Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2019, 01:03 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Are you sure that you don't want them to throw in some worthwhile incentives?

You know: something like a nice Sprinter-Based Class C?
You in the market AGAIN?

Old 10-25-2019, 03:04 AM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
...I watched, but now I'm even more confused....they taunt the 'lithium' as equivalent to 80 'regular' house batteries...o.k., but the video shows a GENERATOR up front, not some '40,000' amp hours of Lithium...and even MHSRV's own printed advertisement says '6 house batteries'. The ad even says '10k Generator', even though the video shows a 8k generator...

which is it????? Is it a LITHIUM powered coach, with NO generator, or is it just a Lithium 'House Battery' powered coach?

I’m pretty certain it’s not 40,000 amp hours. That would be off the charts.

The MSRP shows under options a 40,000W lithium package costing $125,250.

Video states 40,000W and 36,000 Watt-hour.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	53AF8E90-ED2B-4A28-8992-CA53E343127B.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	21059  
Old 10-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
You in the market AGAIN?
Me? . I'm happier than a clam in wet sand...
Old 10-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... But a thought did occur...
Thor says that this rig is hand-built to showcase the new technology.
Do you think that they would DARE to release it in anything but perfect condition?
This one might just be built to the standards that we have been looking for!
Old 10-25-2019, 12:52 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I just took a good look at that rig:

https://www.mhsrv.com/2020-thor-moto...er-tx-i2530960

It is pretty darn gorgeous!
And for that money: it almost seems like a bargain!
(About 46% off retail!)
Bob, Super gorgeous!
...the only photo that scares me is. Who is going to be the first one sitting on that wooden seat in the shower??? My toilet paper holder fell off the wall by the time I drove home from the dealership?
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I am the eternal optimist...
I don't think that Thor would DARE build such a technologically important piece: if it wasn't perfect right out of the gate!
This might just be THE Thor to buy!
(And at 42% off of retail too! )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #27

THOR #2121
I have difficult time imagining people in a 45-foot bus needing that much battery capacity. It seems a mismatch.

Best use of lithium technology is probably for those boondocking on a regular basis, and I expect owners of 45-ft rigs to normally stay in luxury resorts. I may be completely wrong though.

I guess you can visit National Parks, boondock at football games, etc. with a 45-ft motorhome, although I expect the demand for this type of motorhome isn’t that great. And even if it had lithium batteries for convenience, why so much?
Old 10-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's not really about how you'd expect someone to use that RV...
Thor chose to showcase the technology in their flagship vehicle.
But I would never dare to question how someone will want to use their rig.
You might want to spend an evening (or more!!); in a Walmart parking lot. You might as well do it in "top-shelf" fashion!
Old 10-25-2019, 05:08 PM   #29

THOR #2121
That’s what marketing and product development guys get the big bucks to get right, otherwise they create products no one wants or can afford. The right product at the right price doesn’t normally have to be discounted so much.

Besides, $125,000?

You can buy an entire Tesla with more than twice the battery capacity for less.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Speaking of Tesla...
My Missus has a Nephrologist; who has the Model S...
He absolutely LOVES it!

Old 10-25-2019, 05:33 PM   #31

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I think there's some confusion on this 'new' versus 'prototype' Tuscany...

One video I saw, with Steve from Thor showing it off and asking questions of the battery manufacturer rep at a trade show, was a FULLY BATTERY powered house - NO generator. This was a huge Lithium battery bank in the old 'generator' compartment, replacing the need for any generator. It also required the THREE pure sine wave INVERTERS, mounting in the main slide. You could run your whole coach off this battery bank with no need for Shore Power - everything, including the three roof air conditioners. It had the additional large alternator to help charge the battery bank while traveling, and also the integration of the Solar panels on the roof, as well.

This ADVERTISEMENT from MHSRV and it's video seems to only be showing a 'Lithium version' of a Tuscany, with most everything else being the same, including a Large GENERATOR, which is not really anything 'new', per se. The video IS confusing, though, almost as though it has clips of both versions of this Tuscany, showing the three Inverters in one clip, while showing a Generator in another, but yet NOTHING about the huge Lithium Battery bank....

I'm still confused. The MHSRV video 'looks' like it is alluding to the 'prototype' Tuscany, special built by the factory for 'display' purposes, yet the info attached to it, and the generator in front, tell me otherwise.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #32

THOR #2121
The video for original prototype starts by stating they got rid of generator, so you’re correct.

https://youtu.be/Cnnon-_zpo0
Old 10-25-2019, 09:05 PM   #33

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m pretty certain it’s not 40,000 amp hours. That would be off the charts.

The MSRP shows under options a 40,000W lithium package costing $125,250.

