Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2019, 07:19 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation Thor Adding Winegard ConnecT 2.0 across Thor Products

Thor posted on Facebook today that they are adding the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 system to all Thor 2020 products. Big question is how much it will cost.
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/blog/...d-connect-2020

Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You can buy them through Amazon for about $340 or so...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:31 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ARIA 3901
State: New Jersey
THOR #5141
I have it in my 2019 I'm going to try and get the 65.00 a month prepaid plan from Verizon for real unlimited data. Just have to stop into the Verizon store and see if I can get the Sim card to install in the Wineguard.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:44 AM   #4

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
I have it in my 2019 I'm going to try and get the 65.00 a month prepaid plan from Verizon for real unlimited data. Just have to stop into the Verizon store and see if I can get the Sim card to install in the Wineguard.
You better hurry. That plan is supposed to end on may 21st.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #5

Model: Allegro Open Road
THOR #8069
Just installed one on my 2018 Windsport 29M. Bets much better WIFI signal and has better security.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If the Winegard adds some security:
Old 05-18-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
You better hurry. That plan is supposed to end on may 21st.

Thanks! Just called and signed up.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:38 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
So I'm reviving this thread in case it is helpful to anyone else......

I purchased a 2020 Magnitude SV34 in October and according to Thor (per the OP's original link) it came with the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 and should be eligible for the AT&T Unlimited Data Plan ($360/yr) or the Monthly Data Plan (5GB for $25/mo).

Well after doing a bunch of research, it seemed like the unit had to say TOGO Roadlink on it. Those devices come with an AT&T Sim Card so you can connect to AT&T for the unlimited plan option.

From everything else I read, it looked like the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 came with a Winegard Sim Card for their data plan but you could swap it out with a Sim Card from AT&T or Verizon. The Winegard Connect 2.0 is almost identical to the TOGO Roadlink which is also made by Winegard except the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 does not have the GPS locator option that the TOGO unit has. On top of all that Thor owns the TOGO Roadlink brand.

Before I decided to try and activate the AT&T Unlimited Data Plan online, I climbed up on the roof and pulled the Sim Card. To my surprise it was an AT&T Sim Card and not a Winegard Sim Card. I assumed that Thor installed the AT&T Sim Carfs during production so we could take advantage of the Unlimited Data Plan from AT&T.

I went to this website to enter my units information and purchase the $360/yr data plan.

https://www.att.com/plans/connected-...-roadlink.html

The AT&T website accepted the Sim Card ICCID number and the Winegard IMEI number and they took my $360. I got an email and text notification rom AT&T about 30 minutes later that my activation was successful.

However, the unit did connected to the AT&T network but would not give me Internet access. After a short time later the unit said Access Denied for the AT&T network. I called AT&T support and got a very nice gal who spent 45 minutes with me trying to get it to work. After trying everything we could she had to escalate it to another team to see if they could get it on the network. I am waiting now for a callback to see if they can make any progress.

Before I decided to try an activate the unit on AT&T I did contact Thor to get clarification from Customer Service that the 2020 model were in fact eligible for the $360 data plan as their website stated. She said she had heard people were having problems getting them activated with the AT&T unlimited plan. She asked me a bunch of questions but I had already gone through everything she asked me. Basically the Winegard app requires you to scan a code that is on the User Manual to gain access to the TOGO Roadlink unlimited plan. My manual did not have the code but I did find the above AT&T website to access it.

I also contacted Winegard Support and this is what they told me:

"We do not know what plans are available for the standard ConnecT 2.0 products.

The RoadLink plans are specific to that device as they were negotiated between Togo and AT&T.

Togo is a division of Thor, they have an aftermarket version of the RoadLink. The model is WF2-35B. It might be worth a try to see if they would swap them out so you can use the $360 yearly unlimited plan."

If AT&T can't get it work, I will be contacting Thor to ask them about all of this and whether they installed the wrong units during production or they mislead everyone by saying the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 they were installing was eligible for the AT&T Unlimited Data Plan.

I do find it interesting there were two documents on the Customer Resource Site for my Magnitude. One document was for the Winegard Model WF-95B and the other document was for the Model WF2-35B that Winegard Support mentioned. That document specifically references that the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 runs with TOGO.

Stay tuned if you are interested in the outcome of all this....
Old 12-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #9

THOR #5141
Very interested!

I have the ConnecT 2.0 that came installed on my 2019 Aria. I have not looked to see what sim card is installed. I assumed it was the Winegard sim,

with their data rates I was not interested at all.

I was considering swapping the ConnecT 2.0 with The TOGO. But if the ConnecT will work with the AT&T 360.00 a year plan that would be cool!
Old 12-01-2019, 04:59 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I've tried to find value to this system.
I cannot.
The data stream is available through my Hotspot enabled phone.
If I need a stronger signal a cell booster benefits everyone riding in the rv.
It is remarkably less expensive through my phone. I think it's 40 bucks a month and follows ME instead of being locked onto the rv roof.

What's the allure of this system?
It's added expense, it's a thing on the roof, it's locked to the rv.

I sway easily. If you can convince me of value, I'll buy one tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #11

THOR #5141
My take is that its an alternative to a Hot spot on your phone, My Internet setup as of now is Verizon. I have hotspot available on my phones and I also have A Verizon Unlimited pre paid MIFI 8800l

I will be going Full time in the spring and my thoughts are that having AT&T thru the Wingard or the TOGO would complement my verizon devices nicely. The AT&T plan is 30.00 a month for unlimited data. From what I have read from folks that have it is that it works very well and they have been happy with it.

It also is a wifi booster so it will increase your range when the wifi signal (like say in a campground) is weak. Its mounted on the roof so elevation helps. And will help all the devices connected to it.

If your signed up for a data plan it also will act as a cell signal booster (not for your cell phone) for the carrier that you have (AT&T in my case). Because of the roof mounted antennas in the unit. And will help all the devices connected to it.

So IMHO it does serve some very useful purposes.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #12

THOR #13932
OK, I understand that if you're a full timer YOU are as tied to the rv as the system is and the value can be increased by the multiple of days you spend with the rv versus an average recreational user. A full timer 365 days outweighs a weekender by about 26:1.

If you weren't going full time, how would the system be of value to you?
When in your tow'd(my assumption is many full timers have a tow'd) wouldn't an unlimited data plan tied to your Mobile phone be of greater value for waze and weather and yelp?

My whole rv cell phone booster antenna sits just as high on the rv.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #13

THOR #5141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
OK, I understand that if you're a full timer YOU are as tied to the rv as the system is and the value can be increased by the multiple of days you spend with the rv versus an average recreational user. A full timer 365 days outweighs a weekender by about 26:1.

If you weren't going full time, how would the system be of value to you?
When in your tow'd(my assumption is many full timers have a tow'd) wouldn't an unlimited data plan tied to your Mobile phone be of greater value for waze and weather and yelp?

My whole rv cell phone booster antenna sits just as high on the rv.

Yes I agree IF you don't use your RV that much (and I don't know how much "that much" is) there would not be very much value. The cost of the unit is around 330 and the data plan is another 360 so your almost 700 in without install.

But the value trends up if the RV came with it. I would guess you paid something for your cell phone booster (unless it came with your RV).

Also a lot depends on your cell provider and the plan you have, balanced with the amount of time you use it.

The Winegard/TOGO setup will definitely benefit a full timer/alot of timer. But maybe not a weekender or a couple of weeks a year type user.

This equip does not replace a cell phone with hotspot capability but just adds to the options available. I use my Verizon 8800 MIFI or my Cell phone for internet while in the tow'd.

I guess like anything else, the more you use it the better the value.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:24 PM   #14

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
It says "Thor Motor Homes" not all Thor products Also some more exclusions

*Does not include Daybreak, Freedom Elite and Freedom Traveler brands.

Bill
Old 12-01-2019, 09:14 PM   #15

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
It came on my 20' Magnitude and works like a champ. Setup can be a bit confusing, but there's a very good tutorial on Youtube that walks you through it. For a $1 a day, I couldn't find a good reason to try anything else, and being that we use Cricket phones that have some connectivity issues while traveling, having a system on a different network gives us some piece of mind.
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:50 PM   #16

THOR #13932
Thanks.
The things I don't know, I Really don't know, so I always ask when I can't figure it out.
I needed to make sure that thing didn't benefit me.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:16 PM   #17

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbach View Post
It came on my 20' Magnitude and works like a champ. Setup can be a bit confusing, but there's a very good tutorial on Youtube that walks you through it. For a $1 a day, I couldn't find a good reason to try anything else, and being that we use Cricket phones that have some connectivity issues while traveling, having a system on a different network gives us some piece of mind.
I have a 2020 Magnitude as well. I have watched a bunch of videos as well. I used the AT&T site and it took my IMEI and ICCID numbers and told me it was activated but I still get the Access Denied message. AT&T is still working on it for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 5.52.42 PM.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	21697  
Old 12-01-2019, 10:18 PM   #18

THOR #12751
I have also found another issue with the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 and e-mailed Winegard Support about it.

If I put my Use / Store switch in Store and cut the power to the coach the Winegard unit loses all of its information. I configure it with my own SSID, WPA2 passcode and Administrator password. As soon as I put it into Store and the power is cut to the unit, everything goes back to the default setting.

It should be storing this information in flash memory. I'll see what Winegard Supprot has to say about it.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:24 PM   #19

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Thanks.
The things I don't know, I Really don't know, so I always ask when I can't figure it out.
I needed to make sure that thing didn't benefit me.

I pay $160 a month for an AT&T cell phone plan for me and the wife with 12GB of data per month. We use the HotSpot feature often and on occasion we will hit our limit.

Since we are planning to spend 3 - 4 month a year in the coach in another 18 months or so, we would end up using data much more than we do now for the occasional weekend trips and our day to day lives. For $30/month unlimited date for Internet, streaming live TV and movies, etc., you can't beat the $30/month if you are going to use the coach a lot.

I also find the Winegard unit gets a better signal than my cell phone being on the roof. It also boosts the WiFi signal when your using someone else's WiFi. Most importantly... of you are using Internet to pay bills, access bank accounts, etc., it can offer a more secure connection depending on how you set it up as compared to using wide open WiFi.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #20

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
It says "Thor Motor Homes" not all Thor products Also some more exclusions

*Does not include Daybreak, Freedom Elite and Freedom Traveler brands.

Bill
I've got a 2020 Thor Magnitude so I should fall under the coaches that have the Winegard ConnecT 2.0 that is eligible for the AT&T unlimited data plan for $360/year.