Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2023, 06:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Thor ACE 30.3 Inverter?

My 2018 ACE 30.3 has a 1000w inverter installed from the factory. I have unplugged from shore power with the generator off and attempted to find something the inverter runs. Then inverter control panel shows 12.5v - 13V but shows no power draw. Refrigerator runs on propane microwave and TVs have no power. I have checked the inside outlets I can reach with the Slides closed and none of them have power. I have yet to check the outside outlet or the one under edge of the bed.

So here is my question, "What is supposed to be connected to the inverter?"

Honestly, I would expect more than just one outlet connected to the inverter I would be very surprised if the outside outlet is the one connected to the inverter and just as surprised if the bed outlet is the only one. If nothing is connected the inverter what is the point of having it?

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
My 2018 ACE 30.3 has a 1000w inverter installed from the factory. I have unplugged from shore power with the generator off and attempted to find something the inverter runs. Then inverter control panel shows 12.5v - 13V but shows no power draw. Refrigerator runs on propane microwave and TVs have no power. I have checked the inside outlets I can reach with the Slides closed and none of them have power. I have yet to check the outside outlet or the one under edge of the bed.

Honestly, I would expect more than just one outlet connected to the inverter I would be very surprised if the outside outlet is the one connected to the inverter and just as surprised if the bed outlet is the only one. If nothing is connected the inverter what is the point of having it?
Are your TVs 12 or 120 volt?

Download and look at your electrical diagrams. They will show which outlets are on the inverter.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:36 PM   #3

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

You have an outdoor kitchen, I bet the inverter powers the fridge
Old 01-25-2023, 08:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Yep, the whole purpose of that inverter - the outside fridge. But generally they also power the TV circuits if factory installed and nobody's monkeyed with the wiring.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:03 PM   #5

THOR #20274
There have been so many posts about inverters on here. Since I don't have one the only thing I remember hearing about was the fridge
Old 01-26-2023, 08:04 PM   #6

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Since it is cold, I didn't even think of that fridge. I have verified, none of the inside 120v TVs are powered by the inverter, also I did not check the outside outlet, the outside outlet in the outside kitchen, the outside TV, or the underbed outlet yet. But if the outside refrigerator is hooked up to the inverter, should I see current draw when I turn on the inverter? The inverter shows 0 current draw.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:15 PM   #7

THOR #20274
I don't know that much about inverters except what people have said. The inverter I heard uses more power then what it is running so never figure an item takes 10 amps and I have a 100AH battery I can run it for 5 hours. Inverters use power just sitting there and if it was left on for a long period it can run the battery down, that's why most of them have a switch or Bluetooth to turn them off when not needed. If you don't have an amp probe you could use your meter to see if there is a draw. Most average meters have a 10 amp limit on them
Old 01-26-2023, 09:33 PM   #8
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Since it is cold, I didn't even think of that fridge. I have verified, none of the inside 120v TVs are powered by the inverter, also I did not check the outside outlet, the outside outlet in the outside kitchen, the outside TV, or the underbed outlet yet. But if the outside refrigerator is hooked up to the inverter, should I see current draw when I turn on the inverter? The inverter shows 0 current draw.
What do the status lights show? Do they change when connected to SP or not?
Old 01-27-2023, 12:11 AM   #9

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
What do the status lights show? Do they change when connected to SP or not?
Yes, when connected to SP, generator, or engine running inverter control panel usually shows something a little over 13.5v drops to a little under 13v when unplugged engine and generator off.

Old 01-27-2023, 12:23 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Yes, when connected to SP, generator, or engine running inverter control panel usually shows something a little over 13.5v drops to a little under 13v when unplugged engine and generator off.
STATUS LIGHTS not voltage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter Status.png
Views:	39
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	40691  
Old 02-05-2023, 11:30 PM   #11

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
I have read my THOR manual, and they are vague of course sending you to the owners manual. Time to take out the voltmeter and check every outlet. Seems like alot of trouble to install an inverter for just the outside refrigerator. Please list what outlets have pwr when just running on inverter pwr, for the next owner asking same question.

I have installed an 1000W inverter and have one dedicated outlet for one TV and wired it into the refrigerator circuit for pwr while driving. I also labeled it so, for the next guy...the second white wire is for a night light on my table to indicate to me when the inverter is running.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-04-10_17-16-17.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	40767   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-04-11_17-06-57.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	40768  

Name:	2022-04-10_17-15-58.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	40769  
Old 02-06-2023, 03:23 AM   #12

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
I have read my THOR manual, and they are vague of course sending you to the owners manual. Time to take out the voltmeter and check every outlet. Seems like alot of trouble to install an inverter for just the outside refrigerator. Please list what outlets have pwr when just running on inverter pwr, for the next owner asking same question.

I have installed an 1000W inverter and have one dedicated outlet for one TV and wired it into the refrigerator circuit for pwr while driving. I also labeled it so, for the next guy...the second white wire is for a night light on my table to indicate to me when the inverter is running.
According to the Schematic Thor sent me 120v circuit 5A is powered by the inverter. The outlets in this circuit are:

1. The dashboard workstation outlet.
2. The outside TV outlet.
3. The Bedroom TV outlet in overhead.
4. The outside kitchen refrigerator outlet.

I have a 50amp coach this information does not apply to a 30amp coach. So far, the only outlet in this list I have checked is the Workstation outlet and I found it had no power with shore power disconnected, generator off, and inverter on. I used an analog 120v AC "Line Monitor" that I have had for years to check. It does show power with shore power connected. I would not be surprised if it does not work with the output from the inverter.

I have not had an opportunity to do any additional investigation because of an incident with a large chunk of truck tire tread that ripped the tail pipe off the hanger and pushing the tail pipe under the rear tire causing the exhaust system to be pulled down onto the drive shaft and bending the drive shaft.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:52 AM   #13

THOR #24648
Quote:
According to the Schematic Thor sent me 120v circuit 5A is powered by the inverter. The outlets in this circuit are:

1. The dashboard workstation outlet.
2. The outside TV outlet.
3. The Bedroom TV outlet in overhead.
4. The outside kitchen refrigerator outlet.

I have a 50amp coach this information does not apply to a 30amp coach. So far, the only outlet in this list I have checked is the Workstation outlet and I found it had no power with shore power disconnected, generator off, and inverter on. I used an analog 120v AC "Line Monitor" that I have had for years to check. It does show power with shore power connected. I would not be surprised if it does not work with the output from the inverter.

I have not had an opportunity to do any additional investigation because of an incident with a large chunk of truck tire tread that ripped the tail pipe off the hanger and pushing the tail pipe under the rear tire causing the exhaust system to be pulled down onto the drive shaft and bending the drive shaft.
Any further insight?
I have also found that the dashboard workstation outlet does not work on the inverter - but is supposed to. No idea how to rectify that.

B
Old 04-07-2023, 09:41 PM   #14

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by flbill View Post
Any further insight?
I have also found that the dashboard workstation outlet does not work on the inverter - but is supposed to. No idea how to rectify that.

B
I have verified that all the listed outlets except the workstation outlet are connected to the inverter. Unfortunately, that one is the one I would get the most use out of as a place to plug in my computer to access travel information while driving. It is not a big deal since I have a portable inverter that I can use. As for the outdoor refrigerator, it is a residential mini refrigerator that only uses 110V. The only way to keep it cold is to hook up to shore power, run the generator. or turn on the inverter while traveling if you don't have to run the AC.

Old 04-08-2023, 12:51 AM   #15
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I have verified that all the listed outlets except the workstation outlet are connected to the inverter. Unfortunately, that one is the one I would get the most use out of as a place to plug in my computer to access travel information while driving. It is not a big deal since I have a portable inverter that I can use. As for the outdoor refrigerator, it is a residential mini refrigerator that only uses 110V. The only way to keep it cold is to hook up to shore power, run the generator. or turn on the inverter while traveling if you don't have to run the AC.
When we were walking through our ACE before purchase I assumed the workstation outlet was on a small inverter off the chassis battery - makes too much sense, huh? Obviously I was wrong and the Thor engineers could not see that convience.
Old 04-08-2023, 02:39 AM   #16

THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by flbill View Post
Any further insight?

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
When we were walking through our ACE before purchase I assumed the workstation outlet was on a small inverter off the chassis battery - makes too much sense, huh? Obviously I was wrong and the Thor engineers could not see that convience.
I think it is more likely the Coach builders "FORGOT" to wire the workstation outlet to the Inverter. Or, the builders made an unauthorized change to the wiring because it was too much work to run a separate wire from the "Rats Nest" under the bed all the way to the front just for that on outlet. Or perhaps they got confused reading the plans and swapped the wires for the main TV and outside TV. I will have to Figure out which circuit the dash 110V outlet is on. I might be able to fix with just a little rewire starting at the outside TV.

Old 04-08-2023, 02:59 PM   #17

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
I think it is more likely the Coach builders "FORGOT" to wire the workstation outlet to the Inverter. Or, the builders made an unauthorized change to the wiring because it was too much work to run a separate wire from the "Rats Nest" under the bed all the way to the front just for that on outlet. Or perhaps they got confused reading the plans and swapped the wires for the main TV and outside TV. I will have to Figure out which circuit the dash 110V outlet is on. I might be able to fix with just a little rewire starting at the outside TV.
My coach has the same floor plan built in the same factory. The inverter output goes directly to a junction box against the driver's side wall. There should be three wiring cables out of the box. One is for the duplex receptacle on the left side of the bed frame (CPAP) and to the outside fridge, one is for the TVs and the equipment cabinet above the fridge and the last one goes up front to the computer work station. All are 14 AWG Romex.

This does make the rewiring of the coach really easy if you install a larger inverter and sub panel. The 120 volt wiring diagram available from Thor CS does show all the daisy chains of the 120 volt duplex receptacles.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote