Guard ok too it has good reviews it is about a $200.00 difference
Old 08-04-2016, 10:39 PM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
THOR #3016
As I mentioned above, it's not always about surge issues. In fact, more often than not it's about low voltage problems, which may not be evident until your AC won't work because the compressor's died due to low voltage problems over time.

So, if the surge protector that costs $200 less than the Progressive Industries EMS does everything that the PI does, then go for it. If you want to gamble on your rig's electrical systems, go for the less expensive.

Remember, Progressive will replace their equipment FREE if it ever fails -- or acts as a sacrificial lamb to save your electronics.

For the money, I'd pay for the Progressive EMS. I don't like gambling.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #12

Model: Four winds 35SF Super C
State: North Carolina
THOR #4425
Yes! Also have Progressive----we have portable--yes, "expensive" but not compared to your RV electrical system and/or components--it only takes "one time"....be it weather--or the RV park having issues.......
Old 08-04-2016, 11:40 PM   #13

State: Texas
THOR #4900
Thanks good advice as a new owner I sure appreciate it cause there is a lot to learn....replacing electronics is no one we want to gamble with! We are heading out this weekend for the first family get away!
Old 08-04-2016, 11:45 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
We use one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Re...tectors+for+rv

It is an investment that can save you a whole bunch of repair cost if one of the questionable campground power systems tries to fry all your electronics.

I also recommend some type of lock, as these expensive devices are easily pilfered if left unsecured.

We use one of these. It keeps the protector locked to your power cord. I also use a steel cable to lock the whole thing to the power pedestal.

Surge Guard Universal Lock Hasp - TRC 34590-001 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

There are advantages to both in coach and at the pedestal. My thoughts are:
if the overvoltage is severe enough, it could set the protector on fire. I'd prefer to have it at the pedestal.

Ken
Caution:
I just noticed that the description for the surge protector I posted above is for an entirely different item (a PDI Converter). I notified Amazon.

Ken
Old 08-05-2016, 02:40 AM   #15
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have the Surge Guard .. it performs well

Portable Surge Guard with LCD Display, 30 Amp - TRC 34830 - Surge Protectors - Camping World
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #16

Model: Thor 29M Hurricane
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7934
I have a 50 amp system. I assume I need a 50 amp protector. Is it better to go with a internal system or portable? I have a 2017 Thor Hurricane 29M. Is there a built in system? I'll have to look, but maybe someone knows.
Thanks all for the info.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:22 PM   #17
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCK52 View Post
I have a 50 amp system. I assume I need a 50 amp protector. Is it better to go with a internal system or portable? I have a 2017 Thor Hurricane 29M. Is there a built in system? I'll have to look, but maybe someone knows.
Thanks all for the info.
You are going to get feedback from both sides...I use the portable/post mount with the tamper proof cover at the plug in...it has served me well for many years...
Ron
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #18

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Thanks all for the info.
We have the same coach. The 29M does not come with any protection from the factory. I prefer the hardwired system, always hooked up, never worry about it getting stolen, love having the digital readout inside the coach. Several of us have used the Progressive 50 amp hardwired system, mounted the digital readout on the side of the bed. Fairly easy to install, all the connections are under the bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	846746EE-4B94-47E5-BAEE-15D611B06CF7.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	8414

Click image for larger version

Name:	D8BAF900-7AD5-49AC-B7D3-3506AACE25CA.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	8415
Old 01-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Thanks all for the info.
I use the 50 amp progressive external unit. If there is a problem I prefer to keep it outside the coach. It protected me once so far from attaching to a pedestal with low voltage. I had to move to another sight. Without it I would have not noticed low voltage until damage was done. I use a cable bike lock to secure to the post.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #20

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I have the 50 amp Progressive portable & portable due to 3 rv trades in 10 years & only paid once. Also in that 10 years (fulltimers) have never once locked it or have it walk away, I figure if they want it they don't have to cut/steal my 50 amp cord (which is almost as expensive as the protector) to get it.
Get whichever meets your needs, but GET ONE. Anyone owning a rv it should be mandatory.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote