Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Nevada
THOR #5937
Grey tanks

OK I am totally confused now, I have 2016 Challenger 37KT with two grey Holding tanks, I purchased a separate set of Sewer hose and a Y Adapter to drain both Grey tanks, during an experiment today I discovered even if I close the front galley gate valve the the front galley drains through the rear grey tank, why do I need to use two separate
hoses and just what does the front (galley) valve do?

Old 01-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #2

State: Texas
THOR #1183
One grey tank (the front one) is just for washer/dryer in the pantry cabinet. If you don't have washer installed there will be nothing to dump from the front tank. Don't need the Y.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
I am guessing that is just on the KT? On mine, the mid grey tank is for the kitchen, mid bathroom sink, and W/D hookup. The rear grey tank is for the shower and rear bathroom sink. I would recommend you request your specific diagrams from Thor so you know for sure.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #4

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
I'm going to have to check my drawings I got from Thor again. As far as I recall mine only has one grey tank for all three sinks, shower, and W-D hookups.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I'm going to have to check my drawings I got from Thor again. As far as I recall mine only has one grey tank for all three sinks, shower, and W-D hookups.
Just did quick look and KT seems to be only one with 80 gal gray/two tanks
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #6

THOR #5937
That make sense as the previous owner did have a WASHER but removed it before we purchased.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:48 PM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My 2015 37ND has 2 40 gallon grey tanks which drain separately. The front grey tank is for the kitchen and bathroom sinks (single bath) and the rear grey tank is for the shower, outdoor kitchen and washer/dryer if I were to install a set.

The front grey tank is the one that uses the same dump (separate valve) as the black tank.

I second the comment to get the drawings for the coach so you know for sure. Thor couldn't tell me how the tanks were plumbed and I had to investigate on my own.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #8

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
If I recall correctly I only have one grey that holds about 40 gallons, so I am pretty sure there would be only one grey gate valve/line. We haven't installed washer/dryer yet so that is the only plumbing on the rig that hasn't been utilized.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #9

THOR #5937
Grey Tank

Thanks to everyone who had replied to my question it appears that the prior owner had a washer and dryer and that the front grey tank was used for that, I have Closed the valve on that tank used the shower bathroom sink kitchen sink for several days and nothing drained out of that tank when I open the valve so even though Thor says you have 2 40 gallon gray tanks The way that mine is plumbed I really only have one
Old 06-05-2017, 12:16 AM   #10

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
On my 2016 KT 37, I don't have a washer, but I still have to drain both tanks. Very annoying.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:03 AM   #11

State: Illinois
THOR #7157
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
One grey tank (the front one) is just for washer/dryer in the pantry cabinet. If you don't have washer installed there will be nothing to dump from the front tank. Don't need the Y.

I have a 2017- 37 KT and my kitchen sink drains to the front grey tank. We don't have a washer dryer. We do not have the front and rear tank piped together either. It is a pain to have to use a wye and the extra hose.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #12

Model: challenger 37YT
State: Michigan
THOR #6874
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Just did quick look and KT seems to be only one with 80 gal gray/two tanks

I have a 37YT and it has two tanks. Both forward tanks are grey. The front ( a 3"valve) is for the kitchen sink and the shower, the other is for the washer and bathroom sinks. The black tank discharge is by itself located behind the wheel.
It was very confusing at first because although both grey tanks come together with a common discharge, there was a black handled 3" valve and a 1 1/2" grey handled valve. Come to find out they were supposed to replace the black handle with a grey one. Sure wish I had a grey tank hooked to the black water discharge because it's so much easier to rinse out the hose.