Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ace 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #8285
thor ace handling improvement

just got back from a 6000 mile white knuckler around the country.

been studying what folks have to say about the subject. my research suggests that the folks that have this issue do a front end alignment, weigh the coach loaded, make sure the tires are properly inflated, do the chf, and do a steering stabilizer. i will do all the above before my next trip.

here's my question for those that might be kind enough to respond: my unscientific survey says about 70% do the safe-t-plus product, about 25% do the roadmaster, the remainder doing other products or suggesting i leave the rig alone and learn how to drive it. why are so many people spending about $200 more to get the safe-t-plus rather than the roadmaster product?

thanks in advance for your response.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #2

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
As I've done a lot of reading for my soon to arrive ACE, it seems the other two things some do to improve handling is to put in a rear track bar and upgrade springs.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The STP is specifically sized for different weight vehicles and has an enclosed centering spring rather than being exposed like the Roadmaster. I'm sure they are close to the same thing as far as performance but IMHO the STP has better construction. The STP was invented by a trucker as a safety device after seeing and hearing about his friends being killed due to front wheel blowouts. The STP is, more than anything else, a safety device to help you maintain control in the event of a front tire blow out

The F53 benefits the most from three things, front end alignment, chf, and steering stabilizer. I would say that most people do those three things and then quit. I would do each mod, starting with alignment, evaluate the difference, and go from there.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:54 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
[QUOTE=charley patton;81335]just got back from a 6000 mile white knuckler around the country.

been studying what folks have to say about the subject. my research suggests that the folks that have this issue do a front end alignment, weigh the coach loaded, make sure the tires are properly inflated, do the chf, and do a steering stabilizer. i will do all the above before my next trip.

here's my question for those that might be kind enough to respond: my unscientific survey says about 70% do the safe-t-plus product, about 25% do the roadmaster, the remainder doing other products or suggesting i leave the rig alone and learn how to drive it. why are so many people spending about $200 more to get the safe-t-plus rather than the roadmaster product?

thanks in advance

Have my MH for a year on my first trip I could not get over 50MPH and trucks blew me off the road. Had MH weighed was not completely loaded and set PSI to 82 as this is what sticker on wall stated. I had Roadmaster installed mostly in case of a blow out and wandering. It did help some what with wandering but that could be that I was getting used to driving it. Had front and rear wheel alignment done, rotated the front tires to inner rear, as there was slight wearing on front tires, all 6 tires high sped balanced OH WHAT A DIFFERENCE could drive 70 on interstate with out an issue, my normal driving speed is 62, hardly feel push from trucks any longer. Had CHF done biggest difference was the rocking and rolling of the MH my Wife doesn't feel like she is going to get sick any longer. Loaded MH got it weighed and lowered PSI to 80 I could go as low as 75 but I keep extra in just in case I want to fill fresh water tank or drive to new CG with out dumping tanks or just adding some extra supplies, I don't need to fill tires. I truly enjoy driving the MH now good luck and enjoy

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:22 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Learn to drive the mh. No this is not a good answer. Most mh need some kind of suspension upgrades.

This is what I did.
STP Dealer installed it as part of the deal. They picked it not me
Front alignment $140
CHF front and rear Free
4 tire weight. $12 at local truck scales THis has changed because we keep
adding stuff to the mh
Rear track bar $450
Sumo Springs front only $450

For me the rear track bar was the best mod in handling.

I dont really know what the sumos will do. Just added them and I cant drive the mh for a few months. So Ill report more on them later.

To answer your question STP or roadmaster. I think its buyers choice. Like Dave said basically the same thing with the STP spring being encased for protection. STP has good marketing and a good following so they sell a lot of them.

Do one thing at a time, drive the mh, and see if you like the mod. You can spend a lot of money on this. For me the safety of me and the wife is worth the $1000+ that I did spend.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:37 PM   #6

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Louisiana
THOR #6600
I just did all the same mods you have mentioned to my Windsport 34F.. Huge difference!! Went with the road master stabilizer, and am very happy with it so far.!!
Old 08-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Texas
THOR #2953
Another option for steering stabilizer is steersafe.com
Old 08-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Our Axis is not on the F53 frame as is the Ace...however,
..upon purchase Ron had it aligned, etc. We traveled last summer, with no additional 'fixes'...
This Spring, Ron installed Sumo Springs front and rear on our Axis and
feels like he needs to do no more. The Sumo product replaces the bump stops.
He and I can drive down the road without the wandering/over steering affect.
With the firmer steering, winds are not as challenging as before the install.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:29 AM   #9

Model: Windsport 35C
State: Texas
THOR #8449
Quote:
Originally Posted by charley patton View Post
just got back from a 6000 mile white knuckler around the country.

thanks in advance for your response.
Here's how I addressed the driveability problem;1) set tire pressures 2) alignment on loaded RV 3) CHF 4) steering stabilizer 5) rear trac bar. All helped some. Most noticed improvement was after trac bar install. No more white knuckles from minor side wind or pushed off road by big rigs. Also benefit from increasing experience behind wheel in various driving conditions.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:46 AM   #10

Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
THOR #8249
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Learn to drive the mh. No this is not a good answer. Most mh need some kind of suspension upgrades.

This is what I did.
STP Dealer installed it as part of the deal. They picked it not me
Front alignment $140
CHF front and rear Free
4 tire weight. $12 at local truck scales THis has changed because we keep
adding stuff to the mh
Rear track bar $450
Sumo Springs front only $450

For me the rear track bar was the best mod in handling.

I dont really know what the sumos will do. Just added them and I cant drive the mh for a few months. So Ill report more on them later.

To answer your question STP or roadmaster. I think its buyers choice. Like Dave said basically the same thing with the STP spring being encased for protection. STP has good marketing and a good following so they sell a lot of them.

Do one thing at a time, drive the mh, and see if you like the mod. You can spend a lot of money on this. For me the safety of me and the wife is worth the $1000+ that I did spend.

Jerry
I have to agree with Jerry and the others. Yes, Driving a Class A is much different than a car or pickup, but it should not be hard to do.
After working hard to steer my Hurricane for the 3.5 hour drive from Lompoc to Lancaster, I finally thought I was going to pull the trigger on a new Helwig set of swaybars. However, after measuring the Ford diameters, I found they were the same OD as the heavy duty Helwigs were advertised as. At the same time, I found the passenger side of the rear swaybar axle anchor saddle bent back and not holding the Swaybar at all!!!
No wonder I had been fighting it for the drive back.

Bought new saddle, installed it, and performed the CHF on the Rear only. I didn't like the angle of the endlinks on the Front and the front crossmember was in the way of doing anything quick. I figure to make some brackets to do this later.

Other than that, no major suspension mods, just an alignment and lowered the tire pressure to 82 psi. Rides good so far, but some (not all) trucks push me a little when passing. Got it weighed on the last trip at a Flying J, but don't have the numbers right now, just remember it was total of around 17300. Just front and rear axle numbers, not each corner.
Wrpt58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #11

State: Ohio
THOR #8515
I bought a 2017 challenger 37yt,drove 1500 miles first trip,had issues in win and trucks passing. I did a lot of reserch on safe-t-plus,reading and you tube videos. decided to have it installed at the factory out side of atlanta,best thing i could have done. people were great test drove it with installer,he stopped several times and adjusted it. Now on another trip driving one handed,straight down road no sway when semi trucks go by. love it.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Shortly after getting our 30.1 last year we had a tough drive from Denver to Northern California and back. The coach was particularly sensitive to passing trucks and wind (thought I might end up in the Colorado River coming through Debec canyon with 40 MPH gusts). This was with a Safe-T-Plus and front CHF.

Over the winter I had the coach aligned, replaced the way too soft Bilstein shocks with Koni FSD's. did the rear CHF and installed a Super Steer track bar. Handling was orders of magnitude better. Koni's killed the porpoising and the track bar killed almost all of the passing truck push/suck.

Only other issue we have is that on some of the mountain back roads we get lots of sway which I think adding Sumo's will go a long way in fixing. Coming back from Yellowstone via Bear Lake/Vernal/Steamboat, a lot of those 50MPH curve signs really meant 40. Jerry was enticing me to do the Sumo's myself, but I'm still on the fence on that one.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:06 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Front sumo install in about a 1-1 1/2 hour job. Sharp drill bit, floor or bottle jack, rachet and torque wrench is all thats needed.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 09:31 PM   #14

State: Florida
THOR #13111
I'm a newbie.what is a chef? Please and thank you
Old 09-28-2018, 10:26 PM   #15

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbeasley View Post
I'm a newbie.what is a chef? Please and thank you
Actually its CHF - Cheap Handling Fix. The front and rear sway bars on an F-53 chassis have two holes that can be used to attach them to links to the frame. Ford ships with the links attached to the holes closest to the end of the bars. Moving the links to the inside holes stiffens the sway bar and gives you a better ride. It’s a do it yourself job if you are at all competent with a wrench.

Search CHF or Cheap Handling Fix on this forum or on IRV2 and you will find hundreds, if not thousands of posts. The original, and largest thread is on IRV2. Over a million views and 5,300 posts.

Cheap Handling Fix - iRV2 Forums
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote