Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2017, 04:10 AM   #1

State: Alaska
THOR #8813
Thor TV's and BluRay

Why do they put in non smart tv's and DVD players. What do they possibly save? I didn't even know you could get these anymore. Really THOR!!!!!!! Just charge $10 more and give us what is up to date for 2018. What a joke. Now I have to buy Smart Devices for my $100K list price RV. SEIKI what the hell brand is that?

Old 08-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
Welcome to the RV world, they will cut costs where ever they can to save a penny.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
you bought the coach without looking at it, and now want to rant and complain about it? why would they believe that 'everyone' cares about having a 'smart' tv and a 'blueray' dvd?

I wouldn't want or care about either.

and yes, pay for a $110,000 list price coach and get all the bells and whistles you want... you can't blame 'Thor' for 'skimping on price if you did the same!
Old 08-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You realize smart TVs require an Internet connection. Last I checked, they didn't include an Internet connection with their motorhomes either.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 29M
State: New York
THOR #8264
I purchased an Amazon Fire Tv and plugged it into my hdmi switcher and now all my tvs are smart tvs. Less than $40. I did the same thing with my Dish Network reciever and it feeds all my tvs.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 PM   #6

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
most people complain about not being able to get an old school standard def cable channel, smart TV is next decade's concern.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #7

THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
I purchased an Amazon Fire Tv and plugged it I to my hdmi switcher and now all my tvs are smart tvs. Less than $40. I did the same thing with my Dish Network reciever and it feeds all my tvs.
best solution, combined with hotspot from a phone.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:17 PM   #8

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
you bought the coach without looking at it, and now want to rant and complain about it? why would they believe that 'everyone' cares about having a 'smart' tv and a 'blueray' dvd?

I wouldn't want or care about either.

and yes, pay for a $110,000 list price coach and get all the bells and whistles you want... you can't blame 'Thor' for 'skimping on price if you did the same!

100K skimping on price? Plus they all come with these cheap TV's whether you paid 100K or 1 million.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #9

THOR #8813
Thor TV's and BluRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wredman View Post
most people complain about not being able to get an old school standard def cable channel, smart TV is next decade's concern.

What this is 2018. Go to best buy and see what tv's are for sale. Who cares about cable. I don't even have that at home.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #10

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
You realize smart TVs require an Internet connection. Last I checked, they didn't include an Internet connection with their motorhomes either.

You use your phone and send to tv. They require WI FI.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:30 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
When I go camping, television is the last thing I worry about working. Don't we go RVing to get away from the norm?
Old 08-29-2017, 01:33 PM   #12

THOR #8813
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin View Post
When I go camping, television is the last thing I worry about working. Don't we go RVing to get away from the norm?

You are correct. I haven't used them yet on several trips. It's just amazing how THOR puts this crap in their products.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860

"Don't pet the sweaty things... and don't sweat the petty things..."
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:49 PM   #14

THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
What this is 2018. Go to best buy and see what tv's are for sale. Who cares about cable. I don't even have that at home.
that was a knock at the #1 complaint about the provided TVs, not having a QAM tuner. The SD remark was probably an exaggeration.

I am in your camp, give me the new tech stuff. However, do not rely on the park internet, no way that can be expected to provide streaming. I utilize tablets with Netflix downloading/storage capabilities when I have internet, then HDMI to my TVs for playback without internet service.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Wow: Our previous RV's (two TT's and a 5er) did not come with any TV at all (and they were all old enough that they had a big hole for a tube TV).

So now the RV manufacturer decides that TVs are cheap enough to throw one, or a few in and people still complain LOL. No pleasing everybody.

Remember that for a while there--at least on the towables--they also included a stereo that could do surround sound. So you had a cheap crappy flat screen TV and a cheap crappy stereo that could do surround sound. Don't see that much anymore.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:27 PM   #16

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #8264
Personally the quality of the tvs does not bother me, except for the fact I can not find universal remote codes except for power on/off. What does irk me is the quality of the dash stereo and speakers. Sounds more like a big transistor radio. The cost of replacing it far exceeds the tv cost. Being a retired recording engineer I find it unlistenable, even if I could hear it at highway speeds.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #17

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I camp to get away of the norm at home but i do like to watch a movie with the dvd or tv specially at night. I replace all 3 tvs with non smart tvs and bought a dvd player for the livingroom and one for the bedroom. Satellite is also coming soon.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
We sort of figure that we bought the RV to go places, see things, and do things.
I can sit at home, and watch TV!

But that's just me... everyone has to make their own choices.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #19
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgorski View Post
You use your phone and send to tv. They require WI FI.
They dont require WiFi if you connect your phone to your television with a cable.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #20

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
Personally the quality of the tvs does not bother me, except for the fact I can not find universal remote codes except for power on/off. What does irk me is the quality of the dash stereo and speakers. Sounds more like a big transistor radio. The cost of replacing it far exceeds the tv cost. Being a retired recording engineer I find it unlistenable, even if I could hear it at highway speeds.
I can relate to the sound system remark above. The Hurricane 29M has the driver/passenger speakers half covered by the overhead bed!! What "engineer" dreamed that up? Also, the front unit is connected to the sofa speakers with no switch to turn them off. So when the driver can finally hear what is coming from his speakers, the people riding behind him are being blown off the sofa by the sound.

I'm figuring on a different system, just haven't got very far on it. Conceptually, I like independent listening systems for the driver and passenger, possibly chair mounted. Then be able to cut in or out the auxillary speakers, with some volume control on them. Not sure how to make this come true, but giving it some thought.

Also doesn't make sense to have a front and rear system that can't be coupled to one sound source.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote