Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2021, 01:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Suspension at limit when empty?

Hello,
I searched for previous posts on this and could not find any.
I just noticed my rear axle is riding pressing the bumper stops and the front suspension is 1/8 in from the bump stops.

I'm surprised because, according with the sticker, the cargo carrying capacity is 3900lbs+ and it has a washer/dryer prep but we don't have washer/dryer so I was expecting more "room" for the suspension to work.

Is this normal?

MH runs great, I only noticed that because I was looking under planning a mod...

Tks,

RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:24 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Hello,
I searched for previous posts on this and could not find any.
I just noticed my rear axle is riding pressing the bumper stops and the front suspension is 1/8 in from the bump stops.

I'm surprised because, according with the sticker, the cargo carrying capacity is 3900lbs+ and it has a washer/dryer prep but we don't have washer/dryer so I was expecting more "room" for the suspension to work.

Is this normal?

MH runs great, I only noticed that because I was looking under planning a mod...

Tks,
The multi leaf springs are quite stiff. The constant rate front springs are rated at about 650 lbs per inch deflection and the rear about 1350 lbs per inch. So loading 650 lbs on the front springs would deflect the springs about 1/2"; adding 1350 lbs to the rear would defect the springs about 1/2". So it would take a ton of weight to compress all four springs 1/2".
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:01 AM   #3

THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The multi leaf springs are quite stiff. The constant rate front springs are rated at about 650 lbs per inch deflection and the rear about 1350 lbs per inch. So loading 650 lbs on the front springs would deflect the springs about 1/2"; adding 1350 lbs to the rear would defect the springs about 1/2". So it would take a ton of weight to compress all four springs 1/2".
That is good information but I guess you need to know what is the travel length of the suspension when the chassis is bare to compare to the current situation.
My question is if this is normal.

As I said, the sticker says my CCC is 3900lbs so by your numbers 1350 in the rear plus 650 in the front would mean a 1/2" travel in all four corners....
so if I'm empty, I should have almost one inch of travel before the bump stops .... or travel is considering the bump stops?

Have anyone looked at their suspension and confirmed the rear axle is sitting on the bumper stop when the MH is empty?
Sorry for the question, this is our first MH and before that I only had trucks...
Old 10-21-2021, 04:46 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds Siesta 24 SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #13919
Does your rear suspension have Sumo springs by any chance? If it does the rear springs will be almost touching the Sumo's.
Harry
Old 10-21-2021, 11:59 AM   #5

THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryTh View Post
Does your rear suspension have Sumo springs by any chance? If it does the rear springs will be almost touching the Sumo's.
Harry
No I don't have Sumo springs . The suspension is 100% original.
Old 10-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #2121
Have you weighed motorhome and compared to GVWR, evaluating each axle individually? That’s what would be most important to me. The 3,900 pound OCCC rating sounds quite good, but I would want to confirm there wasn’t a mistake made on the sticker, or that I had inadvertently overloaded the motorhome.

It is possible new F-53 bump stops may be different, designed more like Sumo. Regardless, I’d want to know actual loads and ratings.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:06 PM   #7

THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Have you weighed motorhome and compared to GVWR, evaluating each axle individually? That’s what would be most important to me. The 3,900 pound OCCC rating sounds quite good, but I would want to confirm there wasn’t a mistake made on the sticker, or that I had inadvertently overloaded the motorhome.

It is possible new F-53 bump stops may be different, designed more like Sumo. Regardless, I’d want to know actual loads and ratings.
I never weighted the MH for we travel light, most of the cargo bays are 1/2 empty and what we leave there are beach/lawn chairs, etc.

The MH is EMPTY of any clothes, food, etc expect for 1/3 of water in the water tank and the axle is touching the bumper stops so this is the reason for my question: Is this normal?
That means that is is normal for the MH to travel with the axle seating on the bumper stops.
If it is not normal I have a problem and I need to figure out.

All of this regardless how close to the GVWR because the MH is empty of cargo.

Tks
Old 10-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #8

THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Here are some pictures of the rear axle:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211021_085448.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	34413   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211021_085438.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	34414  

Old 10-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Be aware when you get the visual feedback you are requesting, that Ford upgraded (modified) the F-53 suspension when they also went to V8 engine. I recall a review comment about bump stops being different, but can’t recall details.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:49 PM   #10

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
I never weighted the MH for we travel light, most of the cargo bays are 1/2 empty a[COLOR="Red"][/COLOR]nd what we leave there are beach/lawn chairs, etc.

The MH is EMPTY of any clothes, food, etc expect for 1/3 of water in the water tank and the axle is touching the bumper stops so this is the reason for my question: Is this normal?
That means that is is normal for the MH to travel with the axle seating on the bumper stops.
If it is not normal I have a problem and I need to figure out.

All of this regardless how close to the GVWR because the MH is empty of cargo.

Tks
It doesn't make any difference what you "think" it weighs, you should know. Going to the scales lets you know what it weighs rather than guessing. Some C's especially will have published CCC that looks great but the when facts come out it can only be added to the front. Course very little space to add up front so the numbers become useless. Getting side weights is also very useful because some RVs have all the heavy stuff on one side. Never know that unless you take a trip to the scales. My previous Itasca DP was 700# heavier on the right side.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #11

THOR #19887
Ok,
I got in touch with Thor and they said it is normal for the bumpers to be touching the axle...
I specifically asked about an empty MH situation and they said it is normal.

Thank you everybody for your input and responses.

Rgds,
Old 10-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #12

THOR #19887
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
It doesn't make any difference what you "think" it weighs, you should know. Going to the scales lets you know what it weighs rather than guessing. Some C's especially will have published CCC that looks great but the when facts come out it can only be added to the front. Course very little space to add up front so the numbers become useless. Getting side weights is also very useful because some RVs have all the heavy stuff on one side. Never know that unless you take a trip to the scales. My previous Itasca DP was 700# heavier on the right side.
I understand you point but lets say I go to the scales with the MH empty (as it is today) and then the number come and I'm at GVWR WITH THE MH EMPTY.
What is your suggestion? Get rid of one of the slides so I can add water to the tank?

Just kidding....

As I posted above, Thor confirmed that is a normal situation ...
I'm happy with that.
Old 10-21-2021, 02:21 PM   #13

THOR #22586
Quote:
I understand you point but lets say I go to the scales with the MH empty (as it is today) and then the number come and I'm at GVWR WITH THE MH EMPTY.
What is your suggestion? Get rid of one of the slides so I can add water to the tank?

Just kidding....

I'm happy with that.
My suggestion for a trip to the scales is so you know what it weighs and also importantly where cargo can be safely loaded. As you well know, a dealer/manufacturer will say "that's normal" rather than admit they don't know or that the original design was flawed. CAT scales trip costs $12-15 and then you know. The scales nearest me I can get half the RV on the sections so I did a second weigh, around $5, putting the appropriate axles on the scales sections.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-21-2021, 08:38 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
As others have said load it for travel and then take it across the scales. Until you do that you know nothing about you rig’s weight or what the correct tire pressures should be.
Old 10-22-2021, 02:24 AM   #15

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:

Just kidding....

I'm happy with that.
You might consider dumping the gas, and all 6 tires, that should get you under weight and you can keep the slides and all the fresh water you need

I get the technicality, and principal of the weighing but the more I read, the more I am convinced I will never ever get a weigh unless stranded at a Loves with nothing else to do.

Short of towing something, which I never do with the RV, I am going to always pack my luggage and whatever I wish to carry and I am going to always keep my tires at 82. If that breaks something I will just have to get it fixed

The only true variability for us is when we 1st leave we are full of gas & water and during the course of the trip we may actually get 400 - 700 pounds lighter. When I look at Goodyear weight ratings for my tires it does not equate to a level where I would need to change the air pressure. But lets say I did need to add few pounds (technically speaking), when the temperature heats up I may approach 92 psi anyway in each tire anyway; which is 10 psi more!!! If Google is your friend, the Yellow sticker is your Lawyer
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #16
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I weighed my unit on the way home from picking it up from the dealer. So glad that I did. Takes the guessing out of much of it. It's nice to know where your at in the beginning. You CANNOT go buy what the sticker says.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #17

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
I weighed my unit on the way home from picking it up from the dealer. So glad that I did. Takes the guessing out of much of it. It's nice to know where your at in the beginning. You CANNOT go buy what the sticker says.

But you should be able to rely on it BUT it doesn't say where anything can be loaded. The way many C are built, much of the heavy stuff is in the rear; water, appliances, storage bins, etc. Up front is relatively fixed weights, engine, furniture, etc. There was a recent thread about a certain manufacturer that was sued about weights and allegations of a falsified "Tire and Loading" sticker (yellow one).

I weighed the Omni mostly loaded for travel. 1/2 fresh water, empty waste, 1/2 refrigerator load, pantry loaded, kitchen items. Didn't have the operating gear of hoses, cord, leveling blocks or towing equipment, and just me. I was under my GVWR by almost 1400#, 2500 under RAWR, and 1800 under FAWR. It is comforting to know that I have the capacities to handle what I carry. It really amazes me that some people are so adamant about not weighing and finding out "the numbers". Maybe afraid that they find out they can't safely load what they want and are over on everything including tires.

I mused in a recent thread that it would be nice to have a weight ticket on every RV sold. One like a CAT scales ticket or even better one with 4 corner weights and a standardized loading such as full fuel, propane, etc. Thread turned into a complaint of "guvment" overreach. Yet we already can't go where we want without "showing your papers" or complying with the latest mandate. At any rate we are still at least a partially free country and can do what, or not what we want.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 10-22-2021, 11:45 AM   #18

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Ok,
I got in touch with Thor and they said it is normal for the bumpers to be touching the axle...
I specifically asked about an empty MH situation and they said it is normal.

Thank you everybody for your input and responses.

Rgds,
It may very well be normal. I have the shorter F53 chassis. My stop in front and rear are not nearly as tall as yours. I’ve got almost 2 1/2 inches of travel. But my stops are solid rubber nubs. Yours look like they may be hollow (air filled). In fact I wonder if yours weren’t added by Thor to take care of all the weight they add rear of the rear axle. Get it weighed or don’t get it weighed. My guess is that Thor knew they were maxing the rear axle weight and added those stops. They may also control the body roll. I dont recall if you mentioned that the same stops are on the front. I think more importantly you should make sure the rear tires are inflated properly to handle your weight. My A27 has a GVWR of 16,000 lbs. with only me, our stuff, 80 gals of Fuel, and 50 gallons of fresh water, I come in at 15, 980 lbs. 5780 on front and 10, 200 on rear. So I’m maxed. But the tires have way more capacity. And I figure the frame, suspension and rest of chassis can handle a few extra lbs when we take off.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #19
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
[/COLOR]

But you should be able to rely on it BUT it doesn't say where anything can be loaded. The way many C are built, much of the heavy stuff is in the rear; water, appliances, storage bins, etc. Up front is relatively fixed weights, engine, furniture, etc. There was a recent thread about a certain manufacturer that was sued about weights and allegations of a falsified "Tire and Loading" sticker (yellow one).

I weighed the Omni mostly loaded for travel. 1/2 fresh water, empty waste, 1/2 refrigerator load, pantry loaded, kitchen items. Didn't have the operating gear of hoses, cord, leveling blocks or towing equipment, and just me. I was under my GVWR by almost 1400#, 2500 under RAWR, and 1800 under FAWR. It is comforting to know that I have the capacities to handle what I carry. It really amazes me that some people are so adamant about not weighing and finding out "the numbers". Maybe afraid that they find out they can't safely load what they want and are over on everything including tires.

I mused in a recent thread that it would be nice to have a weight ticket on every RV sold. One like a CAT scales ticket or even better one with 4 corner weights and a standardized loading such as full fuel, propane, etc. Thread turned into a complaint of "guvment" overreach. Yet we already can't go where we want without "showing your papers" or complying with the latest mandate. At any rate we are still at least a partially free country and can do what, or not what we want.
That's why I live in Tennessee. I can go anywhere.
One of two shots, got COVID month later, now have natural immunity.
I will not go anywhere it's required.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:29 PM   #20

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
That's why I live in Tennessee. I can go anywhere.
One of two shots, got COVID month later, now have natural immunity.
I will not go anywhere it's required.
I carefully select my travel locations based on that and unfriendly constitutional protections. AL also a good place to live.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