Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: California
THOR #3353
Internet Data Limits

Hello Everyone!

I currently have the Verizon "beyond unlimited" plan. 2 phones, and a mifi...which really isn't unlimited.

I'm a TV watcher and need internet. I run of of data on the mifi after one movie, plus some. I can use my phone as a mobile hot spot, but I should reserve some phone data for emergencies.

What's a solution?

Old 12-15-2019, 07:37 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Pack some Blu-Ray discs...
Old 12-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
911 on the phone is for emergencies.

Never heard of a "data emergency".
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
A few years ago I was talking to Verizon about upgrading my MiFi and going with an unlimited plan. A very honest rep informed me that unlimited is not unlimited. At the time unlimited was limited to approx 25 GB. That is similar to the lifetime warranty rackets where a "lifetime" is defined as 7 years.

If we are anticipating watching that much streaming TV I will download the programs to the ipad before we leave home and then connect the ipad to the television for watching.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:38 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo
THOR #3353
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Data emergency is when you have no data left, and you need video to help solve a problem on the road. My phone was tapped out on data. Luckily, the DW's phone had gigs left on it.
Old 12-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That's an idea: pack along a second phone...
Old 12-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We have Verizon and have a legacy plan that allows partial data carry over from month to month. We generally don’t use a lot of data - we have a base 16GB plus carry over and usually have 25-30GB at the start of each cycle. Verizon must think we have too good of a deal as they keep trying the get me to “upgrade”. From what I can deconstruct from their highly obscure plan descriptions, I would get less of a deal for another $20 month.

At home we have had DirecTV for many years but after the first of the year they will be getting that “bye” phone call. We are moving to a Tablo and antenna for locals and Sling TV for “cable” channels. This will save us about $1000 per year. During our testing phase I’ve used Apple TV and Roku. The user interface for the Roku seems to work better. I use my iPad Pro quite a bit and the apps on The iPad are easier to use than the Apple TV

The Tablo records locals to a hard drive and allows remote access. Sling we can get anywhere. So we may be finding that we will use up a lot more phone data.
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:46 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
I’ve been watching a YouTube channel titled Technomadia. They cover a lot about mobile internet for RVers. About once a quarter, they do a video detailing what are the current options for mobile internet. I’d go check it out if you want to find out more about what the options are.

In fact, they have a website (https://www.rvmobileinternet.com) that covers the topic in great detail.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #9

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: Nebraska
THOR #3161
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSexton View Post
I’ve been watching a YouTube channel titled Technomadia. They cover a lot about mobile internet for RVers. About once a quarter, they do a video detailing what are the current options for mobile internet. I’d go check it out if you want to find out more about what the options are.

In fact, they have a website (https://www.rvmobileinternet.com) that covers the topic in great detail.
There is also a Facebook group called Internet for RVers & Cruisers which has a lot of info too.
Old 12-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #10

Model: 25.4
THOR #7440
I also have a Verizon MIFI with the unlimited plan, never knew unlimited was limited, I have never had an issue with going over on data with the plan, if I ever got a bill for extra I would be back at Verizon telling them where to shove the bill if I did, I priced out the antenna unit that mounts on the roof of an RV and it was over $800.00 plus you had to pay one of the satellite companies for their monthly service and add the pay channels on top of that, seams like every year the price goes up and the quality goes down. Maybe when Elon Musk gets his Starlink system on line the competition will force the others to be more competivie,
Old 12-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #11
KHL

State: Virginia
THOR #2736
Try ATT unlimited

We hav had great data from ATT unlimited. We have the Mobley device, which is attached to the computer hookup on the steering column. To protect the rv battery, the Mobley cuts off every two hours, but we have not been throttled down yet.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #12

State: Arizona
THOR #14338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hello Everyone!

I currently have the Verizon "beyond unlimited" plan. 2 phones, and a mifi...which really isn't unlimited.

I'm a TV watcher and need internet. I run of of data on the mifi after one movie, plus some. I can use my phone as a mobile hot spot, but I should reserve some phone data for emergencies.

What's a solution?
HI,Wife ands I have 2 phones.We use US mobile. Both have 5 Gig of data.US Mobile has both T-Mobile and Verizon as service. We each own our phones both are Oneplus 6 and 7 pro.Best phones ever! US mobile costs us 30.00 each a month.More data can be added over each as needed.We just finished 2 months in the cold in Ohio and Ny visiting relatives in our axis 24.1. Between wifi at rv parks and our phones as hot spots,we binge watched 4 years of Outlander over 2 months and never ran out of data.We stream data on a ROKU.
Investigate using the less expensive services like US mobile ,also UNREAL mobile is AT_T connected and even cheaper,but we live in AZ .in the Desert AT-T lacks service.
Good luck!
Old 12-21-2019, 08:46 PM   #13

State: Florida
THOR #16806
We dropped the mifi and use our Verizon unlimited as a hotspot for tv... that too is not totally unlimited but slows speeds at a certain level but doesn’t really affect anything... maybe a little blurry. We wish that the sat dish & directv would offer WiFi... but alas, not yet! It’s all about the money. Waiting on new fiber optic cable down the road to our RV resort soon!!
Old 12-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #14

State: Alabama
THOR #8016
AT&T Now

We have AT&T services (not as good of coverage as Verizon) and also have AT&T Now. What’s good about this is when streaming AT&T Now, the data doesn’t count against our limit. We plug our phones into the TV with a lightning to HDMI cable and watch anything we want.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #4796
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
A few years ago I was talking to Verizon about upgrading my MiFi and going with an unlimited plan. A very honest rep informed me that unlimited is not unlimited. At the time unlimited was limited to approx 25 GB. That is similar to the lifetime warranty rackets where a "lifetime" is defined as 7 years.
We have an unlimited plan with Verizon, and it's indeed unlimited. The only hitch with unlimited plans is they have a limit of data-per-month, and afterward you will experience slower speeds until the end of the billing cycle. Your 'very honest' salesman steered you wrong.
2011 Jeep Wrangler toad
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #16

Model: windsport hurricane 34f
State: Tennessee
THOR #9067
So verizons unlimited packages now offer unlimited data but premium speed (about 10 or 12 Mbps)is at 25 gig or 50 gig,25 g is at 720p,50gig is at 480p after that you still have unlimited data but at about 700kps,both plans come with free disney+
Old 12-21-2019, 11:28 PM   #17

State: Nevada
THOR #17459
We, like you, have multiple Verizon devices. We saw an advertisement for Sprint offering 100 GB per month plus rollover for $60 a month. We went and purchased two MiFi Devices each with the 100 GB and use one for our TV with YouTubeTV and the over for our work network device. We currently have about 150 GB of bandwidth available with the rollover on the TV MiFi watching about 10-15 shows weekly at 480 resolution. I haven't checked the MiFi that we use for our data but I would guess it has a ton of available as well. Knowing what I know now I could have just purchased one MiFi and account. We use a NUC type pc device as a connection to our big screen TV and could multiplex it to all TVs if we wanted. Absolutely love using the Sprint devices for this use-case. Keep in mind that we work from the road so the massive internet availability is a requirement for us.
Old 12-22-2019, 12:25 AM   #18

Model: Tuscany 40DX
THOR #16060
I spent a good bit of time researching this issue and ended up with the Sprint hotspot sold through FMCA. It's a flat $49 per month and thus far has not had any throttling (data limits). I also have the Winegard Connect2.0 which allows either an AT&T or Verizon card, which both plans are "supposed" to be unlimited though they are not, both throttle back (are really slow) after 25mg used per month. I have the three options for areas that are weak with one carrier and not with the other. After four months of full-time travel I highly recommend the Sprint hotspot sold through FMCA.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:11 AM   #19

State: Illinois
THOR #11369
We have four devices with Internet Access on our Verizon unlimited plan. We had problems running out of data on the MiFi, then would run through all of the data available on our 2 cell phones and 1 tablet. We use an Amazon Fire stick to access video streaming services. I discovered that I can set the video quality to "Good" if I activated the data monitoring feature for the Fire Stick. I've had good results and have yet to be "throttled down" on every device each month.
Old 12-22-2019, 02:55 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
maybe look at other companies... I have T mobile 50+ ( $70 2 lines unlimited everything) and pay extra $15 a month for 20 gb hotspot, low speed unlimited is included,,on 1 line. I do stream my phone to the tv often, have yet to be shut down,,..