Video states 40,000W and 36,000 Watt-hour.
that tuscany has been there a while. 125k for the volta system is PRICEY to say the least. you could buy ten onan gennys for that price.
but they have discounted the rig to offset eh option price.
bet its still there come january. huge gamble to take it on imo

399k is also still hmmmmm to much for the unit. but i am thrifty
Old 10-25-2019, 09:58 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
The video for original prototype starts by stating they got rid of generator, so you’re correct.

https://youtu.be/Cnnon-_zpo0
But how many times have your heard this little ditty?v

"Specifications are subject to change without prior notification."

They probably thought it best to give folks a bit of a "lifeboat"; in case they got nervous about the batteries...
Old 10-25-2019, 11:05 PM   #35

THOR #2121
It’s a fine line balancing between higher costs and capabilities in my opinion. If the RV has enough battery capacity so it doesn’t need a generator as a backup, then it needs extremely high recharging rate to get the batteries charged back up in short period. That’s tough on a system with 36,000 Watt-hour of usable capacity.

On the other hand, if you’re going to include a generator anyway as a backup, then why spend so much on that much battery capacity? Granted, if the cost is indeed around $300 per kWh (or lower) as Jamie reports, then 36 kWh is under $11,000, so the high system cost is coming from somewhere else.

The difference between $125,000 for this lithium system seems out of proportion with what Winnebago charges, about $20,000, for the much smaller Travato system. And even that seems high to me.

Personally, I like the idea of having just enough batteries to boondock overnight, assuming you’re going to be driving next day to recharge. Initially that’s where I see the sweet spot between cost and capabilities, or most bang for the buck.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #36

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
Quote:
It’s a fine line balancing between higher costs and capabilities in my opinion. If the RV has enough battery capacity so it doesn’t need a generator as a backup, then it needs extremely high recharging rate to get the batteries charged back up in short period. That’s tough on a system with 36,000 Watt-hour of usable capacity.

On the other hand, if you’re going to include a generator anyway as a backup, then why spend so much on that much battery capacity? Granted, if the cost is indeed around $300 per kWh (or lower) as Jamie reports, then 36 kWh is under $11,000, so the high system cost is coming from somewhere else.

The difference between $125,000 for this lithium system seems out of proportion with what Winnebago charges, about $20,000, for the much smaller Travato system. And even that seems high to me.

Personally, I like the idea of having just enough batteries to boondock overnight, assuming you’re going to be driving next day to recharge. Initially that’s where I see the sweet spot between cost and capabilities, or most bang for the buck.
you hit a high point. it has an extra engine driven alternator to try to recharge. i could see a CG inquiring about how long to recharge, when you you have 100 amps of a/c power and over half that is just to run the equipment in the coach.

its a big battery bank and the earlier items on it suggested days of running the roof top a/c units. but at 125K i would stick with a 8k watt genny or 10k watt
Old 10-26-2019, 12:24 AM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah Tesla is paying close to $100 /kWh these days (scale: they are turning out cars at a phenomenal rate).

They also use a different chemistry than what is/likely will be used in RVs. Even so, though, $125k can get you a very nice EV (not just a Tesla, but a Jaguar, or an Audi even) with a bigger battery.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 02:15 AM   #38

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
you hit a high point. it has an extra engine driven alternator to try to recharge. i could see a CG inquiring about how long to recharge, when you you have 100 amps of a/c power and over half that is just to run the equipment in the coach.

its a big battery bank and the earlier items on it suggested days of running the roof top a/c units. but at 125K i would stick with a 8k watt genny or 10k watt

Yeah. Pictures of that motorhome show it has 3 air conditioners. Combined they could easily require 3,600 Watts (likely more), so if air conditioning during day in hot weather, they could drain batteries in about 10 hours. And if it wasn’t for generator, you’d have to run the 450 HP diesel for about 4 hours if alternator can charge at 9,000 Watts (assuming no other loads). If still running A/Cs, it would take over 5 or 6 hours of fast idling.

Its easy to see why Thor added a generator to the Tuscany with lithium package (compared to prototype). I expect those buying that kind of luxurious coach want few compromises.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:26 AM   #39

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah Tesla is paying close to $100 /kWh these days (scale: they are turning out cars at a phenomenal rate).

They also use a different chemistry than what is/likely will be used in RVs. Even so, though, $125k can get you a very nice EV (not just a Tesla, but a Jaguar, or an Audi even) with a bigger battery.

Volta site states they use same battery chemistry as auto industry, so battery cost could be fairly low.

I think so much of required battery capacity is driven by air conditioning, that some company needs to focus on designing and building an ultra-efficient RV air conditioner. Rather than throwing more money at larger batteries, inverters and alternators, more efficient air conditioners should cost less.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:39 AM   #40
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Volta site states they use same battery chemistry as auto industry, so battery cost could be fairly low.

I think so much of required battery capacity is driven by air conditioning, that some company needs to focus on designing and building an ultra-efficient RV air conditioner. Rather than throwing more money at larger batteries, inverters and alternators, more efficient air conditioners should cost less.
Just need to scale this guy up.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote