Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanne View Post
thank you. Going to check coach battery now. hopefully this is as simple as resetting the 100 amp breaker. Will the generator run if only have 1/4 tank of gas?
Not usually. The pick-up pipe for the generator is short to prevent the generator from running the coach out of fuel, but it isn't calibrated. It could be off as much as 10 gallons depending on the tilt of the coach and the guy that installed the pickup.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 PM   #22

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Quote:
thank you. Going to check coach battery now. hopefully this is as simple as resetting the 100 amp breaker. Will the generator run if only have 1/4 tnk of gas?

If the generator cranks (starter motor on the generator turns the gen engine to try to start) then your 100 amp breaker is probably OK (not tripped). A visual check of the breaker would also confirm that (no little arm popped out of the breaker). A quarter tank is probably close to not supplying gas to the generator.....but I don't know if there is a precise value for that cutoff.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #23

Model: Thor Ace
State: New York
THOR #16665
the 100 amp breaker does not have reset and i cant figure out how to attach picture. the coach battery was dead after all and charging now. Pathetic how little i know about all . maybe pic will show here, https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/ma...ils=true&pid=2.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:29 PM   #24

THOR #16665
Forgot to mention low on gas so generator will not start. Family member says if 1/4 tank then generator will not start., ?? Charging coach battery with disconnect on - not plugged into shore. hope thats right, Did not remove battery vent caps.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #25

THOR #16665
https://apis.mail.yahoo.com/ws/v3/ma...ils=true&pid=2
here is the pic of 100 amp breaker - dont see any arm that tripped.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #26

THOR #16665
found the push button under the 100 amp breaker. pressed it. charging coach battery. willnot start maybe because coach battery is dead. maybe battery needs distilled water .
Old 09-10-2019, 12:56 AM   #27

THOR #2631
Quote:
Forgot to mention low on gas so generator will not start. Family member says if 1/4 tank then generator will not start., ?? Charging coach battery with disconnect on - not plugged into shore. hope thats right, Did not remove battery vent caps.

So you have a discharged coach battery.....and I would bet money that the old original chassis battery is probably not fully charged either.....just guessing though.

Leave the shore power disconnected for now; do you still get a yellow light "on" beside the coach battery disconnect switch at the door? If that lamp is not "on" try to turn on the coach disconnect switch. If the lamp will not light and you don't hear a clunk from the BCC in the engine bay then probably your coach batteries are too discharged to operate the latching relay in the BCC. In order to charge the coach batteries you need that latching relay to be operated "on".

If that coach disconnect switch lamp is "on", now plug in the shore power cord so the converter (coach battery charger) will be powered and start charging the coach batteries. If you have a voltmeter put the test leads across the coach battery terminals (+ and -) and measure the voltage. If the coach batteries are actually charging now you should read at least 12.8 or more (likely 13vdc or more). If you don't see that voltage then the batteries are still not charging and there may be other issues. In that case the simplest way to charge the batteries is directly attach a car battery charger (make sure it's hooked up correctly and that it is charging....some newer electronic battery chargers won't charge a badly discharged battery).

Based on the series of issues you have and your RV inexperience, I would highly suggest hiring a reputable mobile RV tech to help you sort things out.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:50 AM   #28

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
Javelin, thanks for all the great info. I am going to copy all of this for the next time I have trouble with the batteries. You have the same rig we do 2013 A.C.E.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:15 AM   #29

THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by lal22 View Post
Javelin, thanks for all the great info. I am going to copy all of this for the next time I have trouble with the batteries. You have the same rig we do 2013 A.C.E.

Glad to help. That is the purpose of a community forum IMO.....help each other where we can, keep learning new things along the way and pay it forward when possible. I have been pretty lucky with my old ACE....it's not perfect, but compared to many horror stories on this forum it has treated us well over the years with common sense operation and maintenance (knocking on wood now).

