Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Quantum rw28
State: Louisiana
THOR #22150
Tankless water heater

Hi everyone, I have a Thor Quantum rw28 with a tankless water heater. I would like to know if anyone can tell me if there is a flow control valve on the water heater. The issue I have is the water temperature in the shower is difficult to control. It is either real hot or real cold, not much in between. I have read that most tankless heaters are set to max flow which will cause this issue and you must adjust the flow valve slightly. I have looked at the water heater but don't see anything that looks like a valve. Any advice?

Old 02-12-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you found the panel where you can set the hot water temperature?
If you have: try setting it at about 105 degrees (for starters); and try out the shower while using ONLY the hot water control. (Leave the cold water one alone)
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:19 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Tankless water heaters work differently from the tank type heaters we are used to. With a tank type heater, the hot water is at a constant temperature and we usually blend cold water with the hot in any proportion we want to get the temperature and flow that we want.

Tankless heaters are set to a single temperature, but if the water flow is too low the heating element won't come on and you get cold water. So blending doesn't work, you need a certain minimum flow for the heating element to come on and that minimum flow is pretty high.

So set the water temp to 105-115, turn the hot water on full and then blend a little cold to get the desired temperature. If the total flow is too high, then back down on the temp so you don't have to blend any cold water.

If the flow is still too high then change out your shower head to a low flow type and hope that the flow is enough to keep the heating element going.

David
Old 02-12-2021, 03:30 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Tankless water heaters need about 55psi pressure to operate correctly. I use an adjustable water valve at the city water connection and set it to 55psi. I then set the hot water temp to 108 or so. I only use the hot water and do not turn on the cold water. If you turn on the cold to blend, you will get a sudden burst of cold water until the heater catches up. By turning on the cold, it bypasses the heater momentarily allowing the cold to push through without heating.

Paul
Old 02-12-2021, 04:11 PM   #5

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copterdoc View Post
Hi everyone, I have a Thor Quantum rw28 with a tankless water heater. I would like to know if anyone can tell me if there is a flow control valve on the water heater. The issue I have is the water temperature in the shower is difficult to control. It is either real hot or real cold, not much in between. I have read that most tankless heaters are set to max flow which will cause this issue and you must adjust the flow valve slightly. I have looked at the water heater but don't see anything that looks like a valve. Any advice?
In answer to your question above in BOLD
- I have seen this issue discussed on the FORUM and if I recall, there is a way to increase the flow from the tankless hot water heater.
- There is a valve on the unit that can be adjusted. I have never found it necessary to adjust mine

Use the SEARCH function to find a detailed description of how to.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
The flow adjustment is typically on the back of the heater right at the water connections to the unit. Looks like a knob with a couple of marks on it.
Lots of discussions on this topic. Running only hot at 100 to 104 degrees continuously works the best but if you boon dock a lot and want to save water and grey tank space then you will get the burst of cold about 20 seconds after you turn the shower back on!