Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 01:08 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #11509
Tankless Water Heater Thermostat Failure

I have a 2017 Quantum RS 26B with a tankless water heater.
According to manual Pg 15, at this link, https://girardgroupcompanies.com/sto...24-ENG-694.pdf, you can "Select the desired temperature by adjusting the temperature setting up or down. The UPC settings are from 95 to 124. The unit will maintain the set temperature"
Mine does not will not maintain the set temperature. If I adjust it to 95, the indicator shows 95 for a second or two, then quickly rises to its maximum instead or remaining at 95, and the water is scorching hot.

Old 09-07-2020, 01:36 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Tankless Water Heater Thermostat Failure

There are about 3,210 posts on this subject so if you do a search you will find numerous threads with suggestions and remedies. It is all dependent on pressure and flow.

- Make sure you have ~50psi water pressure. For city water use a pressure regulator to verify your pressure and to make sure it is not too high (can damage plumbing) or too low (can prevent tankless heater from working properly).

- Do not use the cold water with the hot. Set your desired temperature and use the hot water only.

- Do not run water at any other faucet when using the hot water.

- Be sure to pull the strainers / flow restrictor on all the faucets and shower head and clean them from construction debris and other contaminants.

- Pull the strainer in the fresh water pump and make sure it is clean.

- Make sure your house water filter is not clogged and restricting flow.

- Check the water valve on the back of the water heater to make sure it is about half way open.

If you have adequate pressure and flow, it should work just fine. I can take a 30 minute shower and never run out of hot water.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:05 AM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #11509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
There are about 3,210 posts on this subject so if you do a search you will find numerous threads with suggestions and remedies. It is all dependent on pressure and flow.

- Make sure you have ~50psi water pressure. For city water use a pressure regulator to verify your pressure and to make sure it is not too high (can damage plumbing) or too low (can prevent tankless heater from working properly).

- Do not use the cold water with the hot. Set your desired temperature and use the hot water only.

- Do not run water at any other faucet when using the hot water.

- Be sure to pull the strainers / flow restrictor on all the faucets and shower head and clean them from construction debris and other contaminants.

- Pull the strainer in the fresh water pump and make sure it is clean.

- Make sure your house water filter is not clogged and restricting flow.

- Check the water valve on the back of the water heater to make sure it is about half way open.

If you have adequate pressure and flow, it should work just fine. I can take a 30 minute shower and never run out of hot water.
I have read many of the posts concerning this subject. When taking a shower, we only open the hot water faucet. We get plenty of how water. Problem is the water is too hot. The water temperature will not go down when turning down the temperature with the thermostat. The thermostat reads a low 95 degrees momentarily, then climbs to 124.