Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Automatic transfer switch question

I keep my RV plugged in to 15 AMP 110v when in storage to keep the batteries trickle charged. Sometimes I need the AC on while doing interior maintenance work - it gets hot here in SW Georgia. If I turn on the generator so I can run the AC, do I need to disconnect the 110 shore power to avoid "confusing" or damaging the transfer switch? Can I leave it plugged in with the generator running?

Old 09-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
I keep my RV plugged in to 15 AMP 110v when in storage to keep the batteries trickle charged. Sometimes I need the AC on while doing interior maintenance work - it gets hot here in SW Georgia. If I turn on the generator so I can run the AC, do I need to disconnect the 110 shore power to avoid "confusing" or damaging the transfer switch? Can I leave it plugged in with the generator running?
The quick answer is yes. The codicil is you should always shutoff all heavy current draw devices before switching the current sources. The primary function of the ATS is to prevent the shoreline from becoming live when the generator is running. As such it is designed and built as a safety device. It can transmit the load it is designed for but it can not transfer its full rated load without some degradation, especially when electric motors (A/C) are involved.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Sorry, I had a poorly worded post. Do your answer mean yes, I need to disconnect shore power, or yes, it is OK to leave plugged in with the generator running?
Old 09-09-2020, 05:46 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
Sorry, I had a poorly worded post. Do your answer mean yes, I need to disconnect shore power, or yes, it is OK to leave plugged in with the generator running?
You DO NOT have to disconnect the shore power in order the run the generator. You DO need to turn off the A/C or any high current device before starting the generator, as after the generator starts and the 1-2 minute delay, the ATS will switch to generator power. The generator has priority over shore power. When you stop the generator, shore power will be automatically restored. Just be sure to turn off the A/C or any high current device before stopping the generator.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:06 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Leave it plugged in. That's what the "automatic", in automatic transfer switch stands for!

Tags
automatic transfer switch