I think the biggest value item for me was finding and understanding the BCC operation document......the heart of the battery management for many coaches. I'll try attaching the RV Custom Document here FYI. It is for an old Hurricane coach......but much of the description etc applies to the 2013 ACE and many other coaches with that BCC. There is also a very good video on UTube showing the removal, dismantle and reinstall of the BCC. I don't have the link handy, but if you ever need to replace latching relays etc that is a good one to have. Hope you enjoy your ACE as much as we have so far.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV custom products.pdf (414.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-10-2019, 03:25 AM   #30

THOR #14952
Thanks Javelin, I sent myself a copy, will print it & keep with the RV documents we have been collecting to keep with us when we are on the road.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:29 AM   #31

THOR #2631
A followup to lal22 previous post: the Utube video link regarding the BCC removal and internal views if anyone is interested. Many of the electrical precautions are not shown but it is interesting to watch if you have never been into the box before. A giant PIA to get out or replace a relay though. Hope the link works. This is not a job for folks not familiar with working on battery systems or using safe electrical practises.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:01 AM   #32

THOR #14952
The link works, I won't be messing around in there, but will leave up to my DH. Thanks for providing the link. I was just on another thread where you were discussing your cruise control woes & the solution you found. Figure I will add to all the other info I have, maybe head off a problem I would have in the future.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #33

State: Colorado
THOR #6792
Seems like charging system vary on some RVs , personally I'd remove chassis battery and have it tested at any part store. Also get a bolt meter first ,start unit to see if your charging system it putting out voltage to that battery. Also how old is this battery? They can fail just like that! If you do end up replacing that battery may I suggest getting one at Walmart, good as any other and if you have battery trouble again, Walmarts are every where, and great price. I could go on as there's so much to look at, it's a start..
Old 09-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #34

THOR #16665
thank you. We did take the batteries out and tested them. They are both bad since they dont hold charge - but think they are covered under warranty. The batteries are only a year old. in process of getting them replaced. Still do not know why they died so taking to shop to try to figure out what the problem is - possibly inverter. ??
Old 09-15-2019, 12:01 AM   #35

Model: ACE 29.2
State: California
THOR #2580
I have the same RV and went through several battery over a 1 year period.
I noticed several problems where as one of the house batteries would get hot while on shore power.
I found a lose grounding connection under the bed on the right side, there is a grounding strip with screws in them.
Just make sure there all tight.
Second thing I found is to only use AGM batteries
( comparable to the oem) once I installed these all of the problems I had with the batteries stopped.

Just for your information you have the circuit breaker towards the bottom center of the generator.
next to the house batteries you have a breaker on the upper right wall that when tripped will have a small red arm (flag) that will slide out signaling the unit has tripped ( you can locate this by locating the two red battery cables that are connected to the black breaker)
Old 09-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #36

THOR #6792
Maybe I misunderstood, thought I read chassis battery, not the 2 house batteries.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #37

THOR #16665
Thank you!! Will check and let you know. Great info!
Old 09-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #38

THOR #16665
we one house and one chassis and both are dead. Thank you.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:07 PM   #39

THOR #6792
My understanding the alternator on the engine charges your chassis battery, on some RVs it might house also IF it's setup that way. Now on my rig it works that way. Now if I have rig plugged in to normal garage electricity (15 to 20 ) amps and leave the switch on , meaning storage vs use button, so I have it on use ,the inverter will charge house batteries 1st then charge chassis battery. By the way we have a 2014 Thor ace 30.1
Old 09-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #40

THOR #2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickuc57 View Post
My understanding the alternator on the engine charges your chassis battery, on some RVs it might house also IF it's setup that way. Now on my rig it works that way. Now if I have rig plugged in to normal garage electricity (15 to 20 ) amps and leave the switch on , meaning storage vs use button, so I have it on use ,the inverter will charge house batteries 1st then charge chassis battery. By the way we have a 2014 Thor ace 30.1

Just a small clarification. I think you meant the "converter" will charge house batteries first not "inverter". Converter: converts 120VAC to 12VDC.......Inverter is the opposite 12VDC to 120VAC.